• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CDS to visit troops for Xmas

Franko

Staff member
Directing Staff
Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061222/hillier_christmas_061222/20061222?hub=Canada

Gen. Rick Hillier to spend Christmas with troops

Updated Fri. Dec. 22 2006 8:05 PM ET

Canadian Press

OTTAWA -- Gen. Rick Hillier celebrated Christmas with his family a week ago so he could spend the real holiday with soldiers, sailors and air personnel in and around Afghanistan.

The chief of the defence staff flew aboard the patrol frigate HMCS Ottawa in the Persian Gulf on Friday to start a whirlwind holiday tour.

He flies into Afghanistan on Christmas Eve after a day aboard the warship.

"I'm going to spend some time with our troops both inside and outside the wire at Kandahar and the provincial reconstruction team and a few hours in Kabul because we've got probably got 75 Canadians in Kabul,'' he said in a telephone interview from the ship, minutes after his helicopter landed in the darkness.

Hillier has brought some entertainment for the troops, including comedians Rick Mercer and Mary Walsh and the Montreal rock band Jonas.

Jonas released its self-titled first album in 2004 and has just released another called Suite Life.

Hillier said the band members, Jonas Tomalty, Corey Diabo, Ange E. Curcio and Domenic Romanelli are keen to get on the ground with the soldiers.

"They're pretty excited to be able to come out and show their support,'' he said.

HMCS Ottawa left her home port of Esquimalt, B.C., in September for a six-month deployment as part of what the navy calls Operation Altair.

The ship, with a crew of 225, has been patrolling the region watching for contraband as part of a coalition naval force. Earlier this month, the vessel rescued 18 sailors from a sinking boat.

Ottawa has also been keeping an eye for an old threat: pirates.

"Piracy is a major major issue in this part of the world,'' said Hillier.

The general, a 51-year-old Newfoundland-born armour officer, has been chief of the defence staff, for almost two years.

He has overseen the toughest phase of the Canadian mission in Afghanistan and has made a number of visits to the troops.

Hillier said he always tries to talk to every single soldier, sailor or airman or women on these trips.

Their morale, he says, never ceases to impress him.

"People are focused on the job, they're happy in what they're doing, they believe in the mission they have and that's the truth.''

He said the kind of minor gripes and complaints he hears at bases back home rarely come up at the front lines.

"When they're involved in the serious business of the intense operations, the complaints of minuscule things that you might hear back in Canada just disappear.''

Hillier managed to shoehorn a family Christmas into his schedule last Saturday, sitting down with his wife, Joyce, their two sons, a daughter-in-law and grandson Jack.

But he couldn't manage to find time for a shopping trip.

"I have yet to do any shopping for my wife, unfortunately,'' he said with a wry chuckle. "I had to beg forgiveness based on future recompense.''

Rock on, Sir.  :salute:

Gen. Hillier is, in my eye, the very definition of leadership.

The right guy at the right time.......Merry Christmas  :)

Damn, he really shows dedication.
+1 to what Brihard said: Rock on.

I don't feel qualifie, as a civy, to judge the general.
But I like what I'm reading about him  :D .

Yup he was here on the HMCS Ottawa . spent the evening and morning fly out in the afternoon . him and a few others  rick mecier [sp] mary walsh . etc  all had a few words now off and runnung . makes me feel less forgotten since all the news is on my old trade the infantry  . 

When you have a soldier who puts his men and women first before political will, then you have a damn fine CDS.

Amen to that, Guns... It's great to have a CDS wo so obviously cares about his people........

I stick by my stance... Hillier should become  Prime Minister when he's done with CDS   ;D

Being from "The Rock" I find no fault in that suggestion ;)

GUNS said:
When you have a soldier who puts his men and women first before political will, then you have a damn fine CDS.

A very FINE officer, period. It always mean a hell of a lot to the morale of troops in the field when someone like the CDS shows up for Xmas dinner.
And he didn't find time to go shopping for his 9er.  He'll be in shyte for that one!  ;)  Hopefully she gets to go along and boost the morale for the troops.  Family is always #1.

Uncle Rick is the best CDS we've had in a long time.  The last one wouldn't go see the troops, maybe it's an Air Force thing or the type of person. 
Gen, Rick Hillier for PM 

1 vote

He never ceases to amaze me with his dedication towards his job and towards the troops under him.  :salute:

One "hell of a good man"...  our General Hillier ..keep up the good work..!

BYT Driver said:
It always mean a hell of a lot to the morale of troops in the field when someone like the CDS shows up for to serve Xmas dinner.

Had to make that change

+1 to the CDS for spending Christmas with the troops  :cdn:  :cheers:

Gen Hiller sure know how to run things. Each day I remind myself of his message below this.

;D

I couldn't agree more... Hillier for PM!
Joyce has a great sense of humour.  Without her he wouldn't be able to continue to do the great job he does.  Well done.

Anyone who gives this much for the men under their command is A+ officer material. And Hillier is one of the best officers the CF has had in years if not decades.
Now, the word must be spread.. Hillier for PM.

I met General Hillier a few weeks ago while The National was being taped at CFB Petawawa. I went up and met him, he asked what my husband does and who he was with and stated he would be spending time over Christmas with Charles Company and would go and meet him. Then he told me to give him a kiss on the cheek and he would make sure my husband got it. I told my husband, he thought I was being crazy. Well yesterday he calls me, tells me while they were standing in formation waiting to shake Hillier's hand, when he got to him stated he had been looking for him then told him to look at the camera and gave him the kiss on the cheek for me!!! Well I almost killed myself laughing, apparently he turned 8 shades of red and someone got it all on film too! I can't wait to see the photos. I am so impressed with Hillier, as he remembered my husbands name as well as mine. Definitely a great role model for all soldiers and a good guy in general.

we need more leaders like him, "The General"
Ilike the pictures of him getting off the plane in the uniform and packing his sidearm. that is leadership not expecting his bodyguards to do it all

Back