• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Pers and national political involvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

career_radio-checker

Inactive
Reaction score
I have a question. Would there be a conflict of interest if I volunteered at my MPs election campaign / Ottawa office?

I don't know if there would be a conflict of interest per se, but there is a general idea that serving members of the military, much like public servants, should not engage in party politics.  I believe this stems from the idea that they are servants of the crown and the crown must remain removed from the vulgarity of partisanship. 

Iam no expert but I dont think there would be a problem with you helping out, maybee if you were running in the election itself there would be a problem.

Just watched the government "fall" on cpac.

I think I remember something about members are not to be members of any Political party as must show that we are obedient of the party in power no matter our politics. I'm not sure if volunteering would count as that though.

From seeing the Sympatico MSN news section, the election will be expected on 23 Jan in the new year.

I haven't looked at the pam for this, but I don't see any problem with you being involved in the election proccess, as long as you don't represent your opinions as being the official opinion of your unit or the CF; i.e. don't go about doing it in uniform or some such.

Oohh, If I get to vote, it will be my very first election as a new(ish)Canadian citizen!  :D  But who should I vote for? I am really a little lost on this, as I don't know much about Canadian Politics or the histories of the parties...  ???

I'm sure you can volunteer for Elections Canada, or even get paid to work there. They run the elections, and they are not party biased.

Thanks for the input. I will have to consult my chain o' command for further details. Guess I should have done that before I gave my name into the volunteer hat at my MP's Ottawa office... aaaaaah crap  :brickwall:

I can't recall the QR&O, but I believe full time members of the armed forces are not permitted to work for political parties. It doesn't mention reservists.

My judgement is that by volunteering for my MP I would be proactive in the system which I swore an oath to protect while at the same time I would be safe from accusations of partisanship or conflict of interest because I am renduring my time without cost or benefits. I just have to behave and stick to my home constituency and not be an advocate for the military. Agree or disagree?

I will consult with my unit, but my civvie boss will be running for a left wing party in the upcoming fed election. I built his website last time, now after reading this thread I wonder if I'm allowed to do that? Is that partisan? Is that against the ruling party? Oh my. I thought we are free to affiliate with any party as long as we don't publically diss the reigning party? I'm going to have to call my unit on  this one. Oh by jesus, I don't want to do that website if it interferes with my CF career!

career_radio-checker said:
My judgement is that by volunteering for my MP I would be proactive in the system which I swore an oath to protect while at the same time I would be safe from accusations of partisanship or conflict of interest because I am renduring my time without cost or benefits. I just have to behave and stick to my home constituency and not be an advocate for the military. Agree or disagree?

Instead of banging your head against a wall over this, why don't you make like the sneaker commercial and "Just do it". There are regulations concerning CF members' involvement with political parties but IMO who cares? If you feel strongly enough to become involved in the political process my hat's off to you. I plan on joining a political party myself.

It is permitted for CF members to belong to parties and volunteer on campaigns, much as it is permitted for us to vote.  If you are volunteering, it should not be in the capacity of a "CF member", but as a private citizen only - i.e. don't go on walkabouts with your candidate in uniform or make a point of advertising your job.  CF members may not seek elected office because of the inherent conflicts of interest involved; I believe it is customary for active reservists to go into the Supplementary Holding Reserve while campaigning and to go back into the PRes if they lose.

General guidance found here:

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/099-09_e.asp

Remember CDF prevails, if it doesn't feel right then it isn't.

Hamitongs has it right.

In the last election I ran as a candidate for nomination to my party and had several military members helping out. 
    You can join a political party (just not the commy one) and I encourage you to be a member of a political party. You must be as said before out of uniform and not use your rank unit or name of the CF in any conversation or correspondence no matter how innocent you think it is. I would not suggest you pass it by your unit chain of command as they may have differing views and that will affect your future even if they are wrong. See you on the campaign trail!

hamiltongs said:
It is permitted for CF members to belong to parties and volunteer on campaigns, much as it is permitted for us to vote.   If you are volunteering, it should not be in the capacity of a "CF member", but as a private citizen only - i.e. don't go on walkabouts with your candidate in uniform or make a point of advertising your job.   CF members may not seek elected office because of the inherent conflicts of interest involved; I believe it is customary for active reservists to go into the Supplementary Holding Reserve while campaigning and to go back into the PRes if they lose.
3rd Horseman said:
Hamitongs has it right.

In the last election I ran as a candidate for nomination to my party and had several military members helping out.  
    You can join a political party (just not the commy one) and I encourage you to be a member of a political party. You must be as said before out of uniform and not use your rank unit or name of the CF in any conversation or correspondence no matter how innocent you think it is. I would not suggest you pass it by your unit chain of command as they may have differing views and that will affect your future even if they are wrong. See you on the campaign trail!

