• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Career progression for helicopter pilots

Flyguy

Inactive
Reaction score
I’m looking to get clarification on career progression for Helicopter pilots in the CF. From what I understand after BFT, if you are placed into the rotary wing category you train on a Jet Ranger.  After the training phase, how is it decided what aircraft you will fly i.e. Cormorant, Griffon or Cyclone. And  if you are selected initially for the Griffon can you progress to larger aircraft such as the Cormorant or Cyclone throughout your career?
Thanks for the help.

My little finger is telling me that there will be a huge demand for gryffon pilots in a not so distant future. Oh and they will be green painted one!  ;D

Q :Whats the difference between a pilot in 1 Wing and a flight engineer in 1 Wing ?

A : The flight engineer eventualy gets to leave 1 Wing

CDN Aviator said:
Q :Whats the difference between a pilot in 1 Wing and a flight engineer in 1 Wing ?

A : The flight engineer eventualy gets to leave 1 Wing

But why would they want to?

Loachman said:
But why would they want to?

Probably because they (a) are ready to fly real planes, and (b) their back is shot.

Flyguy said:
I’m looking to get clarification on career progression for Helicopter pilots in the CF. From what I understand after BFT, if you are placed into the rotary wing category you train on a Jet Ranger.  After the training phase, how is it decided what aircraft you will fly i.e. Cormorant, Griffon or Cyclone. And  if you are selected initially for the Griffon can you progress to larger aircraft such as the Cormorant or Cyclone throughout your career?
Thanks for the help.

After successful completion of BFT helo pilots go to 3CFFTS in Portage La Prairie to complete BHS. There they will get approximately 25 hours on Bell 206s followed by approximately 80 hours of 412CF time. Also they will get approximately 30-40 hours of sim time in 412 CF Cat D trainer and FTDs. At BHS (Acronym Alert) the SPs will become familiar with CRM, FMS management, and NVGs. Upon achieving wings standard they go to the various communities, (Tac Hel [146, and Chinnoks], Sar, and MH). Once in these communities you write your own PER. That is to say, you are the captain of your boat.

Hope this helps.

Flyguy said:
Thanks for the help.

The decision as to who goes to what aircraft is decided pretty much the same way as Moose Jaw.  There are only so many spots on various aircraft and it's almost a given that the top student will get their first pick.  Of course, the courses at BHS are much smaller and the students tend to work out what they want based on what's available on their own.  At least, that's how it worked on our course.

As for switching airframes, it happens, but not often.  Same as the multi-engine types.  Of course, with the Chinook coming online, those in the TacHel world who want to go are pretty much getting that choice.  Not sure about pipes going to the aircraft, but I don't see why not.  After what happened in the first couple of years with the Cormorant (no pipes) seems that all the new airframes are getting pipes.  New blood is always good.

Zoomie said:
Probably because they (a) are ready to fly real planes, and (b) their back is shot.

Confirmed, have worked for/with many guys falling under para (b).  Not easy life in TacHel. 

Back