• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF-18's headed to A'stan?

NovaScotiaNewfie

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all heard last night the Government/DND/CF offered Nato 6 Hornets I think for air support in A'Stan. Anyone hear more about this or if it's likely they will be deployed? Does the Army get much training working with the CAF for air support training? Have heard of live fire exercises using the Hornets not sure if that's the same as training for Air Support thought.

Thanks,
Josh

Just found this article (From the Toronto Star).

"OTTAWA—Just a month after the defence department denied any plans to dispatch CF-18 fighter jets to Afghanistan, Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor has opened the door to a possible deployment.

With opposition critics accusing the government of a flip-flop, O'Connor told the Commons yesterday: "Recently we made a commitment to NATO that we will have six CF-18s ready for NATO if they require us. That is why the money was spent to fix up these CF-18s."

The Toronto Star revealed last month that Ottawa was making preparations in case its fighter jets were needed in Afghanistan. That included a $1.9 million contract with the U.S. government for "deployment support" for the CF-18s.

But the Star story sparked an angry response from the defence department, with officials taking the unusual step of issuing a statement to deny plans to send the sleek jets abroad.

"To clarify, the Department of National Defence has no intention to deploy CF-18s to Afghanistan," the Sept. 22, 2006 statement read.

That was the same day that Afghan President Hamid Karzai was in Ottawa for an official visit and there was speculation the Conservative government was uncomfortable with any suggestion that it was escalating its military commitment to the controversial conflict.

Yesterday in the Commons, O'Connor said there's been no recommendation to send CF-18s in support of the 2,500 Canadian troops now on the ground in Kandahar.

"They will not be deployed unless there is an operational requirement," he said.

But under further questioning from NDP MP Dawn Black, O'Connor confirmed that Canada has committed six CF-18s to NATO for use in operations, if needed. His officials could not be reached to clarify his comments.

Last month, O'Connor said he was not aware of any proposal to send the fighter jets. "I think I can deny it because no one's even brought it across my desk," he told Ottawa radio station CFRA.

But newly revealed department emails indicate that even the top air force general was uncomfortable with the hard-line denial issued in September.

"(Chief of air staff) is concerned that this statement has painted us into a corner for future, if for instance, our allies who currently provide support pull out," reads an email from one air force official, obtained under access-to-information legislation.

"At this time there is no intention but this doesn't necessarily close the door entirely to the future," responded Lane Anker, the associate deputy minister of public affairs at the defence department.

Currently, British and American fighters are providing air support for Canadian troops engaged in bitter battles to clear out insurgents.

The emails also confirm that the defence department was making preparations as far back as January to deploy CF-18s.

"The Government of Canada has an Urgent requirement for a Blanket Order Case to cover the deployment of the CF-18 aircraft in support of Operation Enduring Freedom," reads the Jan. 26 email from a public works employee.

The services that could be required for the CF-18 deployment include spare parts for aircraft and weapon systems, technical assistance for "in-theatre logistics" and hardware to "support deployed operations."

Another email within the department's materiel section said the contract was a "contingency ... should we be called upon to deploy CF-18s."

Opposition critics yesterday accused the government of a "flip-flop" over the CF-18s and said it was just the latest in a string of contradictions to plague the department and its decisions about staffing and equipment for the Afghan mission.

"They said over and over again that tanks wouldn't be going to Afghanistan. Now we know they're there," said Black, the NDP MP for New Westminster-Coquitlam.

"Originally he said there would be no CF-18s going to Afghanistan. (Now) I interpreted it that there may be CF-18s going to Afghanistan," Black told reporters yesterday.

"Who is running the show? ... How well-informed is the minister about what is going on in his department," she said.

Liberal MP Ujjal Dosanjh (Vancouver South) said O'Connor had "contradicted" himself.

"He's now saying that we've told NATO that if they need our CF-18s, they would be ready," said Dosanjh, the party's defence critic.

And coming after the military revealed plans to send air force and navy personnel as backups to Afghanistan, Dosanjh said this was further evidence of a government "flying by the seat of its pants.""

Poor Mr Dossanjh, once again he demonstrates his inability to distinguish a Minister that listens to his General's appreciation and requirements for a fluid situation from his own party's draconian and doctrinaire approach to the military...'after all 'der just like de Boy Scouts...'

Fifteen minutes up , Ujjal, thanks, for the gag....

No plans for CF-18s in Afghanistan: O'Connor
There are no plans to deploy Canadian CF-18 fighter jets to Afghanistan, Minister of National Defence Gordon O'Connor said Tuesday.

O'Connor was responding to questions in Parliament about newspaper reports that Canada had agreed to send six CF-18s to NATO if the Alliance asked for them. 

It's the second time this week that the issue has come up in the House of Commons

During Monday's Question Period, NDP defence critic Dawn Black asked whether Ottawa was planning to deploy Canadian fighters to Afghanistan. At first, O'Connor denied Black's contention.

"There has been no recommendation to deploy CF-18s," O'Connor said, "They will not be deployed unless there is an operational requirement."

But Black then asked about the Department of Defence taking out a contract worth more than $1 million to get the jets ready for combat.

There are no plans to deploy Canadian CF-18 fighter jets to Afghanistan, Minister of National Defence Gordon O'Connor said Tuesday.

O'Connor was responding to questions in Parliament about newspaper reports that Canada had agreed to send six CF-18s to NATO if the Alliance asked for them. 

It's the second time this week that the issue has come up in the House of Commons

During Monday's Question Period, NDP defence critic Dawn Black asked whether Ottawa was planning to deploy Canadian fighters to Afghanistan. At first, O'Connor denied Black's contention.

"There has been no recommendation to deploy CF-18s," O'Connor said, "They will not be deployed unless there is an operational requirement."

