• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CH47 Chinook

geo said:
Ummm... where did the fly fishing thing come from Cheapeski

I was talking with a couple pilots back in March. I was joking with them while doing some kit exchange, made a joke about how the choppers could get you into some cool fishing spot. They could neither confirm nor deny this. Was just making a joke in jest. Seriously though, think of the fly in fishing a BN could do with a couple of Hooks though? Wouldn't it be great???

I choose not to mention where I was talking to said pilots when this conversation took place for fear of incriminating the unit. I plead the 5th (even though we don't have it, i plead anyway!) I'm also secretly jealous of these outings as I haven't gone fishing in well over a year now.

Baden  Guy said:
Goose Bay Labrador ! ;)
I have a few old slides (remember when slides were the ultimate) from about 1970 that show a CH-113A sitting in a lake near Goose Bay while the crew were catching some fine trout. There are some great trout slides as well. It's the kind of fishing that no one would believe and without pictures it sounds like BS--but the pictures don't BS.
One day I'll dig them out and see if I can get them made into photos.

ahhh.... fishing salmon at CFS Moisie on the Quebec North Shore.... no need for any darned helicopter

Are they sending pipes to the Chinook out of BHS in YPG?

maniac779 said:
Are they sending pipes to the Chinook out of BHS in YPG?

Pipes have always been sent on Chinooks.  The last two C-model pilots were pipes.  You will see pipes going straight from BHS to a squadron and immediately to Ft.Rucker thereafter, then to Afghanistan.  Looks like tac hel is the place to be to get some operational experience while finally getting the chance to help out the troops.

G2G

Good2Golf said:
Pipes have always been sent on Chinooks.  The last two C-model pilots were pipes.  You will see pipes going straight from BHS to a squadron and immediately to Ft.Rucker thereafter, then to Afghanistan.  Looks like tac hel is the place to be to get some operational experience while finally getting the chance to help out the troops.

G2G

That's what I like to hear.

That is going to make selection easy.

NY Guard Provides CH-47 Training To Canadian Aircrews
Wed, 28 Jan '09

Preparing For Deployment To Afghanistan
New York Army National Guard members offered hands-on CH-47 Chinook helicopter training to Canadian air force aircrews readying for deployment at a flight facility in Rochester, NY last week.

Aviation soldiers from the Guard's Company B, 3rd Battalion, 126th Aviation Regiment, who returned from a tour of duty in Afghanistan in April, used their Chinooks and the upstate New York snow to train the Canadians on Afghan flying conditions.

The snow was a stand-in for the ubiquitous Afghan dust, Army Capt. Eric Fritz, instructor pilot for the battalion, explained. Fritz put together a two-week training program to prepare the Canadians for an upcoming Afghan deployment.

Members of the Canadian air force's 408th and 430th Tactical Helicopter Squadrons will be operating Chinooks in theater. The Canadian aircraft already are 6,000 miles away in place in Afghanistan.

"Everybody jumped at the opportunity to provide the training and transmit Company B's experience and information to the Canadians," Army Col. Michael Bobeck, aviation officer, said. "It makes everybody operate safer and allows us to accomplish the mission."

The first week of training focused on classroom briefings, battlefield scenarios and daylight-flying operations, and the second week was spent perfecting night-flying skills. The training plan culminated with a simulated air assault. All training flights took place within 100 miles of the flight facility here.

Landing and taking off in the light snowfall provided the Canadians with the same experience they'll get coping with the ever-present dust in Afghanistan, Fritz said.

"The New York National Guard has been very accommodating, because it's all been last-minute for us," Canadian air force Capt. Martin LeFrancois, 430th Squadron, said. "Now that we have six Chinooks waiting for us in Afghanistan, the training program that they prepared for us will be really beneficial."

(Aero-News salutes Army Sgt. 1st Class Steven Petibone, with the New York National Guard.)

FMI: www.airforce.forces.ca/, www.dmna.state.ny.us/

Puckchaser,
We could do like the Dutch & have em reconditioned...

While the new fighters would be nice.... the Chinooks are bread & butter tools for the land forces.  While the Airforce will consider the JSF as being their bread & butter...

toglmonster said:
This all boils back to the argument that the Army and Navy should have their own air wings.

Shouldn't a small military pool resources and personnel rather than divide them up?

GDawg... If the army wants the Chinooks, they should be able to decide on acquiring the necessary gear.  I don't think it should be a fight with the airforce over Chinooks VS JSFs

geo said:
GDawg... If the army wants the Chinooks, they should be able to decide on acquiring the necessary gear.  I don't think it should be a fight with the airforce over Chinooks VS JSFs

You're preaching to the choir, at the end of the day its the Canadian voter who decides what we do, and what equipment we get to do it.

toglmonster said:
This all boils back to the argument that the Army and Navy should have their own air wings.

Not keeping up with CF budget issues are you ?The CF has "X" amount of money. Army air wing or not, that amount of money doesnt change. If the Army decided to buy Chinooks, what exactly do you think the Army can afford to give up in order to pay for it.

Regardless of who flies them, the money problem remains. Every element needs new equipment that will cost more that the money available. Something will have to give.

-Just responding to the last part of MANIAC779 post. -

-Your right-

-Let's hope it stays just talk-

toglmonster said:
-Just responding to the last part of MANIAC779 post. -

-Your right-

-Let's hope it stays just talk-

That wasn't me, but the end of the article.

Agreed however.

According to Defense Industry Daily Canada offered Boeing a limited risk reduction contract in Sept/08. Does anyone know if Boeing accepted the contract or not?

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/on-the-verge-canadas-47b-program-for-mediumheavy-transport-helicopters-02390/#more-2390

KJK :cdn:

CDN Aviator said:
Not keeping up with CF budget issues are you ?The CF has "X" amount of money. Army air wing or not, that amount of money doesnt change. If the Army decided to buy Chinooks, what exactly do you think the Army can afford to give up in order to pay for it.

Regardless of who flies them, the money problem remains. Every element needs new equipment that will cost more that the money available. Something will have to give.

It makes no difference financially.

Same resources, same level of funding, but the funding is switched to the gaining chain of command.

There is no logical reason to retain what are rightfully Army and Navy resources in the a** f**ce.

Loachman said:
It makes no difference financially.

Same resources, same level of funding, but the funding is switched to the gaining chain of command.

There is no logical reason to retain what are rightfully Army and Navy resources in the a** f**ce.

We'll have to agree to disagree. The Navy is more than happy to employ LRP but if they were in control of the purse string, the money would go elsewhere...what little of it there is already.

The AF is bleeding money supporting more than it can within the budget. If the army beleives there would be additional funding if it were to own aviation, it is saddly mistaken.

Back