• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Car ownership?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohdiesel

Inactive
Reaction score
Any mariners out there who don't own a car?  Would it be possible to live close to work on either the East or West coast Navy installations without driving to work?

That's my dream: not to own a car.  I hate them so much.  The maintenance, the gasoline, all of that.

The answer to your question in short is yes. Now I do own a car, but have since decided to bike to the base every morning. It is 7kms, and takes about the same amount of time as driving my car. My brother is a sailor on the west coast and bikes too. So if you are energetic and have/get a bicycle, life is good. In the wintertime you can always car pool or take the bus. The city of Halifax is relatively quick to get around in by bus, and I cant speak for Esquimalt.  :salute:

I didn't own a car for my first two years in Victoria.  Transit is very, very good there, particularly compared to Halifax.  The city is much more compact and easier to navigate.  If you really want it easy, you can get a place in Esquimalt itself and walk to work, or bike, whatever.  Weather for biking is typically good 360 days a year (-5 for our snow days).

The downside to not having a car on Vancouver Island is if you want to go anywhere that isn't Victoria and immediate area, you're in for a bit of a hassle.

while I lived in Victoria I didn't own a car, I was biking everywhere, the city is also very bike friendly too.

in Vic you will need front and rear lights and a helmet, also you better do your proper signaling if you bike on the lanes with cars and be very careful about tourists once you hit the downtown area, alot of them are not very bike friendly or just too busy looking around ;)

Collin.T said:
while I lived in Victoria I didn't own a car, I was biking everywhere, the city is also very bike friendly too.

in Vic you will need front and rear lights and a helmet, also you better do your proper signaling if you bike on the lanes with cars and be very careful about tourists once you hit the downtown area, alot of them are not very bike friendly or just too busy looking around ;)

They're looking to see if you are holding a set of Keys Collin.T  :mad:

My first year in Halifax I didn't own a car.  The walk was about 10 min from my downtown apartment.  And almost as important for my then unmarried self, an even shorter walk to the pubs. ;D

That's awesome Seadog.

It's an environmentalist's dream to not own a car.  I hate the bloody things.  Another vein for the market to suck money out of.

I would say that people would change their driving habits IF gas became $1.50 a liter.  Right now people are feeling it but I don't think they are hurting yet.

SeaDog said:
My first year in Halifax I didn't own a car.  The walk was about 10 min from my downtown apartment.  And almost as important for my then unmarried self, an even shorter walk to the pubs. ;D

ohdiesel said:
That's awesome Seadog.

It's an environmentalist's dream to not own a car.  I hate the bloody things.  Another vein for the market to suck money out of.

I would say that people would change their driving habits IF gas became $1.50 a liter.  Right now people are feeling it but I don't think they are hurting yet.

Wow, you are in for a shock if you are an environmentalist.  I was watching a show on HMCS Winnipeg the other night and, what did they say the gas turbines use up.....168 litres per kilometer ??

Aesop,

I know how big of a polluter the militaries of the world are.

I am willing to turn a blind eye for peace of mind.

aesop081 said:
Wow, you are in for a shock if you are an environmentalist.  I was watching a show on HMCS Winnipeg the other night and, what did they say the gas turbines use up.....168 litres per kilometer ??

Yeah, needless to say a frigate burns a lot of dino bones, especially when she's up on both turbines.  Environmentally, however, the Navy is a real stickler for the regs - much more so than a lot of civvie companies out there.  No one would ever consider pumping black water overboard in harbour...even if the city is doing it a few meters away...one of life's little ironies I suppose.

Are you saying the Navy is more environmentally-conscious than I am aware?

SeaDog said:
Yeah, needless to say a frigate burns a lot of dino bones, especially when she's up on both turbines.  Environmentally, however, the Navy is a real stickler for the regs - much more so than a lot of civvie companies out there.  No one would ever consider pumping black water overboard in harbour...even if the city is doing it a few meters away...one of life's little ironies I suppose.

ohdiesel cars are not that bad, actually I'm looking to purchase one soon, cause it's kinda hard to carry scuba diving, hiking or kayaking gears on a pedal bike.

Collin,

Cars themselves are not bad.  It's the amount of people that drive them carelessly, recklessly, and needlessly. 

The amount of environmental destruction it takes to produce one automobile is pretty insane.

If you need a car, buy it.  Some people think they need a truck with a diesel engine on it to goto the corner store.  What a joke.  I think they need a bigger penis.

I used to have the backwoods type of mindset where I didn't understand those 'leftist' hippies who preached about the dangers of pollution and so on.  Please don't try to have a discussion with me about this. 

Collin.T said:
ohdiesel cars are not that bad, actually I'm looking to purchase one soon, cause it's kinda hard to carry scuba diving, hiking or kayaking gears on a pedal bike.

Aesop,

So far I've noticed that your tone has been one of ambivalence.  You seem to have something against my views. 

I don't want to have a discussion about environmentalism because that horse has been beaten to death by academia.  Just pick up a freakin' book. 

I just posted the car issue because I like the idea of not owning a car and not having to pay for its maintenance.  It's a racket like a lot of the garbage we're sold.  OK?

aesop081 said:
Well, this being a DISCUSSION forum........

ohdiesel said:
Aesop,

So far I've noticed that your tone has been one of ambivalence.  You seem to have something against my views. 

I don't want to have a discussion about environmentalism because that horse has been beaten to death by academia.  Just pick up a freakin' book. 

I just posted the car issue because I like the idea of not owning a car and not having to pay for its maintenance.  It's a racket like a lot of the garbage we're sold.  OK?

Guess what Ohdiesel, you don't control the ebb and flow of the conversations on this Board.  If someone wants to raise a discussion on environmentalism, it is their choice to do so.  You are not obliged to respond... although I suspect you might have some difficulty keeping your mouth shut as evidenced by your past performance here.

ohdiesel said:
So far I've noticed that your tone has been one of ambivalence.  You seem to have something against my views
Ambivalence, noun, the coexistence in a person's mind of opposing feelings, esp. love and hate.

Hmmm....I'm not feeling the love. Perhaps you mean antagonism?

Antagonism, noun, active opposition or hostility

Sharing the English language...one person at a time, if need be   ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back