• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Changing Trade

JulyL

Inactive
Reaction score
Good day,

I am now enrolled in Artillery which was my third choice, but I really want to be in Infantry which was my first choice. So, before I settle for Artillery I want try all that I can to get into Infantry leaving no regrets. Therefore, I tried searching for some information about changing trade, but found no answer that satisfied my question, so here I ask.

First, is occupation transfer what the army uses for changing trade or are these two terms different? For example, occupation transfer is environment transfer and trade transfer is changing trade within that environment.

Second, from whom can I get clear details about trade transfer? My liaison officer or PO at St. Jean?

Lastly, Is there a time when it is easier to change my trade such as after completing the basic training? I was told that I am asked if I really want to be in the trade after basic training when I asked CPL at the recruiting center.

Thank you.

Hello,

Can a confirm a few things . . . when you say enrolled are you currently on training, awaiting training or still at home.  Did you accept Artillery (i.e., signed on the dotted line . . . MOSID ARTY)?

Cheers

Andraste

Hello,

I am awaiting for training, thus yes I did accept the offer. It is not that I am not satisfied with it, but just that I want to try to see if I can join in my first choice trade. Do you have any information to share that could enlighten me?

Thank you.

Hello,

Since you accepted and signed as ARTY that is now your MOSID.  What you are talking about is a Voluntary Occupational Transfer (Untrained) VOT-U.  This is the process by which you indicate you are not happy in your chosen occupation and request a new occupation.  This is done by submitting a memo to your chain of command requesting a VOT-U.  Now this is not automatic and is subject to a few things.  Specifically you need to meet the entry standards for the requested occupation and it must be available for VOT-U intake.  This is all done through the Base Personnel Selection Office.

Now having said all that, it is unlikely a VOT-U would be entertained while you are on Basic.  Remember the  premise of basic training is to give you exposure to the CAF and prepare you for your next step . . . occupation training.  So it will most likely not be entertained until you get to your occupation training. My recommendation is focus on completing your Basic training and getting that behind you.  Once you get to your occupation training, why not have a look around and see if it is something you might like . . . you never know until you get there.  If you feel in your heart of hearts after a bit of exposure to the Artillery it is not for you then submit a request for VOT-U.

Cheers

Hello,

Thank you for your advise, I will complete my BMOQ as you have said and consider again.

Thank you.

If you are really interested in putting in a VOT to a different trade, it would have to be done after your BMQ/BMOQ.  Also, I know a few members that have put in for a VOT while on their initial trade qualifications (QL3) and didn't get the VOT until their next qualification levels (QL4/5) because they were told that they couldn't apply for a VOT unless they failed their QL3s or were medically unfit for the trade (chronic seasickness, because we're Navy). Just so that you are aware that this isn't something that will get approved immediately.

My advice to you will echo Andraste and concentrate on BMQ/BMOQ.  Then proceed with your trade qualifications training.  You may find that you wish to stay where you are.  If, however, you still want to switch trades, put a request into your chain of command (CoC) and they can point you in the right direction (BPSO, etc.)

NOTE:  I notice that you reference BMOQ, which I am to understand that you have joined as an officer.  So I don't get chastised later, the members I know (one was on QL5 with me) are NCMs.  I'm not 100% sure about VOT protocols for officers, but I imagine they would not be so different from NCM VOTs.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Rev

Back