• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Career Manager

TN2IC

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Career Manager, what do they do?
Do they course load you?
What benefits do we have with them?
What is the chance of getting loaded onto a language course? I am aiming on going to 5 SVC BN.

I am a PRes so I don't have one just yet.

The Career Managers administer the files and the huge mass of data on Regular Force members required to be tracked for all career related purposes.  It is often said "you are you own best CM", but that's in the sense that if you don't keep your own chain of command informed on circumstances affecting your career, then it's in good measure your own fault when you miss opportunities which otherwise might have been yours.  Your main point of contact to the career management system is your CO/RSM.  Beyond ensuring that unit PERs are complete and submitted to Ottawa (the CMs get them), your CO/RSM are also the ones who provide recommendations for other career opportunities that aren't driven primarily by the Merit List.  The CMs provide a singular point of contact for such matters, and ensure that everything is in order for promotion boards. They also and keep track of all the less well-known training, education and posting opportunities that each CO/RSM is far too busy to keep track of just in case they have a likely candidate.

Is the CM responsible for the course of your career - NO

Do we get our money's worth from them - YES!

Although the "Career Manager" designation sounds pretty good, they have a lot of people to look after, and the Forces needs will always supercede your own needs. Mostly, you go where he tells you to go (postings). Don't expect him to overly caring about you, and don't try to flash the "If you don't post me there, I'm getting out" type of thing, or you could very well be handed out VR papers...

I seen that first hand, and the poor fellow was out before he could realize it.
If you're lucky, you get to see him once a year for a 15 minutes interview. He looks at your MPRR info (make sure it's updated), and tells you if you're posted or not this year ,if you're getting promoted ,if you're getting course loaded on the next career course. I find that to have access to his online briefing before you see him is the way to go. Then, you know how many people are being looked at on the merit board, and how may expected promotions.

My 2 cents...

Back