• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chest Rig preference

What type of chest rig/carrier/vest do you prefer?

• Current Canadian issue Tacvest

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Plate Carrier/chest rig

Votes: 39 57.4%
  • Webbing style (ie. TT Mav/82 pattern webbing)

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • We should be issued both types

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Something that attaches right to our body armor

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Different option (see below)

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
I thought this might make for an interesting "gear review".
Half for fun but half as a serious discussion from lessons learned from the last 10 years of wearing rigs while deployed and in training.

I went with Webbing style.

I liked the extra room on a plate carrier and for driving around and crew commanding, being able to raise it up higher on my chest off of my legs and hips made it pretty comfortable.
Dismounted I felt the plate carrier really sagged to the front.  Moving my plates from the body armor to the plate carrier made a huge difference. (which the CoC naturally said was illegal and if I died then my life insurance would be canceled)  Still, even with the difference I found it still unbalanced. Climbing with it really sucked.

With a webbing style rig (TT Mav) I lost space on the upper chest and and back but dismounted it was a lot more comfortable, the weight felt more balanced, felt like I could carry more weight too.

On a side note I also discovered I didn't like drop leg holsters or TCCC bags hanging off my legs. I ended up putting my bag and pistol on my rig.

I'm also not a fan of having things on my legs;  a pistol isn't too bad for a short duration but I prefer to have it on my belt.  My first non issue rig as a HSGI Warlord that I used on tour,  it worked out OK,  but it was also quite bulky, and all of the weight was up front.  A H harness instead of the X would have made it more comfortable as well.

Now, and with our current kit, and being a dismount I prefer to wear webbing(TT 2 piece MAV).  Can carry all required kit,  and good weight balance;  works well over top of the FPV and without.  If I were to be vehicle crew though,  a small chest rig with a few mags and a IFAK may be ideal. 

How ever,  I did like wearing a plate carrier with pouches mounted directly onto it,  and just changing pouches around as needed.  I found the mobility and ability to shoulder a weapon was better,  compared to the FPV(especially when you are required to wear all the extra pieces).  I like the TAP(detachable chest rig) the US Army and Marines issue along with their plate carriers.  Can clip on the chest rig when required,  and un clip it when all you need is just the plate carrier but not your mags, grenades, etc on you.

To distribute weight better with a plate carrier,  you can also run some pouches on a battle belt.  Example,  rifle mags, radio, and grenades on plate carrier/chest rig,  with dump pouch, IFAK, etc on the belt.  If a pistol is issued it can be run on the belt as well as the magazines for it.

I like the chest rig from these guys: http://www.arktisusa.com/rigs.html

Plus a proper Bergen.

Our 'snack vest' and stupidly huge rucksack is an appalling second best, unfortunately.

As an Infantry soldier... are you forced to use CF issue gear? Or are you allowed  to buy your own?

maxwel_fredrick said:
As an Infantry soldier... are you forced to use CF issue gear? Or are you allowed  to buy your own?

Its a privilege to be able to wear your own gear, chain of command can say no at any time. I'd worry about getting in and passing Inf DP1 before going crazy at a kitshop.

I found the drop leg holsters only good for walking around base and were useless in any type of vehicle. I haven't found any chest rig holster that works well with the TAC vest and the best option was putting it in a mag pouch. Skeletor, ObedientiaZelum what do you guys recommend for use as I'm heading over there soon. I'll be in a vehicle most of the time and not doing a lot of walking around but need to carry 4 rifle mags, 2 pistol mags, 9mm, water bottle, first aid pouch and a utility pouch. 

Tank Troll, I assume you are heading over on Op Attention?  Are you going to be issued the SORD rig(I believe that is what a lot of pers are issued now).  If so, you could get a Blackhawk Serpa holster, I believe it comes with the adaptor to mount it onto the MOLLE/PALS webbing, there is also a quick connect/disconnect adaptor as well for it.  I believe the 1911 holster will fit the Browning.

