• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Hair Regulations - Female styles

So my hair is a no go, great, thanks mom for passing down your genes.

Those are nice cuts and everything but it won't mean anything to my hair it will just curl like crazy (like in my picture) the shorter the curlier and more wild. My hair will be sticking out at weird angles, flipping all over the place, doing drugs and having unprotected sex, I have no control over my hair and there's nothing I can do about it. It drives me crazy.

I guess I'll just have to cut it all super short and gel it like there's no tomorrow, I'm sure I can find some cuts that aren't too manly.
Oh well, thanks anyways.  =(

Hey there,

I had long hair last summer and I did a three-week pre-recruit training course. When you have 5 minutes to pretty much shower, change, do your hair and get into formation? It just doesn't work. First thing when I got home was cut it all off and go real short. (mine was half-way down my back)... I decided I just didn't have enough time to do what I needed to do to it properly, without causing extra grief. Long hair takes time to wash and time to put up and time...  and then the little whispys I had? Meh.

I cut it real short and while it may look "boyish", remember that all the guys will pretty much be shaved so...  you'll still stand out as a girl :)  It takes about 20 seconds to wash, hardly any time to dry and... it WILL grow back later, which is my intent once my training is done.

I also have the natural curl wavy thing and,  I think that as long as it looks like you brushed your hair, it's not touching the collar and it's not in your eyes, then it should be okay. I mean, there's only so much we can do, right?? I've invested in several cans of "instant freeze" hairspray which essentially keeps the strands in place all day. The Kiwi Aussie one works wonders.

When are you off to BMQ? I'll be there in just over two weeks!

recceguy said:
zero on the sides and two on the top ;)

I've been mighty tempted lately my friend! We'll see how the first week goes, then maybe I'll resort to the mostly bald look, haha!

Barmecide said:
Those are nice cuts and everything but it won't mean anything to my hair it will just curl like crazy (like in my picture) the shorter the curlier and more wild. My hair will be sticking out at weird angles, flipping all over the place, doing drugs and having unprotected sex, I have no control over my hair and there's nothing I can do about it. It drives me crazy.

You owe me a beer after that... Gods, it burns when you blow it out your nose!

It is clear your desire to join up supersedes hair style. But fear not, the army (and CF) is not that big of fashion killer. Like I said before... Natural. If your hair is naturally crazy, well, so long as you manage it, we will not be looking for a Natalie Portman a la "V".

I am sure you will manage, some potential growing pains, but you will manage.

Remember your lessons well, as who knows, in ten years you could be the one as the MCpl or the Sgt giving the advice, and guiding someone along.

armychick2009 said:
When are you off to BMQ? I'll be there in just over two weeks!

I'm not leaving till November 8th, I've decided I'll just keep my hair long till I have to leave then it's off to the gallows, chop chop. I'm still afraid I'll look horrible with short hair but from what I've read it'll be for the best.
Too bad life doesn't have an edit>undo button.

You do know the nice thing about hair?  It grows back.

If you don't like the way it is cut; well.....in a couple of weeks/months you can have it cut again.

Barmecide said:
I'm not leaving till November 8th, I've decided I'll just keep my hair long till I have to leave then it's off to the gallows, chop chop. I'm still afraid I'll look horrible with short hair but from what I've read it'll be for the best.
Too bad life doesn't have an edit>undo button.

I've reached for that magic "undo" button more than once, always shocked when I realise it isn't there!

Maybe see if you can get a trendy french haircut... the stylists can do amazing things with short hair! 

Barmecide said:
So my hair is a no go, great, thanks mom for passing down your genes.

I guess I'll just have to cut it all super short and gel it like there's no tomorrow, I'm sure I can find some cuts that aren't too manly.
Oh well, thanks anyways.  =(

Your hair is far from curly. My hair ... is curly. Think afro curly. Think afro curls and spots where it all naturally bunches into one big clump of a ringlet. And frizzy. Naturally. Curly hair is  natural and allowable.

Having cuts that hang way down in front past the collar level while short in the back is not a natural cut. Allowing curly hair to frizz all over is not allowed. My curls are fine even when hanging to my collar, but I do use a leave in conditioner or anti-frizz so that it doesn`t look like my finger was stuck into a light socket.

Think carrot top and then you have my hair. Shoulder length. It can be tamed. This I know. I have to do it every day. I`ll get a couple pics of mine .... before and after.

