• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CBC attempts more anti military spin

a_majoor

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
Considering the CBC receives almost one billion tax dollars from Canadians, they should be able to afford some fact checkers and, you know, report the news rather than write anti military and government propaganda:

http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/

It's never as simple as a 3:31 piece on The National

Brian Stewart did a piece a few nights ago on accountability for "night raids" in Afghanistan by Canadian and allied special forces, and I've been meaning to write something about it ever since.

Stewart and Mansbridge ask a lot of questions, but don't provide many good answers. But that certainly doesn't stop them from making insinuations and giving inaccurate impressions to their viewers.

For starters, look at Mansbridge's introduction to the segment:

Canadians are told their soldiers are rebuilding Afghanistan, fighting to defend the lives of the Afghan people. But elite Canadian soldiers are also carrying out secret military raids, raids which have resulted in the deaths of Afghan civilians. The United Nations is demanding answers. But the Canadian military is neither talking nor offering any accountability...

There's so much spin packed into so few words, it's going to take some effort to unpack it. Stay with me, here.

First off, Canadian soldiers are rebuilding Afghanistan, and they are defending the lives of ordinary Afghans. Yet the CBC questions it, by prefacing their statement with "Canadians are told..."

They then attempt to juxtapose those facts against the reality of targeted raids, highlighting the idea of civilian deaths. What's missed in those two sentences is that, in killing or capturing key insurgents in those "night raids," the CF is actually rebuilding Afghanistan by systematically removing those who would destabilize and regress it and protecting Afghans by removing those who would subjugate and terrorize them.

Remember, the insurgents kill more Afghans than any other group operating in the country:

Tallying records from nongovernmental organizations and the media, Human Rights Watch counted 189 bombings in 2006 that killed 492 civilians. An additional 177 civilians were killed in other attacks including ambushes and executions.

"The insurgents are increasingly committing war crimes, often by directly targeting civilians," said Joanne Mariner, terrorism and counterterrorism director at the rights group, which is based in New York.

Even when targeting security forces, "they generally kill many, many more civilians than they do military personnel," she added.

It's also worth remembering that the CBC has also highlighted the obvious drawbacks to the main alternative to night raids, airstrikes:

The insurgents used civilian houses for cover, and in doing so, put villagers at risk, said ISAF spokesman Lt.-Col. Mike Smith.

The dead included nine women and three children, according to the provincial police chief, Mohammad Hussein Andiwal.

"A compound was assessed to have been occupied by up to 30 insurgent fighters, most of whom were killed in the engagement," a NATO statement said.

"We are concerned about reports that some civilians may have lost their lives during this attack," Smith said.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai criticized the mounting civilian toll from NATO and U.S.-led military operations as "difficult for us to accept or understand."

So if Canadian soldiers come in with overwhelming force - artillery or airstrikes - they're criticized for being too indiscriminate in their attacks. But when they send in special forces, which greatly increase the chances of hitting a specific insurgent target surgically, they're criticized for a lack of accountability.

Seems to me like they're 'damned if they do, damned if they don't' by Stewart and his newsroom cronies.

Back to Mansbridge's introduction, though, and specifically to his statement that the U.N. is demanding answers. It would be more useful to specify that the Special Rapporteur to the U.N. Human Rights Council, professor and lawyer Philip Alston, is demanding answers. The U.N. Security Council obviously has enough answers to support the U.N. mandate for the mission.

And finally, to the assertion that the CF isn't talking or offering any accountability, I can only say 'yes' to the first point and 'accountability to whom?' to the second. I wish the CF was given more free rein to address their own press demands, but unfortunately the government has decided to clamp down on the CF's ability to respond to even the most innocuous of requests, let alone those of this sensitivity. So yes, the CF isn't talking.

But the idea that the CF isn't accountable is not only ridiculous, it's flat out wrong.

The Canadian military is the most accountable organization in the Canadian government, and perhaps in the entire country. Every single person serving in uniform knows who they report to, and who reports to them. Although some responsibilities and missions are more clearly defined than others, CF personnel are far more likely to seek out a clear mandate from their superiors than just about anyone else I know, right down to the private carrying a rifle.

Just ask a soldier about the concept of 'arcs of fire' and what that means in terms of personal accountability.