But Black then asked about the Department of Defence taking out a contract worth more than $1 million to get the jets ready for combat.

Continue Article

In reply, O'Connor confirmed that the jets would be sent to NATO if the Alliance asked for them.

"Recently, we made a commitment to NATO that will have six CF-18s ready for NATO if it requires us. That is why the money was spent to fix up those CF-18s," he said.

Speaking in Parliament Tuesday, O'Connor said the jets were intended for use by NATO's rapid reaction force, not for specific deployment to Afghanistan or anywhere else. The Alliance is putting together the force from the military assets of member countries as demands grow for NATO involvement in various international trouble spots.

NATO is currently involved in Afghanistan, Kosovo and Darfur.

Canada has 98 CF-18 Hornet fighter jets based in Bagotville, Que., and Cold Lake, Alta. They were last deployed outside North America during the NATO air campaign in former Yugoslavia in 1999.

Currently, British and American aircraft are used in Afghanistan to provide air support to NATO ground troops fighting the Taliban. Warplanes are usually called in by ground forces to dislodge well-entrenched insurgent positions by bombing and strafing them from above.

Afghan officials say many civilians have died in NATO air raids.
Answered?

Fighters.. ready for combat... in our skies...

Fighters...

Ready For Combat....

In our Skies....

In our Skies....???

Is this the kind of Canada you want to live in????

Deny, Deny, Deny.  Isn't this how things work in the CF?  Did they not deny that they were sending in the Leopards before actually sending them over?

cplcaldwell said:
Fighters.. ready for combat... in our skies...
Is this the kind of Canada you want to live in????

A Canada where our Armed Forces have combat ready equipment? Most certainly.

*If I missed some sort of humour/sarcasm/etc, please forgive me, I'm still new here :)

Mithras said:
Deny, Deny, Deny.  Isn't this how things work in the CF?  Did they not deny that they were sending in the Leopards before actually sending them over?

Are we supposed to let the enemy know everything were doing ? "Hey Mr. Taliban better get ready we're sending some big guns over"  ::)

*clunking heads together*

Declaring aircraft available to NATO does not necessarily equate to declaring them for service in Afghanistan.  There's no contradiction here and certainly no "denial"

It even says this in the article:

O'Connor said the jets were intended for use by NATO's rapid reaction force, not for specific deployment to Afghanistan or anywhere else. The Alliance is putting together the force from the military assets of member countries as demands grow for NATO involvement in various international trouble spots.

we have ships committeed to NATO as well - but, to date, they haven't been sent to South East Asia....
So we've committed 6 aircraft to NATO, they're there for same said reason, doesn't mean that they will be used.

geo said:
we have ships committeed to NATO as well - but, to date, they haven't been sent to South East Asia....
So we've committed 6 aircraft to NATO, they're there for same said reason, doesn't mean that they will be used.

South WEST Asia.......

South EAST Asia would be around Viet-Nam and the sort....

Flatspin said:
Are we supposed to let the enemy know everything were doing ? "Hey Mr. Taliban better get ready we're sending some big guns over"  ::)

I was just pointing out that the CF tends to deny what they are planning and therefore it could be possible that CF-18's are heading over,  I was not judging the policy. ;)

Mithras said:
I was just pointing out that the CF tends to deny what they are planning and therefore it could be possible that CF-18's are heading over,  I was not judging the policy. ;)

Opsec & denying what is being planned?..... Hmmm......
Nope, nothing wrong here.

Mithras said:
Like I said I am not judging the policy.

What policy is that ?

The announcement was not to deploy CF-18s to Afghanistan.  We are comiting CF-18s to NATO's reaction force. I dont see where the denial is.  The idea of sending CF-18s to Afghanistan was floated before and it had been decided, IIRC, that the cost and logistical dificulties outweighed the benefits.  Even if we were to now send them, so what ?  Can we not adapt to the situation as it changes with you interpreting it as government denial ?

CAS by fast movers has some problems, and even a "six pack" of CF-18's would require a fairly sophisticated support structure in place, unless we were planning to do something like fly the planes out of an unnamed Middle Eastern nation. CF-18's have fairly short legs compared to F-15's, and would need lots of tanker support as a minimum. Pilots might have issues with the very long round trips in a single seat fighter, Mark Bowden had an article in Atlantic Monthly (unable to search this right now) which described flights of 12 hr duration.

Just thinking out loud, but the Hawks used in pilot training might actually make better CAS platforms which could be based in Kandahar, if we actually owned them. Of course a flight or squadron of A-37 Dragonfly's http://www.globalaircraft.org/planes/a-37_dragonfly.pl would be even better.....

A question here...

Once the CF 18's are readied and put at NATO's disposal who gets the say on where/when they go?

I know that might seem trite, but does Canada tacitly agree that the resources can be sent anywhere that NATO needs them once they are assigned? Is there an element in the process that requires Canadian Gov't approval? Is this approval a rubber stamp?

The Canadian government always has the final say on deployments, regardless of the command relationship put into place when the resources are cut over to NATO.

Thanks TR.

I was just trying to understand if this was being 'nuanced' in some way. I return to the article and to CAS's concerns that the hard line denials from MND was "painting us into to a corner" (sic). Call it my conspiracy theory tendencies but I began to wonder if a 'plausible deniability' factor was built into the assignment.

I had visions of reading "Gordon O'Connor denied a government flip flop in the deployment of CF-18's to Afghanistan stating that since the Hornets were assigned to NATO it was NATO's decision to deploy them not Canada's..." somewhere in the future ....

I don't suppose I actually believed that was the case but the mind control waves are particularly dense today, not unlike my skull, and I am having some trouble being rational .... (to wit... ever since I read Jack Layton was willing to bring down the Gov't on the Clean Air Act... yeh right, a Boxing Day election....)

Back