• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cash job on application?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkham

Inactive
Reaction score
OK, heres my situation. I have been out of school since 2000. I have been working mostly retail jobs until last year when I took a cash job promoting for night clubs three nights a week. Would putting this on my application be a bad idea?

I don't see it as a problem. You don't put your method of payment beside any other job you're going to list.

Just my 2 cents

Well no, but it's also not going to show up on any kind of checks they might do regarding my taxes or whatever it is they do. The alternative is to what, say I've been hanging out at home, unemployed for a year? Not sure what would be best in this situation.
I am currently looking for a new job. Something on the books. I wont be applying for at least 6 months as I am recovering from a knee injury.

Would going in as being unemployed for a year be worse?

Not being truthful would be worse.

One should presume that one's references will be checked, and that at least one of them will be asked what you have been doing for the last few years.

Any discrepancies that show up, even slight ones, are likely to attract attention and further investigation.

Applicants are not expected to be perfect, and most past mistakes can be overlooked. False statements during enrollment will not be.

You will be signing that "all information provided is true" or words to that effect more than once. Lying on such things is never a good idea, and will almost certainly come back to bite one eventually.

It would probably be best if you were to make sure that your tax situation was hashed out. I presume, of course*, that you have been tracking your income, and accurately reporting it to the Canadian Revenue Agency, and paying whatever taxes are due? If not, well then you've been defrauding the federal (And provincial) government for the past year, so I would suggest you clear the slate before you apply for a position with them.

* I don't actually presume that, I presume that you've been doing what most people who work for cash jobs do, and either haven't been reporting your income at all, or drastically under reporting. This is backed up by your statement that this job wouldn't "show up on any kind of checks they might do regarding my taxes..."

In any case, they're going to find out what you've been doing during the background check, and if you have in fact not been paying your taxes, I have a feeling that CRA would likely be alerted to this little issue.

gcclarke said:
In any case, they're going to find out what you've been doing during the background check, and if you have in fact not been paying your taxes, I have a feeling that CRA would likely be alerted to this little issue.

You know nothing of the sort. Stay in your lanes.

Milnet.ca Staff

Alright, well now I am more confused, what should I do?
When I took the job I wasn't thinking about defrauding the government or whatever, it was just a job. I didn't think much of it until it came time to fill out the application. Now I'm worried this could keep me out all together.

What if I did just leave it off, then what. I'd have to tell the recruiting I haven't been working for the past year. How will this effect my chances? I do have close to 9 years of full time employment prior...

Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

Put it on your application. It's a security check, you'll want to be completely honest.

First off, do not lie on the application. For one thing, it's likely that they'll find out, either now, or when you go to apply for a higher security clearance later down the road. This would be a bad thing. Lying about your past on the application form is both liable to come back and bite you down the road, as well as being rather unethical.

Having worked for cash isn't likely to keep you out of the CF. Your original post was asking about them having trouble verifying the information, without records having been kept. Verification can be done by providing references who worked with you.

Not paying taxes on income earned, on the other hand, may very well keep you out of the CF, if it is discovered during the application process. I apologise if I have completely misconstrued your statements, and you have in fact already declared all this income on your tax returns. recceguy was right to point out that I do not know how deeply the RCMP delves into matters such as your tax records when conducting these checks, nor do I know that they would alert CRA should they discover evidence of tax evasion. We don't really know if the results of you undergoing a background check would be a tax audit.

But, I still think you should come clean to CRA, declare your previously undeclared income, and pay the requisite taxes upon it. Not merely to cover your own behind, but because it is the right thing to do, both legally, and morally.

Well my concern is with not having declared the earnings. Again, fraud was never my intent. I guess it was just carelessness on my part. I will look into how I could clear this up with the CRA. Any idea how will this then affect my employer and his business?

Any further advice is welcome. Thank you to those who have posted thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back