• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Carbon Tax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
carbon tax=loss of industry
carbon tax=higher prices, there is no such thing as a neutral tax
carbon tax=opportunities for fraud, theft, embezzlement

above 3 facts are proven.  Witness the shuttered factories in every country that has implemented it.

Jim Prentiss told Albertans the economic state of the province was all their fault for voting the PCs in for all those years. Albertans essentially got what they deserved he said. Truth? I suppose. So he gave Albertans two choices. Vote in the PCs in again, give him the mandate that he wanted to do whatever he wanted and live with the consequences. Or vote out the PCs.
Prentice got exactly what he told Albertans to do. He just didn't expect option B.

As far as carbon tax, Prentice had a chance to make changes, it was expected he would make changes and instead he said he wasn't happy with his plans yet and would do something after the election. So he ended up doing nothing.

The problem with a carbon tax is there is a limit to how high you can go before providing non-implementing jurisdictions a trade advantage. The numbers I have read suggest that this is somewhere below $20/tonne. Thus have all Kyoto type deals stalled; words and promises with no binding implementation plan. All taxes are transferred downstream eventually. The purpose of a carbon tax has always been about reducing demand. Having spent over $50000 a month on hydro in Ontario I'd sure like to see the hydro bills that drove these companies out of Ontario. I can guarantee that wages and tax subsidies are what caused the move. Most industrial users are/were paying 0.02 per kva

Whenever discussing CO2 reductions, there always seems to be a bias against Alberta.  Production of hydrocarbons is irrelevant to high CO2 levels.  Limiting consumption of hydrocarbons is the problem.  If people are serious about limiting CO2 production, hydrocarbons should be taxed as close to the point of consumption as possible.  The home heating for widows and orphans should be taxed on the same CO2 basis as fuel through a $100,000 SUV.  Alberta's oil industry should have no carbon tax at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back