According to QR&O 19.44

No member of the Regular Force shall:

(7) (a) take an active part in the affairs of a political organization or party;

(b) make a political speech to electors, or announce himself or allow himself to be announced as a candidate, or prospective candidate, for election to the Parliament of Canada or a provincial legislature; or

(c) except with the permission of the Chief of the Defence Staff, accept an office in a municipal corporation or other local government body or allow himself to be nominated for election to such office.

I don't know how it works for Reserves

NavComm said:
I will consult with my unit, but my civvie boss will be running for a left wing party in the upcoming fed election. I built his website last time, now after reading this thread I wonder if I'm allowed to do that? Is that partisan? Is that against the ruling party? Oh my. I thought we are free to affiliate with any party as long as we don't publically diss the reigning party? I'm going to have to call my unit on   this one. Oh by jesus, I don't want to do that website if it interferes with my CF career!

Speaking from my own experience - my dad is a politician and in civvie land I'm a web developer - you are allowed.   And government employees are allowed to take membershp in political parties, volunteer for campaigns, and display lawn signs.   There was a time that this was not exactly forbidden, but it was frowned upon.   As far as working (and being paid) for a political party, I believe the rules depend on the department and position held.

I would encourage everyone who reads this to volunteer this time around. But like Jumper said don't do it in uniform.   Choose who you like and then get involved.   Deliver some brochures, put up a sign, wear a button.   Be part of the solution, not the problem.

The rules are the same for both Regular and Reserves:

19.44 - POLITICAL ACTIVITIES AND CANDIDATURE FOR OFFICE
(1) For the purposes of this article:
"political advertising" means advertising, the purpose of which is to gain support for the election of a candidate for federal, provincial or
municipal office or to gain support for, or to encourage some action in support of, the maintenance or change of a policy that is the
responsibility of government at the federal, provincial or municipal level; (publicité à caractère politique)

"political canvassing" means an activity by which an individual approaches another individual to gain support for the election of a candidate for federal, provincial or municipal office or to gain support for, or to encourage some action in support of, the maintenance or change of a policy that is the responsibility of government at the federal, provincial or municipal level; (sollicitation politique)

"political meeting" means a meeting that is planned for a specific time and place and is designed to promote political action by those attending; (réunion politique)

"political speech" means a speech, the purpose of which is to promote political action by those to whom it is addressed. (discours politique)

(2) Except as otherwise authorized under the Canada Elections Act (Revised Statutes of Canada, 1985, Chapter E-2) or any other statute of the Parliament of Canada, a commanding officer shall ensure that any activity that takes place on a defence establishment, including a base or unit, under his command does not affect the actual or perceived political neutrality of the Canadian Forces and, in particular, no commanding officer shall:

(a) except as provided in paragraph (6), allow a political meeting to be held or a political speech to be delivered on a defence establishment;

(b) allow the display of political advertising anywhere on a defence establishment in areas exposed to public view; or

(c) except as provided in paragraphs (4) and (5), allow political canvassing or the distribution of political advertising, other than by mail, anywhere on a defence establishment.

(3) Subject to paragraph (7), paragraph (2) does not apply to any activity that takes place within the confines of a married quarter in Canada.

(4) A commanding officer shall permit political canvassing and the distribution of political advertising to single quarters and married quarters if, having regard to security and privacy requirements, the canvassers or distributors can be given access to such quarters.

(5) The Chief of the Defence Staff may authorize the broadcast, through Canadian Forces broadcasting facilities, of free-time political broadcasts.

(6) In exceptional circumstances, and where no practical alternative location can be found, the Minister may authorize the use of a defence
establishment or any part thereof for the conduct of a political meeting or the delivery of a political speech.

(7) No member of the Regular Force shall:

(a) take an active part in the affairs of a political organization or party;

(b) make a political speech to electors, or announce himself or allow himself to be announced as a candidate, or prospective candidate, for
election to the Parliament of Canada or a provincial legislature; or

(c) except with the permission of the Chief of the Defence Staff, accept an office in a municipal corporation or other local government body or allow himself to be nominated for election to such office.

(8) No officer or non-commissioned member shall organize or take part in a political meeting on a defence establishment.

NOTES
(A) Examples of meetings or speeches that might be considered to be political meetings or political speeches are those that are designed to:
(a) solicit votes for a candidate in a federal, provincial or municipal election
(b) solicit funds to support a candidate in a federal, provincial or municipal election or a political party; or
(c) organize a lobby to maintain or change public policy at the federal, provincial or municipal level.

