• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFSME outsourcing CE surveying/drafting training?

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
This from MERX today:
.... The Out-Service Training (OST) program is intended to augment the capability of the Canadian Forces School of Military Engineering (CFSME) to meet the mandate of the Department of National DEFENCE (DND) to develop and implement a Training Plan (TP) for construction engineering technicians of the Canadian Forces (CF) on Operational level Drafting and Surveying. This scope of work (SOW) will ensure that all aspects of the program requirements are formalized. It defines the requirement of CFSME for the provision of customized training of students at a post-secondary vocational institute. The purpose of this OST program is to develop and train members of the CF within the construction engineering trades on operational drafting and surveying. The successful bidder shall provide the necessary academic and professional expertise to develop, and deliver the operational drafting and surveying training of this OST program .... Although it is the intent of DND to conduct one course per contract year (CY), there is no guarantee that the annual intake of military trades personnel will support this. There is also the possibility that CF production requirements may require the Contractor to deliver more than one course per CY. The Operational Drafting and Surveying course development and instruction will be conducted at a recognized, post-secondary vocational institute ....

This from the Statement of Work (available here as PDF):
.... The Operational Drafting and Surveying course development and instruction will be conducted at a recognized, post-secondary vocational institute. The course required to be delivered will involve personnel from the following construction technical trades, which are categorized and identified as Military Occupation Specification Identification (MOSID):
a) MOSID 00238, Geomatics Technician (Geo Tech);
b) MOSID 00301 Refrigeration & Mechanical Technician (RM Tech);
c) MOSID 00302 Electrical Distribution Technician (ED Tech);
d) MOSID 00303 Electrical Generation Systems Technician (EGS Tech);
e) MOSID 00304 Plumbing & Heating Technician (PH Tech);
f) MOSID 00305 Water, Fuels & Environment Technician (WFE Tech);
g) MOSID 00306 Construction Technician (Const Tech); and
h) MOSID 00339; Combat Engineer (Cbt Engr) ....

Well it's about bloody time. With the speed the wheels turn when something goes higher, makes me think we're going backwards sometimes...

Now, let's see who bites other than NSCC.

Wook

milnews.ca said:
CFSME outsourcing CE surveying/drafting training?
When there are 7 different CE trades (including CE Supt) and fewer than a dozen guys per occupation to conduct all core and OSS training, there needs to be non-traditional options considered in order to deliver that training.  Alternately, we let capabilities/skillsets wither and die.

Wookilar said:
Maybe NBCC?

Possibly, but I don't think their recent restructuring has yet gotten to the point where they can deliver this kind of product. In a few years, they will certainly be able to give NSCC a run for their money if the Board of Governors stays the course they are currently on. We'll see.

MCFT maybe? I'm not sure of their full capabilities.

Wook

Wookilar said:

I don't think anyone else really needs to. Maybe I'm bias but COGS in Lawrencetown, N.S., is arguably the best applied geomatics/surveying school in Canada. When I was going through the post-grad program over there there were a couple of geo. techs going through the land course at the time. I don't think you'll find another school with the sheer volume of work (particularly field work) and technical expertise that they offer. No one can say they don't put you through your paces at that place. I know a few guys who did 4 years of geomatics engineering at UNB who to this day claim they learned more in 1 year at COGS than all their time spent at UNB.
My  :2c:

Wow, they're certainly leaving it "on the street" long enough to get several hits.  It doesn't close until May 9. I see that NSCC has had a look already though.

That's just the 40 days on MERX standard thing. If you read it, the dates for delivery are a little screwy, mainly because it was submitted MONTHS ago.

Wook

Back