• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Careers in the Infantry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smity199

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey I tried doing a search on this site and online but couldnt really find what Im looking for, what i want to know is: once you complete BMQ and SQ and you are stationed to a battalion what are the different specialty jobs available? I know about Sniper and pathfinder but other than that what are the options??

Before you do can do sniper and pathfinder you will be in a rifle company.

In a rifle coy some of the jobs you may be employed as are:
-Rifleman, everyones basic job
-LAV Driver
-LAV Gunner
-Platoon Signaler (operates the radios)
-Machine Gunner
-60mm Mortar man
-84mm Gunner

This is not an exhaustive list just some examples.

Pathfinder is currently not being run, due to people not being able to pass it.

Before you can apply for sniper you need to be qualified recce.

Depending on which battalion you go to, your course oportunities will vary. Those joining a 3rd Bn are more likely to start off with a driver wheel course and then move on to para or recce.

Those going to a 1st or 2nd, well, I hope you like sitting in either a LAV drivers compartment, or gunners turret.

Smitty, once you complete BMQ and if you "manage to complete" the 17 weeks of DP1 Infantry Training(there is no more SQ) THEN you are posted to your Battalion. Once you get there you will be meritted based on your performances in battalion over the course of anywhere from 1-2 years (sometimes sooner, sometimes longer) before you are given opportunities to be Chuck Norris. You don't decide to become a sniper or recce god, they chose you. The list that dangerboy provided as he said is just a select few of the standard positions available. There are quite a few more positions to be held in your Company and Platoon which you will most likely be employed first before being asked to move onto the Socom 3 training. 

Sonnyjim said:
Once you get there you will be meritted based on your performances in battalion over the course of anywhere from 1-2 years (sometimes sooner, sometimes longer) before you are given opportunities to be Chuck Norris.

Not true. Ive seen people show up to Bn and be placed on either jump or Recce courses within the first 6 months of being here. Now that numbers are low, merit has very little to do with course selection.

As long as you show interest, and arent up on drug or DUI charges, and are in decent shape, you can find yourself very quickly employed in a combat supprort or para role. This is of course more directed towards the light infantry aspect of things.

thanks for the info, this might sound dumb but whats a recce?
and I wasnt so much asking how long it may take or how hard it will be etc. I am wondering what the different choices are.. what does a pathfinder do? and so on

Smity try a search on the forum or even google for Recce Patrolman and Patrol Pathfinder.

Also you don't always get the choice, some guys are just told your now on the LAV Driver or Gunner course, Recce Course, etc

Smitty, Basrah pretty much hit the nail on the head with his correction. I may have worded it wrong, but like I said it could be less than a year. Other positions may include C6 Gunner, Mortar, C9 Gunner, M203 Grenadier, Comms, Intelligence, and honestly the list goes on plus some. Recce means Recconaisance, going out to positions before the rest of the main body to recce out enemy positions, enemy routes etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back