• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Caution urged on recruits

observor 69

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.thestar.com/printArticle/215706

Increasing number of those interested in joining Canadian Forces show `socio-dysfunctional' profile, report warns

May 19, 2007
Allan Woods
Ottawa Bureau

OTTAWA–An increasing number of would-be recruits to the Canadian military are prone to displaying traits of social disobedience, intolerance toward ethnic groups and being fatalistic, a new report says.

The report cautions that such recruits could put the Canadian Forces' positive public image at serious risk.

The analysis, delivered to the Department of National Defence in March, warns of the "increasingly socio-dysfunctional profile of military aspirants." It goes on to suggest the military's reputation could be "easily shattered by the actions of a few or even just one Canadian Abu Ghraib" – a reference to the abuse of Iraqi detainees by U.S. military.

The report raises the spectre of the Canadian military scandal in Somalia, in which the Canadian Forces covered up the 1993 murder of a young Somali prisoner for several weeks. The incident led to criminal charges, a public inquiry and a decade of soul-searching for the military.

A profile drawn up in the study shows that today's average potential military recruit is "proud and intense," a "crude hedonist" and drawn to transgressive behaviour – or breaking the rules. Potential recruits are also driven by the need for social status and "to belong," and feel a lack of confidence in the future.

Male candidates are "macho," while women have "a strong masculine side."

The potential recruits tend to show an affinity for social Darwinism, characterized by the view that only the strongest members of society will survive. Violence and sex are also prominent interests associated with potential soldiers, according to the study, by Montreal-based polling firm CROP Inc.

This contrasts, the study says, with those already enrolled in the army, who have upstanding qualities, including a commitment to duty and ethical concerns. They also seek enriching experiences and have a capacity to deal with uncertainty.

But negative traits, like ethnic intolerance and fatalism, are also present in some current military personnel and the report warns specifically about the need to maintain exacting recruiting requirements to weed out those who could cause trouble on the battlefield.

"The Canadian Forces' involvement in Afghanistan carries the risk of increasing internal pressure for the need to secure new recruits," says the report. "Given the increasingly socio-dysfunctional profile of military aspirants, the exacting recruiting requirements and rigorous in-house training must not be relaxed."

In the wake of the Somalia mission, the military bolstered its recruiting process to screen out social misfits, such as those soldiers in the now-disbanded Canadian Airborne Regiment who were implicated in the murder of the young Somali.

Since 2006, the Conservative government has promised major increases to the ranks of the regular forces and the reserves, and DND officials have been easily meeting their recruiting targets thanks to the high-profile mission in Afghanistan.

The DND report was produced for the federal government before the controversy over allegations that Afghan police had abused dozens of Afghans who had been detained by Canadian soldiers and then handed over to local authorities. Canadian authorities are also probing suggestions that some Afghan detainees have been roughed up in Canadian custody.

Col. Steve Noonan, who was the commander of the Canadian Forces in Afghanistan from August 2005 to March 2006, warned of the risk of abuse by Canadian soldiers if they were to have greater responsibility for Afghan detainees.

"Without experience in it, the execution of that may go wrong as has been evidenced in my understanding of ... the Abu Ghraib situation," he said in a sworn affidavit this month for a court case.

The new report says the standing of the Canadian Forces has clearly risen since the Somalia scandal, thanks to a general alignment between military values and Canadian values.

It found that Canadians are becoming more deferential to authority and more receptive to the need for strong homeland security, law and order and national pride.

"Combined with the communication strategy geared toward fighting the threats of today's world, all ingredients seem to be there to boost Canadians' benevolence toward the Forces."

That's the inherent risk any organization takes when the necessity for greater numbers exists as is the case with our military.  It's something the Americans have experienced for decades, and isn't exactly something new in the Canadian forces.  When hiring standards are reduced, you do open yourself up to the perhaps not-as-desired as others.  Frankly, I don't see it as a major issue YET.  Not to say it might not become a bigger issue in the future.  But this is nothing new- I'm certain there were social misfits in the 1930s and 40s during World War 2, and in the 50s during Korea and so forth.  It's just making news because we're in a war, I'm sure.

Baden  Guy said:
http://www.thestar.com/printArticle/215706

Increasing number of those interested in joining Canadian Forces show `socio-dysfunctional' profile, report warns

May 19, 2007
Allan Woods
Ottawa Bureau

A profile drawn up in the study shows that today's average potential military recruit is "proud and intense," a "crude hedonist" and drawn to transgressive behaviour – or breaking the rules. Potential recruits are also driven by the need for social status and "to belong," and feel a lack of confidence in the future.

