• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF school administration

UberCree

Inactive
Reaction score
Policy question hopefully there is a SME in here somewhere.

This relates to primary and secondary schools on base, not trade / MOC schools.

Schools on base are unique in that they are considered a federal responsibility (similiar to First Nations School) not a provincial responsibility and I am curious to find out how they negotiate / work with the provincial Public Schools Acts and Education Administration Acts.  Who is responsible for the quality of education in CFB schools?  How is the funding determined (at provincial levels or which federal levels)?  Can they levy school taxes?

Anyone in here a school administrator, or know one?

RMC (Royal military College) is the only accredited University in the Forces and it's registered in Ontario.

Max

I am speaking here about elementary, middle and high schools on base. 

Do you know this or you are assuming this?

If a school is on a CFB it is a federal responsibility.  If it is being run by provincial authorities it is only via a negotiated agreement bwtween the CF and the local school division / province.  Which is why I am asking these questions.

UberCree,

I would be highly surprised to find out that any of the schools located on DND property are still administered by DND.  In Petawawa in the 1990's, I remember all of the schools being turned over to Renfrew County School board.  I think (and I could be proven wrong), that all schools are now run and funded (ultimately) by the provincial gov't in question.

I went to Elementary schools and High Schools on base almost all my life, and they were always run by local school boards, and under Provincial control.

Ubercree,

The schools on bases were turned over to local school divisions in the early 90s.  Winnipeg School Division would run the school(s) at 17 Wg to serve the children from the PMQ patch (and possibly the residential neighbourhoods around it as it within the city).

Cheers 

Back in the days when I was a brat and then later as a serving member, schools located on bases were paid for  and administered through the base, station administration system.  Later (70s or 80s) schools began to be transferred to the local school boards.  Prior to that the school board was made up of serving members under the direction of an officer nominated by the Base Commander.  President of School committee was usually a Major / Squadron Leader.
The few schools that exist on bases today are administered, staffed and run by the community school board.  The community school board normally negotiates with the local base to rent the school but for schools in Canada there is no active participation by the base.
For schools overseas they are still run under the old system and there is a CFAO in place detailing how they are administered.  The document that details the administration from NDHQ is called Dependent Education Management. 

My big question is who has the records of attendance from all these schools now that they have been turned over to local school boards some 20 or 30 years ago.  The local school boards deny any existence of records pertaining to kids that attended back in the 50s and 60s and I need to have a certificate signed attesting to the fact I attended this schools in Canada and Europe.
Anyone with any knowledge please contact me.
Thanks,

SAMEO444

Back