Ask Rick Hillier or Walt Natynczuk who is accountable for the actions of any soldier, sailor, or airman in the CF, and if you give them a few minutes on the phone, they'll be able to tell you: "Pte Bloggins reports to MCpl Smith, who reports to WO Jones, who reports to Capt Black, who reports to LCol White, who reports to...who reports to me." Ask the Minister of National Defence or the Prime Minister whether or not the CF is accountable, and to whom.

No, what CBC is complaining about is that the CF isn't accountable to the press. Boo-frickin'-hoo.

And folks, that's just the first twenty-five seconds of the the clip.

Stewart takes over with even more incomplete information, implication and insinuation, and spin. I use the term 'spin' advisedly here, because I can't think of how a paid journalist with decades in his craft could put something so lop-sided together and present it on air if he wasn't deliberately trying to guide his viewers to a predetermined conclusion.

The best example of this in the piece comes at the 2:14 mark. Stewart shows a copy of Alston's report, and says that Alston "complains that 200 civilians have been killed in operations this year by NATO forces, some in raids."

Too true. Here's the report where the complaint is made (Word file).

But here's what Stewart doesn't tell you, on pages 5 and 6 of the document:

Taliban and other anti-Government elements

27. Over the past four months, the Taliban and other anti-government elements have killed approximately 300 civilians. Roughly three quarters of these civilians were killed in suicide attacks. While the majority of suicide attacks appear to target legitimate military objectives, many of these attacks are nonetheless unlawful because it should be obvious that they will result in far more civilian than military deaths.

28. Most of the other civilians killed by the Taliban die as a result of targeted assassinations. While these killings are fewer in number, they are significant in terms of intimidating and repressing the population. Often, killing one teacher will close an entire area’s schools, killing one proponent of the Government will intimidate many others, and killing one worker will end humanitarian access to a district. These assassinations are completely unlawful, and their consequences are dramatic. The Taliban have also engaged in a high level of unlawful killing of non-civilians. [Babbler's emphasis]

But hey, if Stewart says it's all about JTF 2 and international military forces, it must be true, right?

As I read the report, Alston saves his fiercest condemnation for the Taliban and those who kill women. In his own words:

I saw no evidence of widespread intentional killings in violation of human rights or humanitarian law by international military forces.

Stewart also gets himself into trouble speaking with Mansbridge at the end of the story:

M: Well, who controls Canada's JTF 2?

S: Well, Canada, of course, overwhelmingly does control it. The problem is it's a very unclear line of command all the time. It serves with the Americans in Operation Enduring Freedom, and it goes on special operations but it also has told parliament, insisted to parliament it does OK every mission with the senior Canadian officer in Afghanistan. And that's about all it's prepared to tell parliament right now.

M: Who are they accountable to?

S: Really, the Canadian government. But as again, it goes around working through the Americans, working with various international groups, so by the time the reports get to the Canadian government, it could be some time, it could be rather unclear.

If Stewart knew more about the military, he'd know that the line of command is crystal clear to those in the chain of command - it has to be. When he says it's "very unclear," what he's really saying is that it's unclear to him. And that makes him uncomfortable, since journalists are supposed to have clear access to everything. Just ask them, they'll tell you.

Again, boo-frickin'-hoo, Brian.

The truth is that JTF 2 is fully accountable to the CF chain of command, and the civilian government. The truth is that there is no easy way to fight a counterinsurgency war. And the truth is that the CF, including its special operators, is doing a commendable job of it, despite the difficulty of the task.

And, I might add, despite the misguided attentions of Brian Stewart and the CBC.

This seems to be Brian Stewart's MO - if you can't prove it, or can't get someone to give you the clip you want, SUGGEST it in the voice over (sometimes with ominous music).

Check out how he handled covering Canada's (obviously subversive and sinister  ::)) participation in the SAT team advising the Kabul government last year:
http://milnewstbay.pbwiki.com/f/CBC-SAT-08-Mar-07.html

"Brian Stewart: That “game” is the inside maneuvering for position in a city where two dozen major donors nations want influence and want intelligence. But Canada’s softly-softly approach fools few diplomatic or political circles for your Canada is much seen as an influential player. At $120 million a year, it’s the third largest donor nation.

