• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chaplain ( Merged )

the 48th regulator said:
hehehehe

true dat,

but you also learned how to disarm them, and if it was not for the likes of yourself, as well as many others of your former and blessed trade (hehe had to throw that one in on this thread) there woud be   a hell of a lot more maimed and dead.

ain't that all about peace love and no bell bottoms...

chimo and dileas

tess

lol........but i learnt how to disarm them so that our troops could pass safely to ..........wait for it.........KILL the ennemy !

Anyways...back to padres

Alex 252, i'm still waiting for your $.02 ::) ...........

You've gotta look at the role of the army in terms of what it is designed to do:  apply lethal force to support the will of our government.  The role of every member of the military is centred around that goal.

As for peacekeeping, yes it is a capability we have as an institution.  Before we get into the whole 3 block war thing, I'd like to state that the one role that the military has that no other organization does is high intensity warfare.  Police officers can peacekeep, in fact they do.  They can't fight wars, that's the unique capability of the CF.

As far as looking at Padres, I contest that their role is in the support of CF operations which include warfare.  This discussion started because a disagreement on whether or not Padres are soldiers.  IMO they are because of their support role during combat operations.

Your losing me here, you stated that;

For example, by protecting POWs you are preventing a bad public relations problem from occurring (such as Abu Garhaib)

Now they are soldier like us bringing down the medieval fist to Godless heathens who occupy the ground that we will take and hold...

I understand the will of a military, and I see the gist of yer rant, but your all over the place, with the padre statements, like a near sighted mortar team.

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
Your losing me here, you stated that;

Now they are soldier like us bringing down the medieval fist to Godless heathens who occupy the ground that we will take and hold...

I understand the will of a military, and I see the gist of yer rant, but your all over the place the place with the padre statements like a near sighted mortar team.

dileas

tess

;D

Steve

In all fairness, I have not overlooked your point / argument, although everytime
you reword it, your applied use of military doctrine irks me. 

Its not apply lethal force at the will of the Government....

The military does not exist to 'war'.

The military exists to serve to protect the best interest of the country whether home or abroad.
Now,  be it war, domestic operations, peacekeeping or whatever the government decides.
(See previous post for exact military doctrine wording)

and your job isn't to justify immoral actions, but your job is basically to help soldiers deal with the moral ramifications of taking life.

And we're back to square one.  Yes, that is one aspect of my job.  And nicely worded.

But you say BASICALLY... which entails its my major or primary function.  This has been
your same point in at least three post now. 

So NO, it is not basically my job.  The role of the chaplain entails a wide variety of duties (which have been previously posted)

My only concern is your casual use of defining military doctrine, definitions of what a soldier is, or
in this case, saying BASICALLY.....

Lets put it this way..  you're infantry.
So if i say basically you support tanks during FIBUA i'd be wrong... 
Yes that is a role of what you do, but you do so much more.

or You kill the enemy.
But you also hold key areas
Do security
Snatch and Grabs
Take prisoners of war and so on....

So yes, your training is to closeforth with and kill the enemy.  But you also do
so much more as required.

Thats not the best example, but its the only one i can think of at the moment. So don't shred
my example!!!!! Instead, if you don't like it, come up with a new one PLEASE.

At this point, really, I'm going to have to say we have to agree to disagree.
I am pretty secure in my knowledge of my trade and my roles that I am to fulfil.

From where I stand with my military experience, years in, regiments served with I can
pretty much firmly stand behind my opinion. (remember, its all just opinion.)

I'm not trying to change your opinion anymore as much as provide you factual infomration
on chaplaincy in hopes you better understand our roles.  I didn't mean for a thread to start
out of this.  (Actually I didn't, a mod did and threw my name on it)

Remember, Chaplains are your friends.  I don't want to come off as a jerk or impolite and taint anyones opinion
of chaplains based on any of my posts here, which is why i've tried to be concise, factual with the manual and to the point.
But I recognize that we are not going to make any progress on this point and it should be dropped so we can move
onto another one... whatever it may be.

Blessings to all.....

Trinity

When my father took ill, it was the padre who talked to me.  When my father died....again, it was the padre who helped me.  This had nothing to do with war.....but someone to help me spiritually and emotionally.

Trinity said:
I am pretty secure in my knowledge of my trade and my roles that I am to fulfil.

