• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Changes or Cancelation of LDA coming?

autoedge

Inactive
Reaction score
I have news from a very accurate source about LDA not being passed for this FY. Its been said that it will cease 1 APR 2011 and be replaced with a higher paying FOA. All I can see is two things. The CF is short on cash and the people in the field will now me the ones with the money. Can't with to see all the people who bought a house and will now have to scrape. never bank on an allowance. also command heads have had this info before we all went on Christmas leave. Happy New year.

No offense, but until something official comes out I will treat this as just another wild rumour.

Thank you for saying that nicer than I was about to... right now, with what info has been provided, I can't read it as anything other than rumor...

Scuttlebutt is that with the army looking like it is returning to the dark days LDA is getting cancelled.  Anyone have any info on this?  Thanks

Any change to LDA would likely involve Aircrew allowance and SDA as they've been essentially harmonized. I can't see LDA being cut after the Army put so much energy into getting it. Don't put much stock in this rumour until you see something official.

Last month our unit was told that LDA will be ending but not given a specific date, i was wondering if its gonna be end of the fiscal year.
Is there actually any sites with info on what kinda of other cuts to allowances in the other two branches of the military.

thanks.

I doubt that LDA will be ending forces wide.  It may have another transformation but more likely it is simply that your unit has been warned that in Apr they will no longer be on the designated list.  Last year they removed a bunch of the MP's, don't know if there were any changes this year.

What is the source your info came from?  Reliable?  References?  (no references lowers the reliability)

There is no way they are taking away the sailors port drinking fund or getting the air force to give up their latte fund.

WHAT?  The zoomies have a latte fund!!?!?!  When did this occur I must have been asleep when that came about.  They better not get rid of my port drinking fund.... it's about the only perk left.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/ps/all-ind/faq/lda-isc-eng.asp

Here is some info on the topic that should clear up some confusion.

The OP isn't asking about details of LDA Card

He is asking about the info he received at work from his CoC that LDA is being cancelled. He is not the first person to have heard this but as of yet there is no official policy on what is actually occurring

twistedfang790 said:
Last month our unit was told that LDA will be ending but not given a specific date, i was wondering if its gonna be end of the fiscal year.
Is there actually any sites with info on what kinda of other cuts to allowances in the other two branches of the military.

thanks.

Funny... Last month I got this in an O Group:

"From the Commander of the Army:  LDA will remain as it is now with no changes in the foreseeable future."

Now maybe that only applies to where I currently work, but by looking at your profile I suspect we work in similar circles.  Maybe there are changes coming for other parts of the army.

It's funny though how rumors spread.

IMO:  Unless they pry sea pay away from the sailors and aircrew pay away from the airmen, then LDA will remain.

Anyone's Grunt said:
IMO:  Unless they pry sea pay away from the sailors and aircrew pay away from the airmen, then LDA will remain.
The system needs to change.  It rewards people based on a posting message regardless of if they actually go to the field or not.  At the same time, it does not recognize staff at Army schools - many of whom spend more time in the field than most operational units.

Anyone's Grunt said:
Maybe there are changes coming for other parts of the army.

Rumour mill seems to lean that way, at least where I am.  Army needs to save money, LDA is a big cost. Rationalizing it and removing it from units who do not go to the field often (like the MP detachments it was removed from) seems like the best way to do it without disenfranchising a whole whack load of Cpl/Pte types in the brigades.

PuckChaser said:
Rumour mill seems to lean that way, at least where I am.  Army needs to save money, LDA is a big cost. Rationalizing it and removing it from units who do not go to the field often (like the MP detachments it was removed from) seems like the best way to do it without disenfranchising a whole whack load of Cpl/Pte types in the brigades.

The Army doesn't pay LDA.  The RCAF doesn't pay aircrew.  The RCN doesn't pay SDA.

Well, properly speaking, they don't pay other than the casual allowances.  The monthly allowances for the Reg F are all paid out of the corporate Reg F pay account.  Indeed, when LDA was implemented the Army was permitted to keep the FOA money they previously held - so it was a net increase in available funds within the Army.

PuckChaser said:
Rumour mill seems to lean that way, at least where I am.  Army needs to save money, LDA is a big cost.
Even before budget reductions were a thing of concern, I heard DCBA staff comment that LDA was unaffordable as it currently exists.

However, when the Army decided to take a closer look at how LDA was being implemented the decision was based on several factors (soldier dissatisfaction, challenges of administration, unnecessary CM frictions, fairness, etc) but fiscal concern was not one of the identified factors.

If changes are coming, they are about getting the system right for the Army and for soldiers – the changes will not be about saving money.

jollyjacktar said:
WHAT?  The zoomies have a latte fund!!?!?!  When did this occur I must have been asleep when that came about.  They better not get rid of my port drinking fund.... it's about the only perk left.

well jack try coming to Ottawa and mention sliders or makeandmends.  Talk about the look of you have three heads.  There was some "navy" types that couldn't tell the difference between them.

I see this as the rumour mill overworking again.  There will be some changes coming to try and fix the LDA the way it should be such as when they removed so many MP units.  It would be nice if it included the schools but I wouldn't hold your breath.  We have a similar problem the Navy has wrestled with for years when it comes to sea training.  Some of those guys at points have spent more time at sea in the year than the ships crews but they are still stuck with casual.

dapaterson said:
The Army doesn't pay LDA.  The RCAF doesn't pay aircrew.  The RCN doesn't pay SDA.

Well, properly speaking, they don't pay other than the casual allowances.  The monthly allowances for the Reg F are all paid out of the corporate Reg F pay account.  Indeed, when LDA was implemented the Army was permitted to keep the FOA money they previously held - so it was a net increase in available funds within the Army.

To be clear- apples and oranges are being lumped together in the quote above.

SDA and LDA are environmental allowances.  Aircrew Allowance is an example of a specialty allowance, like Submarine allowance, parachute allowance and diving allowance.  There is no such thing as "Air Duty Allowance".

SeaKingTacco said:
To be clear- apples and oranges are being lumped together in the quote above.

SDA and LDA are environmental allowances.  Aircrew Allowance is an example of a specialty allowance, like Submarine allowance, parachute allowance and diving allowance.  There is no such thing as "Air Duty Allowance".

Not correct.  Aircrew Allowance IS an Environmental Allowance (see CBI Chapt 205, Section 2 (Environmental Allowances)), as are all the others you mentioned.  It is not a Special Allowance.  In a nutshell, Environmental Allowances are paid for being subjected to certain physical conditions associated with service in specific environments (although their may be other limitations as well).  Special Allowances have more to do with qualifications and/or conditions of service.

There used to be an "Air Duty Allowance" paid to non-aircrew who were flying in a capacity other than as passengers.  It was cancelled about 20-25 years ago.

Pusser said:
  Special Allowances have more to do with qualifications and/or conditions of service.
Ok, now I am confused.  Could you provide an example?
There used to be an "Air Duty Allowance" paid to non-aircrew who were flying in a capacity other than as passengers.
I guess that would make sense as no-one would meet that description anymore.  You are either aircrew or PAX - no in between.  Casual Aircrew Allowance covers those members.

Interesting that a CF member can be in receipt of more than one environmental allowance at a time (ie RCAF pilot serving on board a RCN vessel).

Back