• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CDN. Leo markings

Genetk44

Inactive
Reaction score
Just found this decal set for those looking to make a model of our Leos in Afghanistan

http://pachome1.pacific.net.sg/%7Ekriegsketten/D356006.htm

Interesting, anyone have some history on the tank names ?  :)

I've always wondered what those upside down "V"'s on a tank mean. Can anybody tell me?

Pencil Tech said:
I've always wondered what those upside down "V"'s on a tank mean. Can anybody tell me?

It's a NATO thing, I think. Not sure what does it stand for.

It means "This Side Up".  Either that or "This Way to the Boiling Vessel".

The inverted "V" was first used in Gulf War I.  Much as the planes for OVERLORD had white stripes on their wings, it's for IFF, as far as I can tell.  So, not just NATO.

Command,
thank for the reply. I figured the 'B' names were for B squadron. Being somewhat familiar of the naming of tanks from articles, books etc on our Second World War Regiments(Hint read Old Sweat's book, it boosts publishing sales). I know one the children/students that I try to educate will "Hey Mr H., What's with the funky names on the tanks". So I was just wondering about any particular significance to those names in Afghanistan.

To the Good Captain:
There are a couple of site I have looked that additionally advise the the 'V's also indicate which regiment. Suffice none of the sites so far have any source/ citing information. So it is on my if I trip across it list.

Captain Sensible said:
The inverted "V" was first used in Gulf War I.  Much as the planes for OVERLORD had white stripes on their wings, it's for IFF, as far as I can tell.  So, not just NATO.

Borrowed from the IDF where the direction of the Chevron indicated which sub unit the tank belonged to (such as A,B,C squadron)

And now an up -armour set is available for the new Leopard 2A6's.

BTW, any Armoured experts know if we are calling them Leopard C3?

If there's any LdSH(RC) going over on Roto 5 who wouldn't mind giving me a chance to crawl around one the new tanks, I'll get you a doubledouble at KAF!

Time to break out the soldering iron!
Leo2A6withslat.jpg

Back