• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chance of being deployed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirTwonish

Inactive
Reaction score
I couldn't find any topics relating to this. I am currently on the trail end of a CT I got my offer letter and am slated to start my courses on July 28 (BMQ st Jean). My question is now that the mission in Afghanistan is been extended to 2011 what are the chances that I will be deployed? I still have to get my BMQ SQ, etc (basically everything). I am just curious to know what I may be up to in the 3 years to come!

I have a same question. Starting BMOQ on august 25th, is there a chance to be deployed to afghanistan ?

There are far too many variables to be considered for anyone on this board to say that you may or may not be deployed.

Michael O'Leary said:
If you join either infantry or armour, you will get posted to a unit after your training.  It may be the unit of your choice, or it may be where the Army needs you most. So, here's the formula:

A.  If you start now, and estimate a year for recruiting and six months for training
B.  And you hope that the planned cycle of unit rotations overseas doesn't change, and pick a trade based on that
C.  And get posted to your unit of choice.
D.  And land in one of the companies/squadrons designated for a tour.
E.  And the government doesn't change its mind on the mission.
F.  And the Army doesn't change its mind on Task Force structure.
G.  And you "DAG Green" all the way through the pre-deployment training cycle.
H.  And you don't piss off your chain of command and get dumped to the rear party for being a dink, or some other technical term for administrative or disciplinary burden.
I.    And there's not another election that pulls us out of Afghanistan (or wherever) at the last moment.
J.    And you don't get appendicitis two days before your departure.
K.    And the sun doesn't go nova.

Then:-

You might get an operational tour within a three-year basic engagement.

An oldie but goodie Michael.

Unless your leaders believe you can be of value to the mission, there is no point in taking you along.
Train hard - be the best soldier that you can be & see where that gets you.

Let's face it, if it isn't Afghanistan... it can be the Congo, the Sudan.... or some other sunny place where most people wouldn't be caught dead going to.

CallOfDuty said:
you're doing a component transfer, and you still have BMQ to do??
That confused me too...

From what a buddy told me, a LOT of people want to go to Afghanistan.

Regarding Michael O'Leary's post, why is Artillery not included when he mentions Infantry and Armour? Was that a typo?

Regarding Michael O'Leary's post, why is Artillery not included when he mentions Infantry and Armour? Was that a typo?-AlphaQup

and engineers for that matter?

siege said:
Regarding Michael O'Leary's post, why is Artillery not included when he mentions Infantry and Armour? Was that a typo?-AlphaQup

Insert whatever trade you want....same basic idea applies.

Do we really have to spell everything out ?

Ya I did a CT after 8 months in reserves, loved it so much wanna do it full time and I didnt get a recruit school bypass because I was short of finishing my weekend BMQ. It was easier than releasing and going through it the other way!

siege said:

Infantry and Armour troops usually make up the bulk of a battle group. There are Arty troops there and Engineers are in very high demand as well.

Regards

Ummm... when you get down to it, all trades are needed in KAF to make things work.
So... yeah - even the refrigeration tech has his place in KAF... and that wasn't necessarily in Michael's post either..... use your heads man!

Maybe its just that I'm naive, but I've always kinda wanted to be deployed. There's something to be said for being in the front lines...I kinda want to know, and I'm sure I wont get any exact answer, but what are the chances of being deployed if I volunteered to be deployed?

I'm going to piggy-back this thread to ask a question, hope thats ok.  Bear with me.

Ok, so I know that there are things you can say at the interview to keep from getting deployed overseas.  Things like telling them you have a prejudice that would keep you from doing your duty, and all this other kind of stuff.  So my question is, what is to keep people from just saying that as a way out.  I mean I'm not gonna lie I would be scared shitless to go.  That whole "front lines" stuff is terrifying and I can admit that.  If I was asked to go in the future I would say yes, cause thats just the job, I would just be really scared.  It does not sound fun to me, just something that if asked of you, you have a duty to commit to.  You were picked for a reason and its your responsibility to do your job.

So, how much of an option do people really have?  Can you just say "no" and that be that.  Cause that just does not seam right to me.  :-\

Cheers! Kyle

Fische35 said:
Maybe its just that I'm naive, but I've always kinda wanted to be deployed. There's something to be said for being in the front lines...I kinda want to know, and I'm sure I wont get any exact answer, but what are the chances of being deployed if I volunteered to be deployed?

Read the thread.

If you're Reg and qualified, if you're needed you'll go. If you're Reserve and qualified AND volunteer there is a good chance you'll go.

MedTechStudent said:
I'm going to piggy-back this thread to ask a question, hope thats ok.  Bear with me.

Ok, so I know that there are things you can say at the interview to keep from getting deployed overseas.  Things like telling them you have a prejudice that would keep you from doing your duty, and all this other kind of stuff.  So my question is, what is to keep people from just saying that as a way out.  I mean I'm not gonna lie I would be scared shitless to go.  That whole "front lines" stuff is terrifying and I can admit that.  If I was asked to go in the future I would say yes, cause thats just the job, I would just be really scared.  It does not sound fun to me, just something that if asked of you, you have a duty to commit to.  You were picked for a reason and its your responsibility to do your job.

So, how much of an option do people really have?  Can you just say "no" and that be that.  Cause that just does not seam right to me.   :-\

Cheers! Kyle

There's alreadty threads on this, don't sidetrack this one. You've been here long enough, go do a search.

Fische35 said:
There's something to be said for being in the front lines

Welcome new member!

Be careful what you wish for.

Happy days,

OWDU

I hope I get deployed as soon as possible, at least that is how i feel now. I realize that it is possible  that my feelings might change after I experience things, like BMQ. But for now I can't wait! :)

MedTechStudent said:

So, how much of an option do people really have?  Can you just say "no" and that be that.  Cause that just does not seam right to me.   :-\

Cheers! Kyle

You must be deployable. If your personal views and/ or prejudices prevent you from doing your job....yer gone.

Regards

WTF, if you have a prejudice about being deployed, why are you enrolling ???

If you are just scared about going, welcome to the club, it isn't sane to NOT be scared & I would be concerned if the guy next to me wasn't.  You get trained, you learn to deal with the fright & get on with the job till it's done.

Otherwise, why are you enrolling ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back