• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFMAP for family members

Starlight1

Inactive
Reaction score
Question.  CFMAP says its available to CAF members and family.  Does an adult kid (21) still living in a service members home qualify?  Or is it just for spouses/partners?  My kid is dealing with a lot of issues due to MH of partner and best friend, has been using unhealthy coping methods and is reaching out for help to us.  Not an immediate crisis, but needs assistance.

Thanks in advance for any advice.  Will certainly deal with privately, but if CFMAP can be a quick start, that would be helpful.

Starlight1 said:
CFMAP says its available to CAF members and family.  Does an adult kid (21) still living in a service members home qualify? 

Canadian Forces Member Assistance Program (CFMAP)

Eligibility
•Regular Force – Regular Force members and their immediate family members, spouse, partner and dependant children of the member, have direct access to the CFMAP telephone counselling service 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
•Reserve Force – Certain members of the Reserve component, Cadet Instructor Cadre (CIC), Cadets, Canadian Rangers and certain family members of the preceding groups may also have access. In order for Reserve Force members and their family members to receive full assistance under this program, the situation or issue for which assistance is sought must be directly linked to service in the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF). Notwithstanding this condition, the individuals from any of these groups may contact CFMAP and receive an initial assessment followed by an appropriate referral.
•Parents and Siblings – Parents and siblings of CAF Regular and Reserve Force members who are injured or who die while in service have direct access to the CFMAP telephone counselling service 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

•Entitled individuals residing in Canada and the USA can access this program through the toll free telephone number 1-800-268-7708 (TDD 1-800-567-5803).
https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/guide/programs-canadian-forces/cfmap.html

Hmm, noted.  But as a 21 year old, perhaps kid does not qualify as a “dependent” at this point, although is still listed on my MPRR.

There are some grey lines that define 'dependent'...however my dependents have called and accessed services via CFMAP before and it was after she was 18/not living with us anymore.  She just needed my service number.

Noted, thank you.

Said son has thus far just disclosed his situation to my recently retired husband, who told him to talk to me about some of it.  The kid didn’t first come to me as he allegedly didn’t want to burden me as he knows I’m dealing with my own OSI issues.  As a mom, I’d rather know than worry about what it might be.  He has acknowledged my comments that I’m here if he wants to talk, some indication he may do so in the next few days.  Don’t want to intrude into the confidence between him and his dad.  Treading cautiously, but can’t ignore his turmoil.

Back