• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chick-fil-A Derangement Syndrome

Blackadder1916 said:
They probably budget their time for what they think is important, in likely much the same way as people who spend a lot of time on this forum.  ::)

So little time and so little to do.  :)

Brad Sallows said:
Regarding what the owners fund, it's their money.  Those who don't want to work or shop there need not do so.  Those for whom that is not enough are free to whine and demonstrate.

The 4th amendment is narrow:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

There is no established federal religion; I'm almost certain there are no established state religions (maybe there is an obscure law on the books somewhere that amounts to one?) for Congress to try to disestablish.  Other than that, Congress is restrained from prohibiting the free exercise of religion, but not from accommodating it.  I'd expect to see more accommodation (public monuments, open expression, etc) rather than less, of all religions that care to assert a public presence.

It sure is easy to become oppressive while claiming to fight oppression.

Push too hard against peoples' freedoms to express their cultural quiffs - particularly among enclaves of themselves - and they will push back (as we have seen).  On this point, I don't mean to argue that it is right or required to yield, only that it is practical.  It was stupid to drive evangelicals into Trump's camp, but Democrats were - and still are - determined to leave no refuge for religion anywhere in public life.

So? Equal time for Sharia law in the US? What about Mormon polygamy? I don't think so.

How about this one from the Texas Constitution:

Sec. 4.  RELIGIOUS TESTS.  No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/SOTWDocs/CN/htm/CN.1.htm

:cheers:

Blackadder1916 said:
They probably budget their time for what they think is important, in likely much the same way as people who spend a lot of time on this forum.  ::)
Zackly - just like all those yellow vest convoy participants not too long ago.  I don't recall many people asking about their leave or job status during the protest.

>Equal time for Sharia law in the US? What about Mormon polygamy?

If by sharia law you mean more than just a mechanism for resolving civil disputes (similar to the issue that came up in Ontario a while back), I suppose it would conflict too much with constitutional law and very little would remain after scrubbing it down.

Regarding the latter, polymarriage should have the same status as SSM or any other marriage.  SSM proponents made the case on freedom to love whom one pleases and on expression of sexuality; that should apply equally to all subject only to the hard stops on things like age of consent.

>provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being.

Some might choose to interpret that as "establishment of religion", even if it is not establishment of a particular religion.  Texas is still just a state, though, not the federal Congress.

Brad Sallows said:
>Equal time for Sharia law in the US? What about Mormon polygamy?

If by sharia law you mean more than just a mechanism for resolving civil disputes (similar to the issue that came up in Ontario a while back), I suppose it would conflict too much with constitutional law and very little would remain after scrubbing it down.

The trouble with religious beliefs is that there are so many interpretations that they have few boundaries. There is no constitutional law in the US that impacts on criminal law as criminal law is a state matter except in very narrow limited federal areas. There is really nothing which would stop a sudden mass migration of Muslims to, lets say Wyoming, where they could make Sharia law legal. I'm not saying this as part of an anti-Muslim campaign but merely as an example of how dangerous a legal system can be that allows a majority's religious concepts free rein over and above fundamental human rights of minorities.

Brad Sallows said:
Regarding the latter, polymarriage should have the same status as SSM or any other marriage.  SSM proponents made the case on freedom to love whom one pleases and on expression of sexuality; that should apply equally to all subject only to the hard stops on things like age of consent.

I tend to agree. My biggest complaint about polygamous sects is that they frequently are the result of indoctrinating children into a system of life that accepts and permits old males attaining positions of dominance over child brides. If we were talking about polyamorous relationships between free-ranging adults, rather than brain-washed children, I would have absolutely no problem with it.

Brad Sallows said:
>provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being.

Some might choose to interpret that as "establishment of religion", even if it is not establishment of a particular religion.  Texas is still just a state, though, not the federal Congress.

Give it time, Brad. Give it time.  This movement is still young. It really only started after Jimmy Carter proved more liberal than his Christian supporters wanted at which time folks in the New Christian Right movement started to become heavily influential at all levels of state and federal politics. In effect Christian conservatives turn out in elections in far larger numbers than their liberal counterparts and as such have a disproportionate impact on ensuring that candidates that espouse their particular beliefs come into power. See here: for an overview:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_right

What should concern people who believe in true freedom is the fact that while much of their targeting goes towards their ilk of politician, there is a second agenda which is to loosen government funding of private, homes schooled religious education whose primary purpose is to indoctrinate children from earliest childhood on. Betsy DeVos, the current Secretary of Education, is a very strong advocate for charter schools, school voucher programs and and school choice programs all of which are designed to move children out of the mostly secular public school programs and into highly structured religious schools.

If you've ever studied propaganda programs you'll see that:

Of all the potential targets for propaganda, children are the most vulnerable because they are the least prepared with the critical reasoning and contextual comprehension they need to determine whether a message is propaganda or not. The attention children give their environment during development, due to the process of developing their understanding of the world, causes them to absorb propaganda indiscriminately.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda

Make no mistake. What is going on in the States is a massive propaganda program/political movement which is growing. This in large part is why the free press is described as the "enemy". Chick-fil-A is but a small cog in what is a very large and growing machine.

:cheers:

milnews.ca said:
Zackly - just like all those yellow vest convoy participants not too long ago.  I don't recall many people asking about their leave or job status during the protest.

I myself didn't think about it at the time. Maybe people felt supporting the oil and gas industry was more significant than people protesting a chicken joint who's owners subscribe to the no same sex stuff from the Bible.

Same sex marriage is legal in Canada. That's not changing. These people are just protesting someone else's religious opinions.

FJAG said:
If we were talking about polyamorous relationships between free-ranging adults, rather than brain-washed children, I would have absolutely no problem with it.

