• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cap Badges

Umm... is the problem with the Clothing stores OR is the problem with the recruit instructors ???

Methinks that the instructors contribute heavily to the mayhem

BinRat55 said:
Now THERE'S an understatement!!
Glad I'm not the only one that was on the receiving end their mess(')

geo said:
Umm... is the problem with the Clothing stores OR is the problem with the recruit instructors ???

I think it's a combination of both. The instructors want a second headdress out for inspection, and the Clothing stores hand them out. I know they have many civies that work there, so they can say no to the instructors if they are asked directly for a second beret. No skin off their back. I guess we'll never really know.

Once you are in, you can order berets "online" from Logistek-Unicorp... entitlement of 2 per year IIRC.

Storeman / instructor problem is with the ill fitting boots.

ArmyVern said:
I now know two people who were issued 2 berets. Yourself and Med below.

Uhh.. you may have to add the 54 from my BMQ 2 years ago, as well as every other recruit in CFLRS at the time -- In fact, the second beret is actually in the locker layout, so It didn't seem like a new thing... I believe my coursemates on POET from Borden and Meaford BMQ's had the same.

And on the cap badge topic - I know I had to buy every single signals capbadge I own from the kitshop in Kingston. And my buttons and collar dogs. And the signals metal shoulder tabs, AND the slip on for my DEUs. Cost something like 70 bucks on my 3's to get my kit up to standard.

Then again, that was the same QM that told me to take my uniform to a civvie tailor since I lost weight and it had gotten too big for me. AND that refused to issue a gas mask carrier to me, even when I was no longer a student at CFSCE. - I have yet to check here in Shilo to see if they are any better.

Klc said:
And my buttons and collar dogs. And the signals metal shoulder tabs, AND the slip on for my DEUs. Cost something like 70 bucks on my 3's to get my kit up to standard.

So ?

Klc said:
Uhh.. you may have to add the 54 from my BMQ 2 years ago, as well as every other recruit in CFLRS at the time -- In fact, the second beret is actually in the locker layout, so It didn't seem like a new thing... I believe my coursemates on POET from Borden and Meaford BMQ's had the same.

And on the cap badge topic - I know I had to buy every single signals capbadge I own from the kitshop in Kingston. And my buttons and collar dogs. And the signals metal shoulder tabs, AND the slip on for my DEUs. Cost something like 70 bucks on my 3's to get my kit up to standard.

Then again, that was the same QM that told me to take my uniform to a civvie tailor since I lost weight and it had gotten too big for me. AND that refused to issue a gas mask carrier to me, even when I was no longer a student at CFSCE. - I have yet to check here in Shilo to see if they are any better.

1) Good. The entitlement is ONE each. Nuff said - if you got two --- lucky you too. I DO NOT give a fuck how many you got --- you ARE only entitled to one. 'Nuff said.

2) That's right. Already discussed in another thread by me today (what are the odds?? Look at my post history to find it - I'm not linking you) - weight gain/loss by members due to non-medical reasons equals = DEU replacement/altering at their own expense.

3) Gas mask carriers - have been on and off the OPERATIONALY restricted list for years and years now. They were right - you're wrong. Do a search of this site and you'll see that.

Nope, they are not any better there in Shilo - they're still Ops restricted.

Have a great day.

Anything else you'd like to blame me for while you're here?

Oh ... the signals cap badge -- Do a damn search and you'll find the reasoning posted here already ... about your cap badge and a whole bunch damn more. I'm NOT doing it for you. I'm off. I've adressed the VERY same issues many many times on this site --- start searching.

And, about your collar dogs etc too: ...

Do a search!!

The answers here, and I'm not searching for you because you're too lazy to do that. I've already answered/explained the capbadge/collar gog/shoulder title/rank issue at least 25 times on this site. No more.

Oh PS: It cost me 70 bucks just for my rank badges for my Mess Kit ... one day - you'll get over it.

ArmyVern said:
Oh PS: It cost me 70 bucks just for my rank badges for my Mess Kit ... one day - you'll get over it.

Nevermind the cost of the rank badges.......the cost of the uniform itself .....ouch !!!

Wow... I really wasn't trying to blame anything on anybody- and I feel I must say right off the bat that I definitely don't have any problems with the people in the supply world, whatsoever.

I never said I was entitled to more then one. I said that we all have more than one. 'Lucky' everyone I know who joined in the last 2 years.

As for the unrelated venting I unfortunately spewed out (mostly caused by me getting several blasts of poo for not having a gasmask carrier in the field; and the subsequent 3 blasts of a horn signifying my impending 'death')

2. Actually this was the one thing I did do so far since I got here. They apparently were in the wrong, but my other set of DEU's have been tailored to fit me again now - free of charge.

3. That is what I thought, as the board at the Kingston QM said. However - no matter how much I search on the DIN, I can't find a regulation pertaining to this. I've been ordered to go to QM on Monday - with my masterjack in tow - to pick up a gasmask carrier, to prove that I lied about not being able to get one issued; I've been told that corrective actions will follow for my lack of integrity.

All I was saying is (and shortly after posting I did read the OTHER cap badge thread) that if these are regulations,  my CoC; who tell me that I am full of poop when I tell them why I don't have a gasmask carrier, or why I don't have a second beret (no capbadge on it); are not at all aware of them, and act as if they have never heard of this before.

I'd PM you asking for some direction on where to start my search for some sort of official reg to show WHY I couldn't get the carrier - but I don't exactly think it would be welcome. I will continue to search official sources on my own.

Again, my apologies for posting on what are not only obviously sensitive issues, but completely unrelated to above discussion without extensive research on THIS site.

