• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Changing Elements

Jhunt

Inactive
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has had any experiance with changing elements. (navy- air) And if so what the procedure was and length of time it took? Is there a certain length of time in you must have? I would be keeping the same trade

If you're not changing trades, then that's not changing elements, that's changing DEU...

If you're changing uniforms because you identify more with a different one (e.g. you wear a Navy uniform, but have spent your entire career in Air Force units) that's one thing, but if you want to change in an effort to affect your postings (e.g. if I have an Air Force uniform, they'll send me to an Air Force base), then you may be disappointed.  In the current climate, it simply doesn't work that way.

I had a young steward working for me years ago (before stewards were deemed a "hard-sea" trade) about five years after we transitioned from CF green to DEU.  Everyone in the purple trades were asked which uniform they would prefer.  On his request form for Air Force DEU, he had specifically written, "because I never again want to be posted to a ship."  I was his Divisional Officer in a ship at the time.  Obviously, his choice of uniform didn't do him any good.  And now, all stewards wear Navy DEU...

In answer to your question, changing uniforms starts and end with a request to your career manager.  They have quotas they have to maintain with respect to uniform distribution (although it is beyond me why, since uniform is not supposed to affect posting) and it goes from there.

Thanks for your response. It is more the case that i am getting back in after previously being air force. I will be a purple trade so it does not matter. My husband is an air officer so most likely posting would be air. I would rather be back in my old element. Just was not sure of the length of time it would take to transfer back to it.

Jhunt said:
My husband is an air officer so most likely posting would be air.

Don't count on that either.  There's always IR.....

Back