• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Changes to the PEP

H

hiv

Ref: http://www.pep.forces.gc.ca/engraph/er/canforgen/114-04_e.asp

Chalk it up to my inability to decipher a CANFORGEN properly but this has left me a little confused. Does this mean you have to go see a PSO every time you want to take a course and they will evaluate it to make sure it suits the needs of the CF?

I started my degree about a year ago in the faculty of arts as an Economics major; something that doesn't really relate to my trade (comms). Does this mean I'm going to have to foot my own tuition bills now?

Oh, the sorrow...

Well, I used to be a NAV COMM, so if I can't decipher a CANFORGEN, we ALL have problems.   ;)

What I get from that message is that there are changes coming to the PEP ER program.

From now on, you will submit an ILP (Individual Learning Plan) and specify what courses you want, and how they relate to your continuing education.

A PSO will have to review your ILP so that you can get reimbursed for your course fees. Anything he doesn't approve, you don't get reimbursed for. (You will submit your ILP before you actually take the course, so you don't end up paying for courses that you won't get re-imbursed for).

I started my degree about a year ago in the faculty of arts as an Economics major; something that doesn't really relate to my trade (comms). Does this mean I'm going to have to foot my own tuition bills now?

Not at all. The CF will pay for any courses which lead to a completion of your degree. It doesn't have to exactly relate to your MOC. You are getting your degree because it will further your career in the CF (CEOTP or otherwise).

The CF just basically doesn't want you taking "Basket Weaving 101" and then turning around to the CF and asking that you be reimbursed for that course.

I totally agree with this policy.

On the flip side to that, if you can sell "Basket Weaving 101" to your base PSO, and get it approved, all the power to you.   ;D

The CF basically just doesn't want you taking "fun" or side courses that won't really benefit the CF in any way.

If you are a clerk, trying to get the CF to pay for "Gardening Basics" just isn't going to fly.

Born2Fly said:
On the flip side to that, if you can sell "Basket Weaving 101" to your base PSO, and get it approved, all the power to you.   ;D

The CF basically just doesn't want you taking "fun" or side courses that won't really benefit the CF in any way.

If you are a clerk, trying to get the CF to pay for "Gardening Basics" just isn't going to fly.

Well, that seems pretty reasonable for me. I was worried for a second that my exhorbitant Waterloo tuition was going to sap away all my disposable income. I guess now I just have to do a song and dance for my local PSO.

Thanks for your help.

Born2Fly said:
......."Basket Weaving 101".............

All the examples I've ever heard are the same one. What is it with everyone and basket weaving lol.

ModlrMike said:
I see you're studying at through Waterloo. Have you checked out Athabasca? www.athabascau.ca

I took a look at their offerings when I was first applying for school but the deciding factor came down to the fact my mother is Waterloo alumni and I'd be outcast if I dared to grace another institution with my presence.

Additionally, if I ever get UTPNCM I wouldn't at all be adverse to the idea of going to Waterloo full-time.

The way I read it is that you should be GTG taking university credit courses. I read it as an attempt to stop people from taking a scuba course (and such) and then applying for reimbursment.

Porbably a good analysis, Armymedic. My interpretation is that it is an attempt to have the troops formulate a plan and then study against the plan. This way, they submit their programme of study once, and then get reimbursed as they go along. One would no longer have to get each course approved as you did it. It seems to me that this is a better system than the troops stumbling around from course to course without a discernable end goal.

Of course as I'm in my third year, it means very little to me. I have no elective or optional courses left.

I thought the reinbursment program was removed because its trial period ended?

They brought it back?

The trail period for ER for the PRes ended yes.  All trail programs eventually end. This CANFORGEN does not specifficaly mention reservists though.  You would should probably contact the PSO in your area and find out if this CANFORGEN applies to reservists.  Here is the link to ER for PRes on the PEP website.

http://www.pep.forces.gc.ca/engraph/er/res/res_e.asp

It was mentioned around my unit that something was coming for Pres.  I sure hopeso, being nearly poverty struck due to school sucks.

I agree, I am working on getting the reimbursment right now for my post-secondary schooling, so hopefully things are figured out soon.

By the way, does anyone know how much of the tuition costs or education costs the CF covers?

Back