"Some in Parliament – itself partially designed and equipped by Canada – even question if Canadians have gathered too much influence in top offices of government. It is well-known in Kabul that Canada remains one of the most trusted international backers at President Hamid Karzai’s regime. Moreover, it’s widely believed that Canada’s top general, Rick Hillier, has had unique influence with Karzai for years and that Hillier, even now as chief of the Defense Staff, keeps remarkably close tabs on the Kabul government."

(NOTE:  Anybody willing to say this to camera?  Is this a lot of parliamentarians, or just one?)

(....)

"But the access these 15 Canadians have is resented by some in the diplomatic and military community who wonder how Canadians have the most sensitive insights denied even the British and US embassies. How do you avoid being seen as power brokers behind the scenes or political influence gatherers?"

(NOTE:  Anybody willing to say this to camera?)

(....)

"But some circles in foreign affairs, Ottawa and CETA have also been uncomfortable of the so-called Hillier day, particularly as SAT is a military structure which reports directly through the military command to General Hillier himself. Foreign affairs and CETA are only consulted on occasion, when the military sees fit."

(....)

"In recent months, NATO has appeared anxious to somewhat limit Canada’s insider role."

You be the judge...

Just watched the vidoe. The one issue I have with all hi induendo and speculation is the comments at the end of the piece about accountabliltiy. They do not mention that who is really accountable(just speculate ome more) and to whom these night missions have to be approved by before they are undertaken.

If you think about about it for a minute...If the CF must follow Canadian laws even when in a foriegn land, would you not think that before theses "night raids" take place there has to be some sort of evidence presented and a "search warrant/arrest warrant" granted before the JTF2 guys go blow up someone's door and go in and FiSH.

Or do they just think JTF2 is a bunch of cowboys who takeoff in the middle of the night and hit whatever compound they want to?

There was another Brian Stewart report on the National last night (30th June 2008). In this one he talks of the “Kandaher Fiasco” and about the “deadly new alliance” between al Qaeda and the Taliban. It starts at the 27:55 point on their latestbroacdcast. 

http://www.cbc.ca/national/latestbroadcast.html

;D

And people get tired of me calling these types of 'reporters' members of the Fifth Column.  I wonder if Brian Stewart is clear as to whom he is accountable to?  What is his "Chain of Command" and who is he ultimately responsible to for his comments?  Do his 'responisibilities' go both 'Up the Chain', and 'Down'? 

>:D

good point George

Everyone should remember that the CBC, a Canadian Crown Corporation being financed by your (and mine) tax dollars.

methinks the CBC should be held accountable the same way Mr Stewart & Mansbridge are asking that the CF be made accountable (we ARE).  methinks it's time this fella should be "foisted by his own petard"

If BS (what an appropriate set of initials) is accountable to us, lets lets stop bitching about him here and start emailing his boss...

Anyone got that CBC email address?

sof-t said:
If BS (what an appropriate set of initials) is accountable to us, lets lets stop bitching about him here and start emailing his boss...

Anyone got that CBC email address?

A few ways to send feedback:

1)  Post a comment to the piece itself:
http://www.cbc.ca/national/blog/video/militaryafghanistan/war_in_the_shadows.html

2)  Share your feelings (send a video or send a comment) to "The National":
http://www.cbc.ca/national/yourturn.html

3)  Use the CBC's general web-based form:
http://www.cbc.ca/contact/

4)  Contact the CBC Ombudsman:
http://www.cbc.ca/ombudsman/page/contact.html

Don't forget to refer back to CBC's "Journalistic Standards and Practices":
http://cbc.radio-canada.ca/accountability/journalistic/index.shtml

or the "Media Accountability" page:
http://cbc.radio-canada.ca/accountability/index.shtml

for supporting material.

OK here is my two cents with in dealing with this subject .  If a bunch of you folks start Emailing (as stated in one of the above post)    this guys Boss to have him rethink his methods on how he reports on the military .  Than his boss finds out that a majority of you guys/gals are in the military how well do you think that will play in the left leaning Media ?    I can see the headlines "Canadian Forces Troops  try to shut up anti military reporter" god the bleeding heart lefties will have a field day.  Basically Emailing to have him adjust how he reports the news would add fuel to the fire .   
                      No the best thing that can happen here is that he either gets an exclusive interview with the question at hand or you ignore him .         

karl28 said:
                    OK here is my two cents with in dealing with this subject .  If a bunch of you folks start Emailing (as stated in one of the above post)    this guys Boss to have him rethink his methods on how he reports on the military .  Than his boss finds out that a majority of you guys/gals are in the military how well do you think that will play in the left leaning Media ?    I can see the headlines "Canadian Forces Troops  try to shut up anti military reporter"    god the bleeding heart lefties will have a field day basically Emailing to have him adjust how he reports the news would add fuel to the fire .   
                      No the best thing that can happen here is that he either gets an exclusive interview with the question at hand or you ignore him .         