Some women might have absolutely no problem with it.

Why most women benefit from polygamy and most men benefit from monogamy
https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/200802/the-paradox-polygamy-ii-why-most-women-benefit-polygamy
George Bernard Shaw observed, “The maternal instinct leads a woman to prefer a tenth share in a first rate man to the exclusive possession of a third rate one.”

Or, as the comedian Bill Maher asked his panel on his TV show Politically Incorrect on January 7, 1998, “Would you rather be the second or third wife of Mel Gibson or the only wife of Willard Scott?”, to which one of the panelists, the conservative commentator and activist Susan Carpenter McMillan, responded, “If it comes to Mel Gibson, I wouldn’t care if I was one, two, or three.” Of course, this was back when Mel Gibson was highly desirable. Substitute Matt Damon for Mel Gibson. The cast of characters changes in a decade, but the principle remains the same.

All this talk about "free-ranging" adults and chickens reminds me of the old joke,

When Calvin Coolidge was president, the President and Mrs. Coolidge were being shown [separately] around an experimental government farm. When [Mrs. Coolidge] came to the chicken yard she noticed that a rooster was mating very frequently. She asked the attendant how often that happened and was told, "Dozens of times each day." Mrs. Coolidge said, "Tell that to the President when he comes by." Upon being told, the President asked, "Same hen every time?" The reply was, "Oh, no, Mr. President, a different hen every time." President: "Tell that to Mrs. Coolidge."

Jarnhamar said:
Maybe people felt supporting the oil and gas industry was more significant than people protesting a chicken joint who's owners subscribe to the no same sex stuff from the Bible.
For sure, and nothing wrong with either as long as it's all clean & civil.  It's just that I've seen others on social media
questioning the employment/leave status of one kind of protester while they protest without asking the same questions of other kinds.

milnews.ca said:
For sure, and nothing wrong with either as long as it's all clean & civil.  It's just that I've seen others on social media
questioning the employment/leave status of one kind of protester while they protest without asking the same questions of other kinds.

Thats fair. I'm being a hypocrite if I look at it. This chick a fill protest seems stupid to me.and a waste of time, leading me to wonder about who's doing it. That oil and gas stuff seems way more important. Hell if anything this protest gave them free publicity. I had no idea they were coming to or in Canada before I read this.

In my opinion Brad's comment nails what I see the LBQGT crowd is guilty of a lot.

It sure is easy to become oppressive while claiming to fight oppression.

Jarnhamar said:
I'm being a hypocrite if I look at it.
That's too harsh - if you get it and say it out loud, that's doing way better than some who don't get it.

milnews.ca said:
I don't recall many people asking about their leave or job status during the protest.

milnews.ca said:
It's just that I've seen others on social media questioning the employment/leave status of one kind of protester while they protest without asking the same questions of other kinds.

Like the "unite the right" type rallies.
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNQI5s91f8Q_Sqd6SXlnhZbDQ5OmWQ%3A1568253370510&ei=uqV5XerZHvKyggeKvI_gBg&q=unite+the+right+%22free+speech%22&oq=unite+the+right+%22free+speech%22&gs_l=psy-ab.3...423244.425865..426333...0.0..0.333.443.0j1j0j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......35i39.3hxMo5oqJpQ&ved=0ahUKEwjqnsSIl8rkAhVymeAKHQreA2wQ4dUDCAo&uact=5#spf=1568253798425

WOW!

I had never heard of Chik-fil-A before these protests started, as have many others. 

One could never ask for so much FREE ADVERTISING as this.  Any advertising, good or bad, attracts the consumer's attention.  In this case, people are flocking to the business to see what it is all about.

I think we can chalk this up as a "FAIL" for the LBGT+ community.

Jarnhamar said:
I had no idea they were coming to or in Canada before I read this.
There was one in Calgary a few years back, but it went out of business;  I guess Albertans know enough about 10w30 oil not to want it on their food.

George Wallace said:
Any advertising, good or bad, attracts the consumer's attention. 

Maybe the public has always had a morbid fascination with fast food?
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNQYhth6YyArpHDPDbyLMIF4tG-Jxw%3A1568298490890&ei=-lV6Xdj5Na64gge_nKe4DQ&q=%22fast+food%22+scandals+&oq=%22fast+food%22+scandals+&gs_l=psy-ab.12..35i39l2j0i22i30l8.38428.39038..41548...0.4..0.143.524.0j4......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j35i302i39.3nsUDnM0Yj4&ved=0ahUKEwjY3s2Tv8vkAhUunOAKHT_OCdcQ4dUDCAo#spf=1568298535174

Attachments

• MarvelousVictoriousEarwig-size_restricted.gif
    MarvelousVictoriousEarwig-size_restricted.gif
    2.1 MB · Views: 100
Winnipeg got a Popeye's Chicken joint and one is opening near me soon.

I didn't see any bodybuilders or muscular sailor type cartoon characters protesting that.

Ack ack ack ack ack.  ;D

I have had Popeye's and its good stuff like their beans and rice.

tomahawk6 said:
I have had Popeye's and its good stuff like their beans and rice.

Saw this about their beans and rice,

San Antonio woman sues over flesh-eating screwworms in Popeyes rice and beans
https://www.mysanantonio.com/business/local/article/San-Antonio-woman-sues-over-flesh-eating-10924116.php

George Wallace said:
Any advertising, good or bad, attracts the consumer's attention. 

That's true.  :boke:

I happen to like burgers and fried chicken. In the States each region does chicken differenrly. My mom pan fried her chicken instead of deep frying it. Some places do broasted chicken which is also pretty good from a health standpoint.

https://skillet.lifehacker.com/how-to-make-the-popeyes-chicken-sandwich-but-better-1838038149

Back