The potential recruits tend to show an affinity for social Darwinism, characterized by the view that only the strongest members of society will survive. Violence and sex are also prominent interests associated with potential soldiers, according to the study, by Montreal-based polling firm CROP Inc.

Yup, all the things the judge and my my probation officer said were a lot of my problems.  Nothing like a good wack of disipline to sort those things out or at least learn the fortitute to keep the demons tucked away forever.

I personally thank everyone I met along my voyage who made me what I am today, a law abiding contributing member of society. It would not have happened had I not joined up and learned all the valuble lessons that I did , and to those who wasted good time and money on this report...........................phhfffft.

PS.
Well about that "sex" thing...hmmm. ;)

An increasing number of would-be recruits to the Canadian military are prone to displaying traits of social disobedience, intolerance toward ethnic groups and being fatalistic, a new report says

This contrasts, the study says, with those already enrolled in the army, who have upstanding qualities, including a commitment to duty and ethical concerns. They also seek enriching experiences and have a capacity to deal with uncertainty.

Dunno about everyone else but, for the most part, this reflects pert much every recruit class that has come before..........
The herd will be culled, the young will learn from the old(er) and over time, those that are left will reflect our values - cause they will be us.

I hear ya Bruce, when I was a Tpr, one of the best Sgt's that I had was given the same type of choice, go to jail or join the Army. Still one hell of a guy as a retired SSM!

There was a study done a few years ago (got it around here someplace.... what's it called ..... crap, can't find it right now, another CROP survey) that said exactly the same things.

The msm were all over it for a few weeks until something more newsworthy came along. "Look, psycho people that really like violence are trying to get in the army............ But they tend not to make it through basic training .............. and those that do appear to have experienced a shift in their mode of thinking."

The same thing will happen this time.

Wook

Sociopaths in the military? No freaking way........ *cough cough*

wow...glad to see we had to spend money on a 'study' to determine this....

Draw any conclusion you like.  However if you are thinking that I was insinuating that the military is full of sociopaths, don't get your panties in a twist. It's not what I meant. :p

Recruiting standards haven't dropped, they've raised. When I joined you only needed Grade 8, It's now 10. I'm not going to get into fitness, that in my belief is a societal problem. Get outside a little more kids.

I AM NOT A SOCIOPATH!

I'm a soldier, dammit.  Now gimme my gun... I'm going to work.

::) Geez I love studies  ::)

I think they should include some form of psychological testing in order to get into the military.  They do it for police forces, why not the military?

The reason they don't do it is because they would not be able to even come close to their recruiting targets if psychological testing was implemented.

tanner,

The troops are screened over time.  Psycho problems are weaned out.

Remember Kimver Gill?  He was a recruit.... but everyone came to an agreement that he & the military weren't cut out for one another.

As long as we don't have any future Timothy McVeigh's joining I'm happy. So far in my short career I've met very few people who I would consider psychotic. I personally find that the people who talk the most about killing are the ones who have are simply trying to make themselves out to be 'tough'.

I think they should include some form of psychological testing in order to get into the military.  They do it for police forces, why not the military?

I don't imagine it'll happen, it would probably cost too much money and it would take much longer for an applicant to get through the whole process. However they should ensure that any applicant that comes through spends more than ten minutes in an interview to determine whether or not they are suitable for the job.

I've met people in the military who have been through corrections, and for the most part they tend to be very mature and are of good character. However at the same token I've met some who were completely asinine, it all depends on the individual.

The report does make some good points about being cautious while hiring new recruits. We wouldn't want our image being damaged at home and abroad due to the actions of some who got in due to lax recruitment practices in order to meet a target. I don't imagine anyone in the CF would want to see a repeat of Somalia.

you know we keep adding the things we want our recruits to be and we'll be recruiting nuclear physicists as riflemen, what we really need is a recruiting system that understands we're at war, sometime before everyones permanent address is 123 Kabul Airfield or Kandahar would be nice

you know we keep adding the things we want our recruits to be and we'll be recruiting nuclear physicists as riflemen, what we really need is a recruiting system that understands we're at war, sometime before everyones permanent address is 123 Kabul Airfield or Kandahar would be nice

Agreed, however putting people in a wartime situation who may not be psychologically fit isn't the best idea. Once again one only has to look at problems in prior conflicts [including developed nations] to see the negative impacts that can happen if we have lax recruiting standards.

We haven't gotten to the bottom of the trough yet, so i think the worries about seedy characters at the moment is a bit premature. Our recruiters I think have enough experience to weed out the phycotics and pilfers who watched to many Rambo movies and think joining the military gives them a license to kill people.

Besides as someone already mentioned, the hell bent for leather Rambo types usually don't pass basic, due to their individualistic and self destructive personalities.

Back