Sort of a "Damned if you do;  Damned if you don't" scenario.

Not to worry.  There are enough members of the Press who visit this site, that the sentiments and questions arising from some of those sentiments, are getting out there.  Perhaps not as much as you may want, but still it is a step in the direction you want to go.  Just look at the articles that are being written in various media outlets questioning some of these "anti-military" journalist's motives and MO's.

George Wallace 

I couldn't have said that better and that is a  great way to put it .  Just like allot of people I dislike the left leaning views of anti military in the CBC and other media out lets  but its seems to be a popular way with some of the media these days .               

great topics, i actually saw the piece done on cbc and figured it was just typical journalism.  The point of attack to combat lies and insinuation is not to attack the press but to educate the public.  The press will quickly stop it's sensationalizing of certain topics when the public appetite is no longer there.  Journalists looking for truth are few and far between and there aren't many in major media outlets.  Journalists are into career advancement and the 'making' of news, or creation of news, or whatever they need to do to get ratings..period.  The press is controlled by self-interest, not some truth seeking ideology that would rule them in an ideal world.  To combat our sensationalist media the best tactic is to flood the public with proper reasoning, political and economic truths, and to expose unfounded, baseless arguments.  In the process don't give the dishonest any ammo to use against you.

>:D isn't it great to hide behind the freedoms that we guarantee  . I watched the story while its not lies it never answers the questions that could be easily put to rest. just a step into the next set of questions . Like was said earlier Chain of Command is easy . Me to him and so on up the line with the Chief of Defence  and Prime Minister being at the top.Its BS that the "reporters " cant  dig that answer out . While there are tragic accidents and civilian deaths  the goals are clear cut defeat the AQ/T . There are clearcut shoot no shoot rules given to anyone with a rifle. its sad to say c%%p happens but ask anyone who was with 3 VP about Tarnak farms . The AQ/T are far less judicious about use of force then we are .  Canada will never  act in the manner of "we had to destroy the village in order to save it ".  The AQ/T wrap themselves in the protection of civilian human shields and then get upset when they throw them in the way of the troops that use rules and laws of engagement .Sometimes I'm sure it would be easier to go back to the days of lines being drawn and soldiers advancing towards each other with flags up and drums/ pipes  in full order. ....    sigh .

faceman said:
great topics, i actually saw the piece done on cbc and figured it was just typical journalism.  The point of attack to combat lies and insinuation is not to attack the press but to educate the public.  The press will quickly stop it's sensationalizing of certain topics when the public appetite is no longer there.  Journalists looking for truth are few and far between and there aren't many in major media outlets.  Journalists are into career advancement and the 'making' of news, or creation of news, or whatever they need to do to get ratings..period.  The press is controlled by self-interest, not some truth seeking ideology that would rule them in an ideal world.  To combat our sensationalist media the best tactic is to flood the public with proper reasoning, political and economic truths, and to expose unfounded, baseless arguments.  In the process don't give the dishonest any ammo to use against you.

I suppose you followed through with your theory?

Do you expect the CF to publish a manual?  No one would read it.

Do you want members of the CF to author novels?  Unless they make Oprah's Top Ten, very few will buy them.

It all boils back down to the PRESS.  It is the Press/media who will have to get that message across to the Public, and right now they are definitely NOT doing that.

Maybe it's time somebody started using CBC's ombudsman...

What reporters hate more than anything else is to be called out on their reports (you know...accountability...that thing we supposedly don't have in the CF). Firing grievances out to the ombudsman (and CC'ing competing networks) may be a way of curbing silly reports like the one above.

It would have to be done by someone not in the CF, such as The Legion. While most of them probably won't be heard, you will get the odd victory that will make editors a tab more cautious.