(B) An example of a meeting or speech that might not be considered to be a political meeting or political speech is a meeting or speech that is designed to impart information but does not require or expect any specific solicited political action to follow as a result.

a_majoor said:
19.44 - POLI

POLITICAL ACTIVITIES AND CANDIDATURE FOR OFFICE
(1) For the purposes of this article:
"political advertising" means advertising, the purpose of which is to gain support for the election of a candidate for federal, provincial or
municipal office or to gain support for, or to encourage some action in support of, the maintenance or change of a policy that is the
responsibility of government at the federal, provincial or municipal level; (publicité à caractère politique)

"political canvassing" means an activity by which an individual approaches another individual to gain support for the election of a candidate for federal, provincial or municipal office or to gain support for, or to encourage some action in support of, the maintenance or change of a policy that is the responsibility of government at the federal, provincial or municipal level; (sollicitation politique)

"political meeting" means a meeting that is planned for a specific time and place and is designed to promote political action by those attending; (réunion politique)

"political speech" means a speech, the purpose of which is to promote political action by those to whom it is addressed. (discours politique)

(2) Except as otherwise authorized under the Canada Elections Act (Revised Statutes of Canada, 1985, Chapter E-2) or any other statute of the Parliament of Canada, a commanding officer shall ensure that any activity that takes place on a defence establishment, including a base or unit, under his command does not affect the actual or perceived political neutrality of the Canadian Forces and, in particular, no commanding officer shall:

(a) except as provided in paragraph (6), allow a political meeting to be held or a political speech to be delivered on a defence establishment;

(b) allow the display of political advertising anywhere on a defence establishment in areas exposed to public view; or

(c) except as provided in paragraphs (4) and (5), allow political canvassing or the distribution of political advertising, other than by mail, anywhere on a defence establishment.

(3) Subject to paragraph (7), paragraph (2) does not apply to any activity that takes place within the confines of a married quarter in Canada.

(4) A commanding officer shall permit political canvassing and the distribution of political advertising to single quarters and married quarters if, having regard to security and privacy requirements, the canvassers or distributors can be given access to such quarters.

(5) The Chief of the Defence Staff may authorize the broadcast, through Canadian Forces broadcasting facilities, of free-time political broadcasts.

(6) In exceptional circumstances, and where no practical alternative location can be found, the Minister may authorize the use of a defence
establishment or any part thereof for the conduct of a political meeting or the delivery of a political speech.

(a) take an active part in the affairs of a political organization or party;

(b) make a political speech to electors, or announce himself or allow himself to be announced as a candidate, or prospective candidate, for
election to the Parliament of Canada or a provincial legislature; or

( No officer or non-commissioned member shall organize or take part in a political meeting on a defence establishment.

NOTES
(A) Examples of meetings or speeches that might be considered to be political meetings or political speeches are those that are designed to:
(a) solicit votes for a candidate in a federal, provincial or municipal election
(b) solicit funds to support a candidate in a federal, provincial or municipal election or a political party; or
(c) organize a lobby to maintain or change public policy at the federal, provincial or municipal level.

(B) An example of a meeting or speech that might not be considered to be a political meeting or political speech is a meeting or speech that is designed to impart information but does not require or expect any specific solicited political action to follow as a result.

Ok so I read this in detail and the jist is pretty simple.
1. Don't compromise the neutrality of the forces (easily done by not advertising the fact that you are in the CF and not being in Uniform while working for the MP. Basically, treat it as an 'affair' and don't let the two ever meet.)
2. No campagning on DND property (of course)
3. Commanding officers can hold debates on base as long as they invite all the parties (tee hee. that means he has to invite the communist party)
4. No Regular Force member may be politicaly active. (unfair if you ask me but that's the loop hole i don't want to get my neck in. Some of you say it applies to ALL members but others say I can because I'm a reservist.)

I have questions I'd like to contact my colon o' command but because of what 3'rd horseman said I feel that I can't/shouldn't.
comments?

I did ask my chain of command (WRT Municipal elections actually), and the answer was a resounding NO except for running for municipal office.

Attending all candidate meetings, asking questions,and voting are very clear areas you can go into.

Working for/with a declared candidate during the election is murky, but I would advise to use common sense and discretion. Don't forget, other people out there know you are a service member, and even if you don't identify yourself as a CF member, you might get "outed", with possible negative consequences.

Regular readers will be well aware that there are some politicians/political parties that I would sooner kick in the conjones, but for what's left of the democratic process to work, we at least should respect the rules and work within them.

(a) take an active part in the affairs of a political organization or party

This would seem to include things like taking part in riding association votes for things like sending delegates to convention X. or supporting policy initiative Y..  or voting in leadership elections and things like that..  Which is all pretty much what being an active member of the party is all about. 

So.. am I allowed to take an inactive part in the party then, and just hang-10 with my name on the register for the sake of being there?  This line seems to remove the option of meaningful partisan political involvement beyond voting.

They really should have mentioned this during the recruiting process.  Maybe I'll take a don't-ask-don't-tell approach to this one.  ..At least until someone tells me that I am responsible for knowing the contents of  QR&O article 19.44.

..Anyway, I don't need to worry about it for 15 more days.  ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back