I would certainly hope so  ;D

beach_bum said:
When my father took ill, it was the padre who talked to me.   When my father died....again, it was the padre who helped me.   This had nothing to do with war.....but someone to help me spiritually and emotionally.

It didnt have to do with war but it did help you so that you would be in an improved emotional state so that you could perform your duties which include putting hot lead into other human beings......also know as WAR. I'm sorry about you father and i am glad that there was a padre to help you come to terms with that, i realy am but the military does not hire these guys/gals just for the hell of it ( no punt intended....sorry trinity  ;D), its to get you back to being fit to fight.

"It didnt have to do with war but it did help you so that you would be in an improved emotional state so that you could perform your duties which include putting hot lead into other human beings......also know as WAR. I'm sorry about you father and i am glad that there was a padre to help you come to terms with that, i realy am but the military does not hire these guys/gals just for the heck of it ( no punt intended....sorry trinity  ), its to get you back to being fit to fight."

So the Padres are the ones that put bloodlust into soldiers??????

Duke

Duke said:
So the Padres are the ones that put bloodlust into soldiers??????

Duke

Becareful of the words you put in my mouth.  I did not say that padres put "bloodlust" into soldiers.  I'm only guessing you can read english.  Padres, social workers, the member assistance program, financial counselling...etc... are there because a happy soldier is a productive soldier who can concentrate on his job.  That is what i meant and you should have seen that

Perhaps it was the sentence I quoted and this one "its to get you back to being fit to fight." that caused my confusion.

And yes, I can read/write and speak English.

Duke

Duke said:
Perhaps it was the sentence I quoted and this one "its to get you back to being fit to fight." that caused my confusion.

And yes, I can read/write and speak English.

Duke

I used "fit to fight" because thats what our jobs entail in one way or another.   I could have said "push the broom in troop stores every friday" but that is not the ultimate reason why we get paid. Are you more clear now ?

Just like the CF medical system doesnt exist just because the government like to spend money for no reason.  Patch the soldier up so he can get back into the fight and when he is in the fight, to give him the confidence that should he be injured, he will be taken care of. This allows the soldier to "get on with it".  Padres do the same thing in a spiritual way i guess.

And yes , some soldiers are aprehensive about having to kill other human beings, someone has to be there to reasure them that they are doing the proper thing.

I so want this thread to die....

When Beach_Bum said it had nothing to do with war...
I believe she was referring to the fact Steve said it does.

(NO FLAMES.. NO REPLIES)

let me go in Peace.... PLEASE....

Beach, thank you for sharing something so deeply personal to help us grow in understanding.

Trinity said:
I so want this thread to die....

When Beach_Bum said it had nothing to do with war...
I believe she was referring to the fact Steve said it does.

(NO FLAMES.. NO REPLIES)

let me go in Peace.... PLEASE....

;D

padre,

whatsa matta???   You want this this thread to die.

Yer beginning to sound just like a time when I was taking this Cpl. out for a ruck march.   His ruck was full of all of this useless stuff, which made his pack too heavy to carry.   Well you could imagine what I said and did. hmm, I believe he was a medic or something..Good guy, never gave up....

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
padre,

whatsa matta???  You want this this thread to die.

Yer beginning to sound just like a time when I was taking this Cpl. out for a ruck march.  His ruck was full of all of this useless stuff, which made his pack too heavy to carry.  Well you could imagine what I said and did. hmm, I believe he was a medic or something..Good guy, never gave up....

dileas

tess

Yeah... sounds real familiar, except I was a MCpl..

I mean.. that guy was a MCpl.....

(pillows and helium balloons... from now on!)

In fairness we had no inkling of a Ruck that weekend, i was supposed to be driving, and
I had my medic jumpbag to boot...  I couldn't lift the ruck on my back it was fracking heavy.

Good lesson.. never again do I assume anything. I pack light and double up uses on kit ALWAYS.

ugh...

Its 9 am... just woke up... what who do i realize....

Tess is right.. I was a Cpl.  It was 99...
I was post JLC but not promoted

my bad    ^-^

They didn't make me Sgt. because of my dry wit and humour. . . .

It is ingrained in us Catholics to remember things...it helps for us to feel guilty about something...

By the way did I ever tell you the one about Jesus and the Last supper..

I better stop before the lightening hits..

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
It is ingrained in us Catholics to remember things...it helps for us to feel guilty about something...

Hmmmm...funny enough I used that same line myself a couple of days ago!

Back