• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Changing careers in CAF

COLD_DARK_NORTH

Inactive
Reaction score
This may be in the wrong section ,but forgive me if this is so.

I'm just curious about changing positions in the forces. for example, I'm in school right now for Motive Power to become a qualified
automotive service tech. I would like to finidh my apprenticeship in the army, but would also like to experience a strictly infantry session for a couple years. Can i switch to a vehicle tech after some time in the infantry? Do i have to serve a minium time in one field before switching?

I've done a little searching and can't find much on the topic. Could you guys help me out please.

Danke,

MH

Yes, you can change trades.
No, it is is not guaranteed.
Not everyone gets picked up that asks for Voluntary Occupation Transfer.

Search on VOT.

The CF has a program where it will pay for your schooling (if you qualify) to employ you later as a vehicle tech.  a sweet deal!  if it was me i'd look into being a veh tech first, and later if you still want to do the infantry thing, put in for a vot. 

yfz450_girl said:
The CF has a program where it will pay for your schooling (if you qualify) to employ you later as a vehicle tech.  a sweet deal!  if it was me i'd look into being a veh tech first, and later if you still want to do the infantry thing, put in for a vot. 

What program is this?  If you're referring to NCM-SEP, you may want to verify that Veh Tech is still on the eligibility list for that program.

284_226 said:
What program is this?  If you're referring to NCM-SEP, you may want to verify that Veh Tech is still on the eligibility list for that program.

they actually have a subsidized education program specifically for veh techs.  they'll pay for your schooling to do your class A mechanic, buy your tools, and then you owe 3 years as a veh tech. i did some work with the recruiters last month as part of a secondary duty and that was something we talked about extensively.

Ooooo they pay for tools?!?!?! :eek:

Do you know if you keep them after your service?

Aww, it doesn't matter. Sign me up!

Thats awsome. One problem though.

I'm already in school for becoming a civillian tech. I'm a quarter the way through first year.
Will i still be elegable? I won't have to take it again will I?

yfz450_girl said:
they actually have a subsidized education program specifically for veh techs.  they'll pay for your schooling to do your class A mechanic, buy your tools, and then you owe 3 years as a veh tech. i did some work with the recruiters last month as part of a secondary duty and that was something we talked about extensively.

Yup, you're referring to NCM-SEP (Non-Commissioned Member - Subsidized Education Program).  Details can be found at:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/instructions/engraph/0203_admhrmil_e.asp
and
http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/instructions/docs/pdf/0203AnnexE_e.pdf

I mentioned checking directly with the Recruiting Centre because the trades listed at the bottom of the page on the first link periodically open/close depending on the state of the trade.  For example, I know that they're not currently accepting anyone into the ATIS Tech program with NCM-SEP.  The original poster should check directly with the Recruiting Centre to find out the status of the Veh Tech trade before jumping to any conclusions.

yes, i've given him the name of the recruiter i was working with.  the recruiters were plugging the veh tech subsidized education program specifically at an event we were at just last month, and they've told me to continue to plug that program for that trade, at future similar events i'm at.  i'm involved in a recruiting initiative that involves a target market for future technicians...

Back