I had the shaved head at basic -- bleh, not really by choice, but by stupidity.  One weekend near grad, I dyed my hair black, my staff didn't like it, so off it went!  Worst 8 bucks I ever spent on a haircut, hahahaha!  My hair's ridiculously thick, so it grew out standing straight up -- I looked like a tennis ball for many many months, but it grew back.  Now I'm sitting here in Afghanistan trying really really hard not to shave it all off -- it was so convenient and easy!  (Must think of wedding in 6 months -- would like to have hair for it!)

Sparkplugs said:
I had the shaved head at basic -- bleh, not really by choice, but by stupidity.  One weekend near grad, I dyed my hair black, my staff didn't like it, so off it went!  Worst 8 bucks I ever spent on a haircut, hahahaha!  My hair's ridiculously thick, so it grew out standing straight up -- I looked like a tennis ball for many many months, but it grew back.  Now I'm sitting here in Afghanistan trying really really hard not to shave it all off -- it was so convenient and easy!  (Must think of wedding in 6 months -- would like to have hair for it!)

Interesting, as I was reading through this I pondered whether or not any women would choose to shave their heads during BMQ.  In your case, from what I can tell, it was not really by choice. 

I supposed I would be safe in assuming that a woman with a shaved head wouldn't be deemed to have an 'exaggerated' haircut then?

GenePool said:
I supposed I would be safe in assuming that a woman with a shaved head wouldn't be deemed to have an 'exaggerated' haircut then?

I don't know that females can shave their head bald, however, I have seen some that are quite short.  Most of those were in Afghanistan.

Sounds more like you were in MY gutter...I was just having problems picturing you with your melon shaved - this a Cops for Canncer thing or something to that effect?  Or did someone just dare you?

MM

medicineman said:
Sounds more like you were in MY gutter...I was just having problems picturing you with your melon shaved - this a Cops for Canncer thing or something to that effect?  Or did someone just dare you?

MM

Nah, although I've gone a couple rounds with the big C (& am still smoking  :-\), this particular pic was unrelated to any of that.

A few of the Snr Officers from Trenton anted up their hair as part of United Way fundraising. I think it was 10 grand per haircut. When the day came for the deed to be done, they had their heads shaved down to mere #2s by the barber (Air Force guys you know ...  >:D). I made a comment that I'd go totally "bald" as that was what the deal was supposed to be. Someone said "yeah, right". So, up I walked and told the barber they had brought in to take it all off. He did. After that, the Officers had their hair re-cut down to bald.

It was just one of those things. I can't remember how much we actually raised that year, but it was awesome and record setting.

GenePool said:

I never walked around bald as a habit, mind you, I have always had very short haircuts since my entry into the CF. I have naturally curly red afro hair. Think Carrot Top & Lil Orphan Annie. I haven't had a haircut since last Nov 8th as I promised my kids I'd go a full year without cutting it to see what it ends up like. I have only just managed to get it into a braid last week. it looks goofy - it'll be gone this Nov 9th I swear.

In 90-91, I was tasked to Goose Bay from CFB Halifax to work with the MPs there and 119 AD Arty out of Chatam to perform the searchs on female innuit that were arrested during the Low-Level Flight Protests. I had a crew-cut at the time - Marine style. No one from either of those Units had an issue with it and I recall one occasion where I was used as the demo model for one of the troops who was deemed to be "in need" of a haircut when they called me in and said to him, "if your hair is longer than hers, you need a haircut."

In late 90, 119 AD was pulled out so that they could man the ships heading out to Gulf War I. They were replaced by the Van Doos. One crusty old guy in the Van Doos (a Sgt) did have a problem with my haircut. He stood me to attention one day and raged all over me about how he was going to have me charged with "personating a male". I reached under my shirt, pulled out my bra strap and said "show me a man who wears a bra to work with his uniform and I'll show you someone you can charge." I didn't get charged (caveat: for that 'personating').

When I disembarked the herc at CFS Alert in 98, and walked into the theatre for the new-arrivals in-brief by the CO & SWO, the SWO made the comment "I can see we're not going to have a problem with your hair while you're here" before launching into his speil about dress & deportment on station.

So, other than that one incident - I've never had an issue or gotten any grief over having a number 2 or 3 as a female. Circa Y2K, # 3 and 4 became my 'norm' ... and people were commenting then about me letting my hair grow so long.  8)

Back