Interesting timing on this one.

Just as Gen. Hillier retires and Gen. Natynczyk takes command.  A shot across the bows of "The American" General?

Hillier was fireproof and could tackle the CBC on their own ground, literally.  I wonder how many CBC types had their knickers in a knot because they couldn't gain any ground on him.

The current CDS has some interesting "baggage" that may be suggesting attractive "targets of opportunity". 

There are many folks out there that really detest the whole concept of a military and that fear a successful army more than they fear an incompetent one.

This may be a conscious effort to suss out the new guy.  I think the ball is in his court as to the appropriate response.

PS.  Apologies if I got the spelling of his name wrong.... and no, I am not worried about his background. 

Kirkhill said:
Interesting timing on this one.

Just as Gen. Hillier retires and Gen. Natynczyk takes command.  A shot across the bows of "The American" General?

Hillier was fireproof and could tackle the CBC on their own ground, literally.  I wonder how many CBC types had their knickers in a knot because they couldn't gain any ground on him.

The current CDS has some interesting "baggage" that may be suggesting attractive "targets of opportunity". 

There are many folks out there that really detest the whole concept of a military and that fear a successful army more than they fear an incompetent one.

This may be a conscious effort to suss out the new guy.  I think the ball is in his court as to the appropriate response.

PS.  Apologies if I got the spelling of his name wrong.... and no, I am not worried about his background. 

Now you are just starting to sound like one of those "Bobbleheads" that the CBC likes to bring in as a "military expert" and comment on Defence matters.  If you think the new CDS has any "Interesting baggage" then I really think you are off base.  He has no more interesting baggage than Gen Hillier, or several other Generals who have all been on exchange to the US and filled Command roles.  This is pure BS, and the type of crap that the NDP, and other Lefties fantasize about. 

The new CDS is not Hillier, but he is going to show himself to be just as great a man.  Anyone who knows General Natyncyk will respond the same as I.  He it the man we need to replace General Hillier.  He will do us just as proud as Gen Hillier did.

sorry i failed to see where i said that everyone in the cf should be responsible for writing novels....it's PR's responsibility to deal with the general public, and the 'left-leaning' press in Canada will at no time soon change, but good luck in trying all the same.  Perhaps we could get Conrad Black to help us from his Florida prison with publishing more military friendly perspectives ;)
faceman 

George Wallace said:
Now you are just starting to sound like one of those "Bobbleheads" that the CBC likes to bring in as a "military expert" and comment on Defence matters.  If you think the new CDS has any "Interesting baggage" then I really think you are off base.  He has no more interesting baggage than Gen Hillier, or several other Generals who have all been on exchange to the US and filled Command roles.  This is pure BS, and the type of crap that the NDP, and other Lefties fantasize about. 

The new CDS is not Hillier, but he is going to show himself to be just as great a man.  Anyone who knows General Natyncyk will respond the same as I.  He it the man we need to replace General Hillier.  He will do us just as proud as Gen Hillier did.

Ouch George. That hurt.

I knew somebody was going to take me up wrong here.

I know that his career path is within the norms.  I know that he has, from all accounts, performed in an exemplary fashion.  I have no reason to pick bones here.

My point, apparently obscured, is that there has already been a trail of innuendo laid before Gen Natynczyk by the media - a trail that emphasizes his service with the Americans, his service in Iraq, his stated appreciation for some of the things the Americans do.  Those "facts" do indeed feed the "bobbleheads" and the NDP.   The expression of Pro-American sentiments on its own is enough to make some people start bobbling.

What I am saying is that Gen Hillier is an extraordinary individual whose personality created a following and a public persona that was bullet proof.  He managed to say things that very few in the past have got away with and managed to keep their jobs. 

To say that Gen Natynczyk is not Gen Hillier is not meant to disparage the man.  It is just to point out the obvious.

I don't have any reason to doubt the Gen Natynczyk will do a great job.

I am suggesting that some in the media, having been singularly unsuccessful in tarring Hillier with the brush of "His War" that they might be wanting to take a run at the new guy.  And, as you well know, the spinning of facts is part of their game.

Cheers.

Edit:(That is all) I just found this glyph at the bottom of the page and realised it might have imparted a tone note intended.  I hate working with those ruddy glide pads on laptops. 

Back