• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF-188 Hornet, Canada's jet fighter

OceanBonfire said:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/air-force-to-spend-hundred-of-millions-more-to-keep-cf-18s-fighting-fit-1.4767052

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/fighter-jets-millions-dollars-1.5426860

Anyone want to take bets that we won’t have a single operational replacement jet in Canada in 2025, 5 short years from now?

To put things in perspective, at 100 million a copy, we could have had 38 new hornets or F35s flying in 2025 for the same price with the first ones coming on line within 2 years.    I am guessing that if they start tomorrow (which they won't) the first fully re-built F18 will be returned to the line around about Christmas next year.  What a waste of money

MarkOttawa said:
And pilots for them?

Mark
Ottawa

There's the rub....

"Adding Australian Hornets won't necessarily solve the manpower problem, the auditors cautioned. "The purchase will not fix the fundamental weaknesses with the fleet: the aircraft’s declining combat capability and the shortage of personnel."

"The Australian F/A-18s will need modifications and upgrades to allow them to fly until 2032. These modifications will bring the F/A-18s to the same level as the CF-18s but will not improve the CF-18’s combat capability. In addition, National Defense still does not have enough technicians to maintain and pilots to fly the aircraft."

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/canadas-air-force-destined-become-old-obsolete-40802

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/32869/this-man-owns-the-worlds-most-advanced-private-air-force-after-buying-46-f-a-18-hornets

For anyone curious here is where 46 other Australian jets went. This man has a bigger fighter force then we do.

MilEME09 said:
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/32869/this-man-owns-the-worlds-most-advanced-private-air-force-after-buying-46-f-a-18-hornets

For anyone curious here is where 46 other Australian jets went. This man has a bigger fighter force then we do.

Once the F35s are purchased, I wonder if a similar scenario is in store for our F18s, turn them into a private aggressor sqn. It would be a shame to scatter them across the country and put them on sticks.

Just shows you that you can run more than one type and keep them flying when you have proper systems in place to buy parts and have staff to fix them.

Colin P said:
Just shows you that you can run more than one type and keep them flying when you have proper systems in place to buy parts and have staff to fix them.

*When you don’t have Quebec to keep employed. :nod:

"This will allow Air USA to operate at least three fully outfitted squadrons of the 4th generation fighters at all times,"

Sweet J***, how many fully outfitted squadrons do we have?  :(

Baden Guy said:
"This will allow Air USA to operate at least three fully outfitted squadrons of the 4th generation fighters at all times,"

Sweet J***, how many fully outfitted squadrons do we have?  :(

Technically two

The latest from the buyandsell.gc.ca website:

Commercial air transportation services

The Department of National Defence (DND) requires the supply of commercial air transportation services to transport twelve (12) F/A-18 A/B Hornet aircraft (F/A-18) and up to seven (7) optional F/A-18 aircraft for a total of up to nineteen (19) F/A-18 aircraft, including components and equipment, from Australia to their required delivery point in Canada.

Link

Any one have insight into why its been so long after the announced purchase to this? Why not fly them back via c17? Or fly back under their own power?

MilEME09 said:
Any one have insight into why its been so long after the announced purchase to this? Why not fly them back via c17? Or fly back under their own power?

My guess: Cheaper to send our people to disassemble everything for shipment back to Canada. They will all have to be upgraded anyway by (L3?). Also I can’t imagine the logistics that would be required to fly them from Aus to Quebec, that’s a long long way in a tight cockpit. I find it interesting that this contract is by air transport, wouldn’t sea-transport be more efficient as you could, maybe, do one trip/one ship?

The first couple were brought back via C-17 but I imagine it is putting a strain in the fleet.  Also, we cannot fly with the Australian software and their seat is different than ours and so is our life support equipment (and it is not entirely compatible).  It would be quite the logistical challenge to complete the mods in Australia to fly them in Canada (with tanker support).

A number of the aircraft (seven, as I recall) are being bought for parts, not as operational flying aircraft.

MilEME09 said:

Or, more ignominiously, by cargo ship ...

daftandbarmy said:
Or, more ignominiously, by cargo ship ...

That is a good question... it's not like they've been in a hurry or need to be.

Back