• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Uniforms

pbi said:
Actually, AFAIK there are no "purple" trades in the Army Reserve: Army Reseve soldiers cannot be moved between environments against their will. Unlike their Regular counterparts, their careers are managed through the Army Res chain of command, rather than via the NDHQ ADM HR (Mil) career manager world. An Army Reserve Veh Tech, supply tech or RMS clerk will be "green" for their entire service unless they decide to transfer to a reserve unit of another environment. This used to be true of our Res medics too, but now that they are in their own "world" that remains to be seen.

Cheers.

Is that why the Navy Reserve has the position of Naval Intelligence Officer?

Hello,

Does anyone know if you are in a trade which is native to all 3 elements (navy, army, air) if they can put you wherever they need you, or do you get to choose which element you want?

I, for one, would want Navy above all else.  Any ideas?

OD

It will depend on what Trade you select and are accepted for.  Some Trades can be "Any Element", while others are Element Specific.  You are not going to be Navy if you pick a Combat Arm (that is being really extreme as an example), as you are not likely to be Navy if you chose EME.  If you wanted Aero Engine or Air Frame Technician, you would be most likely in the Air Element.  Do you catch the pattern?

They will put you where they need you. For example, a buddy of mine wanted to go Navy Int O - but the CF needed Air Int O's, so he was given an offer for the air force. Other examples I know of; an HCA who wanted to go navy but was put in the Air F; an MPO who wanted Army but was offered a Navy position; a LOG O who wanted Navy but was given Air F and finally a lawyer who wanted Navy but was given Air F (in the end he sent a memo up his chain of command during IAP/BOTP and was granted a change to Navy).

These are all officer examples, however I'm sure the same thing happens in the NCM world with LOG and Medical trades. Those are the most common 'purple' trades (any element trades). There are others which you can find on the recruiting website (as it will specify if it is an element specific occupation)... MPs, Musicians, etc

HCA123,

Thats the kind of answer I was looking for.  Thanks.

If I want navy I guess I should sign up for a navy-specific trade then because one of the trades I am applying for (MOC 291) is in all elements, but I am guessing they would put me wherever they needed me.

OD

HCA123 said:
They will put you where they need you. For example, a buddy of mine wanted to go Navy Int O - but the CF needed Air Int O's, so he was given an offer for the air force. Other examples I know of; an HCA who wanted to go navy but was put in the Air F; an MPO who wanted Army but was offered a Navy position; a LOG O who wanted Navy but was given Air F and finally a lawyer who wanted Navy but was given Air F (in the end he sent a memo up his chain of command during IAP/BOTP and was granted a change to Navy).

These are all officer examples, however I'm sure the same thing happens in the NCM world with LOG and Medical trades. Those are the most common 'purple' trades (any element trades). There are others which you can find on the recruiting website (as it will specify if it is an element specific occupation)... MPs, Musicians, etc

ohdiesel said:
HCA123,

Thats the kind of answer I was looking for.  Thanks.

If I want navy I guess I should sign up for a navy-specific trade then because one of the trades I am applying for (MOC 291) is in all elements, but I am guessing they would put me wherever they needed me.

OD

Sign up for the trade you want, don't worry too much about what uniform you're wearing. In the end it's not going to matter what uniform you're wearing if you don't like your job.

Your uniform won't mean a thing if you're in a tri-service MOC.  You could end up Navy and spend your whole life in the field.  It's just a uniform.

MM

Hello,

I really doubt a naval communicator would be out in the field, right? 

I really want navy so I will try to keep it to a trade that deals with that.b

OD

medicineman said:
Your uniform won't mean a thing if you're in a tri-service MOC.  You could end up Navy and spend your whole life in the field.  It's just a uniform.

MM

As stated above: you will go where they need you.  If they need a 'Communicator' in the back woods of Camp Petawawa, then don't be surprised if you go there.  You are joining the CF and will have to be willing to serve anywhere you are needed.  If you can not accept that, then you will not do well in the Forces, and should be advised now to forget it.  Save us all a lot of grief and don't apply.

I do believe others have already answered your questions satisfactorily.  Topic Locked.  If you have other questions on Environmental Uniforms and Elements, please use the Search Function and look up what has already been discussed.

ohdiesel said:
Hello,

I really doubt a naval communicator would be out in the field, right? 

I really want navy so I will try to keep it to a trade that deals with that.b

OD

OD,

You are right BUT...MedicineMan said "tri-service MOC" (example Medic, RMS or Supply Tech).  NavComm is a hard Navy trade vice tri-service...

;D

I think there might be a little bit of confusion here, as two issues are being discussed at the same time.

First, when you join the Forces you're offered a job in a particular trade.  You can accept the offer if you like that trade, or decline it if you don't.  So there's no question of getting into the Forces and THEN being sent to a trade you don't want.

As others have said, some trades are specific to one element, e.g. all infanteers are in the army, and all boatswains are in the navy.  Some trades exist in two or three elements, e.g. RMS clerk or supply technician.  In those trades you can end up in any posting regardless of what uniform you wear, e.g. you can find army clerks in ships and navy supply technicians at air force bases.

Finally, some trades have element-specific sub-trades, e.g. logistics officers.  A naval logistics officer has taken training specific to the naval element, and presumably will spend most of his time working in that element, but if I'm not mistaken, can still be posted to a base or other employment in another element.  (Getting slightly outside of my experience on that issue, so better information than mine should be sought.)

But in all cases, a person really joins the Canadian Forces rather than the navy, army, or air force as such.  Anyone in the Forces can be sent anywhere he's needed, inside or outside of his own element (e.g. to teach a course or fill a position that doesn't have a specific trade requirement).

So...then...which uniform will a NO wear?
There aren't any NOs @ sea...yes?
They are tri-service MOCs yes?

HL

Hot Lips said:
So...then...which uniform will a NO wear?
There aren't any NOs @ sea...yes?
They are tri-service MOCs yes?

HL
What is a NO?

Well, if there are no NO@sea (MSN Speake?) then they can't be Naval Officers.  Could they be Nursing Officers?  Beats Nursing Sisters - NS.  Would hate to find a woman who was NS.

NO (Nursing Officers) can wear any of the environmental uniforms...

http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/career/tradeinfo_e.aspx?id=57

The Recruiting website shows what DEU a trade may wear...which is NOT directly related to where you can end up serving.  But the Working Environment info for each trade on the website gives the "standard party line" of where the trade "typically" serves.  Typically being the operative word IMO.

Oddly enough, one of the places not listed is...CFRCs   ;) (not "typical" employment for anyone? although we all know each environment employs members as CFRC staff under CFRG).

IIRC, the only "trade" that mentions recruiting centers in the job description is....

Officer - Personnel Selection

And even this trade is purple   ;D

George Wallace said:
Well, if there are no NO@sea (MSN Speake?) then they can't be Naval Officers.  Could they be Nursing Officers?  Beats Nursing Sisters - NS.  Would hate to find a woman who was NS.

or even worse...one that is N/S

:blotto:

whiskey601 said:
Is that why the Navy Reserve has the position of Naval Intelligence Officer?

Sorry: I must be missing something (it's Saturday morning...). What is the connection between support trades in the Army Res and IntO's in the NavRes?

Cheers

Back