If you are stuck using the tac vest, I don't have any first hand knowledge/experience using it with a pistol.  Just seen some pers with the tac vest use a drop leg, or stick it in a mag pouch.  When I had a pistol I liked having it on my belt, but I don't think you'd be able to reach the pistol if you had it mounted on a belt when wearing the tac vest as a side pouch would probably be right above it. 

Only R1 was issued with the SORD kit.

R2 RiPed us out wearing the issue tac vest...as for R3...no idea what they're going to wear.

Ack on the BH holster though. Better to manage in the ASUVs.

Yeah I am on OP Attention and I don't know if they are going to issue the SORD rig to all of us or just the real infantry. No one has made mention of it yet. The Battle group RSM said we could use our own rigs as long as they didn't look totally out of place.

A Eagle RRV may work, and you can mount your pistol on the chest panel
http://www.optactical.com/eainmostrhre.html

I really like the safariland holsters, but found that I didn't like having the leg shroud on long dismounted patrols, and I also didn't like having the holster directly on my belt, so I swapped out for to the UBL system. Keeps it low enough with good clearance for draw, and can be mounted on either a standard riggers belt, or if you use a war belt set up, can go on that.

http://www.itstactical.com/gear/secure-your-safariland-6004-for-mid-ride/

The Safariland 6004 was issued to everyone on Op Attention R1, is it still the case for R2 and R3? There is a quick-connect system for that holster that goes into PALS/MOLLE like the BH Serpa.

Tank Troll said:
I'll be in a vehicle most of the time and not doing a lot of walking around but need to carry 4 rifle mags, 2 pistol mags, 9mm, water bottle, first aid pouch and a utility pouch.

If you're mounted I would definitely recommend a plate carrier setup of some kind. I found it makes for a much more comfortable ride than having something around my hips/waist.  Some guys would take off and put on their vests every time they got in or out of the vehicle but I found that annoying, not good in a hurry either.

The Eagle RRV looks good, personally I would use something that has a black for added support and also if you end up attaching something.

Here's a SORD setup.  http://www.sordaustralia.com/product.php?productid=307&cat=45&page=1

The pouches are what nails the wallet I find.

I think if I ever get a chance to go on tour again and get a pistol I'm going to try attaching it to the upper chest portion of the rig.

I've done the take off and put routine in the past but that was in Armoured Vehicles and I was rarely getting on and off. How ever since I've been doing soft skin/up armoured vehicle recce I've taken to wearing it all the time and need to find something that works better than the issued TAC vest drop holster combo.

Keep in mind gents. You don't get to decide if you want to have a plate setup. You will NOT be able to swap your plates out of your issue vest and into whatever rig you choose unless you are in a job that specifically allows you...ie: SOFCOM.

That being said I administered an NDA 129 to one of my soldiers who violated that policy, not to mention he only had the front plate inserted, because the back plate made him "uncomfortable" in the ASUV.

Food for thought.

Jammer said:
Keep in mind gents. You don't get to decide if you want to have a plate setup. You will NOT be able to swap your plates out of your issue vest and into whatever rig you choose unless you are in a job that specifically allows you...ie: SOFCOM.

That being said I administered an NDA 129 to one of my soldiers who violated that policy, not to mention he only had the front plate inserted, because the back plate made him "uncomfortable" in the ASUV.

Food for thought.

Is there a specific rule stating plates must be worn in the body armor and not in a plate carrier?
If your soldier had both plates in the carrier would your 129 have stuck?

ObedientiaZelum said:
Is there a specific rule stating plates must be worn in the body armor and not in a plate carrier?

There is if he's told you will only wear your plates in the issued frag vest.

PuckChaser said:
There is if he's told you will only wear your plates in the issued frag vest.

Because I told you so that's why  ;)
I'm curious the reasoning, I switched mine and it made my armor feel a hell of a lot more comfortable and my chest rig fit better and was more balanced when dismounted.  I wonder why SOFCOM would specifically allow it but not others.

Back