• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFRC Montreal

FWIW, when my offer for my CT/OT came thru to CFRC Halifax, they transferred my file to CFRC Montreal as I am now in Qc (St-Jean).  They were very quick to action it and get my admin/file rolling.

I was there last Friday to sign the papers and the place was full of activity.  I was "in the back" behind the secure doors, and all the staff I seen was going pretty full tilt.  There was alot of people in the reception area being looked after too, I noticed.  Very busy spot compared to what I had experienced at CFRC Charlottetown went I first went Regs in '89, and Halifax CFRC this past year.

For those who are doing a CT via CFRC Montreal and are going to be Attached Posted there for any length of time, PM and I will give you a few pointers to watch for that I have from the past few days...

So the guy at CFRC Montreal had me call CFRC Victoria to ask them to give Montreal authorization to access the file. It took five minutes so now it's all squared away.

My application is apparently at the aptitude test department. How long is it going to take for them to dig up my old CFAT scores and see if they're enough for my trade choice?

WinterJet said:
My application is apparently at the aptitude test department. How long is it going to take for them to dig up my old CFAT scores and see if they're enough for my trade choice?

Last year at CFRC Montreal I was told they usually keep the score for 3 years in the system. If it has been longer since you took it, they have to go dig it in the archives somewhere (Borden maybe?). In my case it took around 4 weeks to get my score from the archives.

Once they have the score they will be able to tell you right away if you meet the standard for your new occupation.

Good luck with your application.

When I dropped off my application, they were able to tell me if I was eligible for the new trade the very same day.  In fact, the recruiter was able to check the archives on the spot, so I never had to wait for a call. 

Getting my pers file from my old unit was quick enough, as I made sure to rag on those who needed to sign stuff.  I made sure to pick up the file myself and bring it in personally to the CFRC.  I've heard horror stories about other units that took forever to initiate things, also they send things by mail and that can take one or more days just to arrive.  Then it has to get to the right person and blah blah blah.  If you can, bring it yourself.

In my experience Esquimalt was pretty quick about things, as far as pushing papers.  But I never dealt with the CFRC Victoria so I don't know if both have the same reputation. 

It took a month or so before they called me in for my Medical and Interview and was told to wait for my offer.  Being on the merit list was when it took the longest amount of time.  But, considering your choice trade, I think things will happen considerably faster.  That's where they need people, so....

Anyway, I finally got my offer a little over 5 months after handing in the application.  I was given a month to get my shit together before starting, no doubt, PAT Platoon.  We'll see.. I leave in a week!

Good luck and keep checking up on your status.  I did once a week.

Hi there,
How situation in Montreal now?
I am going to start application process this summer, 2009.Thanks.

Hey,

I have been dealing with CFRC Mtl for about 1 1/2 year now... like in any other office... there are great people that really want to help and there are people who just don't seem to care. Everytime you deal with CFRC, wrote down the names and dates and if one day you have trouble getting an answer or if you need help then you might want to ask for someone specific that you know really cared about helping you in the past.

also the speed is really up to your specific situation... security clearance and complication in the medical are out of your control... but when the ball is in your hands... do what you have to do to make it fast.

Good luck

the_girlfirend said:
security clearance and complication in the medical are out of your control... but when the ball is in your hands... do what you have to do to make it fast.

Exactly. I also want to add that when you're waiting for a call to schedule your different appointments, it doesn't hurt to ask for updates (without ranting or nagging, of course!). The staff's there to help you get in (everyone I've talked to seemed to care), so if you're keen and ask questions, they'll be happy to help, to check what's going on with your application and, if possible, to get it moving. That was my experience, anyway.  :)

Good luck!

sky777 said:
Hi there,
How situation in Montreal now?
I am going to start application process this summer, 2009.Thanks.

From what I gather whenever I go there and from talks with a recruiter friend, they are really busy right now due to a lot of people applying through CFRC Montreal. I just did my Aptitude testing yesterday and then have my medical scheduled for September 1st. If everything goes well after applying now, one should not expect things happening in less than a month.

One thing I will do is ask them every week if there is any cancellations for Medical, as well ask if it would be possible to do the medical at another CFRC that is less booked, like Ottawa (my home city two hours away). I am willing to pay to travel there if it means I can have the application process move faster.

Doubt they'll let you do it anywhere else.  You'll be waiting longer if they allowed it, cause it takes forever to send paper work from one place to another and back again.  I guess it doesn't hurt to ask though..
Just make sure to ask if you can hand deliver any documents they would have otherwise sent to Montreal/Wherever if they do approve it.
Cheers.

Thanks folks for information about current situation in Montreal.
I visited CFRC Montreal 2 times.Yes, they are very friendly people.I can apply even today. :nod:
But I have some personal circumstances- I am waiting for citizen card, because I am not was born Canadian. :crybaby:
It means my application process can take longer time then born Canadians because of security check.
But it will be third check.
First when I did application for immigration visa.Second- during application for citizenship  :cdn:.
But I really want to join CF.I have bac and I want take DEO program.

So, I did it.
After getting citizen card I prepared my applications ( I used Adobe Reader and printed all forms direct from it).
I took with me :
1.  4 Application Forms.
2. Citizen card
3.Evaluation of my University Diploma from Minister of Education Of Quebec.
4.My Canadian College Diploma ( I did study here in Canada,after I immigrated here).
5.My ID with photo
People were friendly there (CFRC Montreal) as ussual.Officer checked  my papers,did copy of my cards and diplomas.And after that he said that process can take about 6 months.
I don't know if there  are people like me on the forum.I am former immigrant.May be security check cam take a long time.We'll see.
I will be glad to hear from another people from Montreal, who applied recently or from former immigrants.

mellian said:
From what I gather whenever I go there and from talks with a recruiter friend, they are really busy right now due to a lot of people applying through CFRC Montreal. I just did my Aptitude testing yesterday and then have my medical scheduled for September 1st.
Hi there,
I think everything goes good with your process.
How was CFAT?Didi you do some preparation?Did you recive result at the same day?

sky777 said:
Hi there,
I think everything goes good with your process.
How was CFAT?Didi you do some preparation?Did you recive result at the same day?

I mainly brushed up on my math and reviewed the sample CFAT test. They will not give you specific results, but will be told if your results meets the trade requirements and if not, may have a quick interview and provided other trade options that you qualify. 

That is right...
Also in my case, at the interview the captain gave me my score.... I did not ask for it and I don't know if it is common... but she told me like it was normal for her: "oh! did you get your CFAT score?"

Back