P.S. - The $70 was a surprise required purchase that not only did I not budget for, but could not afford at the time. that and only that was my point of contention on that issue.

Klc said:

The kit shop prices obviously went up a little bit. I got the same stuff, minus cap badge, from the kit shop for half of what you paid when I was there.

Klc said:

Please don't start your career with a chip on your shoulder. We all have jobs to do and that means following orders and directives. When Clothing Stores says no to you - there's a reason and they are not making it up. If you don't agree with a decision made at the front counter, ask to speak to a higher rank and question it respectfully there. But if you are told the same answer by the higher rank - accept the answer you are given.

Klc said:
2. Actually this was the one thing I did do so far since I got here. They apparently were in the wrong, but my other set of DEU's have been tailored to fit me again now - free of charge.

3. That is what I thought, as the board at the Kingston QM said. However - no matter how much I search on the DIN, I can't find a regulation pertaining to this. I've been ordered to go to QM on Monday - with my masterjack in tow - to pick up a gasmask carrier, to prove that I lied about not being able to get one issued; I've been told that corrective actions will follow for my lack of integrity.

All I was saying is (and shortly after posting I did read the OTHER cap badge thread) that if these are regulations,  my CoC; who tell me that I am full of poop when I tell them why I don't have a gasmask carrier, or why I don't have a second beret (no capbadge on it); are not at all aware of them, and act as if they have never heard of this before.

I'd PM you asking for some direction on where to start my search for some sort of official reg to show WHY I couldn't get the carrier - but I don't exactly think it would be welcome. I will continue to search official sources on my own.

Again, my apologies for posting on what are not only obviously sensitive issues, but completely unrelated to above discussion without extensive research on THIS site.

P.S. - The $70 was a surprise required purchase that not only did I not budget for, but could not afford at the time. that and only that was my point of contention on that issue.

Clothing Stores should have issued you a chit - you can request it as well - as long as the entitlement exists and the kit doesn't.  As for the DEU issue, you are entitled to free exchange of initial issue for a full year after enrollment - after that you are on your own.

Vern WILL accept a PM from you (as will I) HOWEVER - if you have questions they had better be above board. Vern is a busy busy girl and does not have time to entertain questions that can be answered with a little effort by the individuals. But we are not monsters (well, Vern actually is a monster, but that's an Alert thing...) nor will your head come clean off. If you are in doubt and tried everywhere, ask.

70 Bucks for accoutrements, what did you have 30 slip ons, really man,  I dont think I've spent 70 bucks on kit in the last year.  Usually your initial issue comes from the CE Branch fund after that your on your own for accoutrements.  As for the tailoring issue, simple,  they only have to tailor it on the queens dime once, Like binrat said if its in your first year exchange it and you will get yet another first time tailoring of a new tunic.  Welcome to life in the army,  just be glad you don't have to buy messkit.

I find it hard to beleive that someone pays for slip on's... am I missing something here? Who actually charges for slip on's - what kind are they?

BinRat55 said:
I find it hard to beleive that someone pays for slip on's...

Was the same for me in 1993. Had to buy the "new gold" (DEU) and "old gold" ( garison dress) slip-ons that had "GENIE" on them as oposed to "CANADA". The when i got posted to my first unit, i had to buy them again but with "ENGINEERS" because it was an ELU !!!!

Back then it was $30 (IIRC) and we got one of each set of slip-ons, the engineer parade belt buckle , collar dogs, and shoulder titles ( that had had to buy again in english...urghh).

BinRat55 said:
I find it hard to beleive that someone pays for slip on's... am I missing something here? Who actually charges for slip on's - what kind are they?

When I first got in we had to buy the PPCLI flash for our garrison dress and the ones for the CF shirts.  We then took them over to the tailor and she sewed them over the CANADA flash, but that was over 10 years ago have to check the kitshop Monday see if that is still the policy.  

klc, get used to paying stuff... Everytime I change unit I have to buy 42$ worth of patches (6X7$, 3 for 1 flight suit, 3 for the flight jacket, I've changed units 2 times in the last 2 years) and everytime you get a new qualification, you need to buy 2X that patch as well.  Not everything on your uniform is given to you. Wait until you'll have to buy a mess kit, that will take you 800$ closer to the red (or deeper in the red depending on your financial situation...)

geo said:

lack
What they were doing (a year and a half ago before I was posted back to Halifax) for exchanges was having Clothing Stores open a few evening a week until 1930 or so, and recruits would go over after training hours to do their own exchanges.  During the day, exchanges were possible but the recruits would be in their on their own, the Marching NCO wouldn't be with them.

About the CFLRS clothing stores itseld, I can tell you that the place was being run horribly and when I was there, the WO in the shop was ummmm replaced.  Clothing Stores on the Garrison doesn't belong to CFLRS itself, but 5 GSS.  

Personally, I found the instructors to be dropping the ball on the kit issue side, from what I saw up there.  When our BMQ candidates did the kit issue, the kit check proved interesting.   They issue out alot of the kit in black garbage bags, which are supposed to be all the same but aren't.  During the kit check/inspection, 13 of my troops didn't get the thermal canteen (proper name?) and the LS wrote down "13 winter canteen" on a piece of paper.  I said "what are you doing?".  His reply "we'll get these to you later to give to them".  I said 'I don't f**kin' thing so.  You either amend their documents OR get the missing kit."  The missing kit list was huge, but when we left, the only kit they didn't have was DEU stuff on back order and everyone's docs were correct.  

But the LS and the civie staff were obviously not impressed that they had to do this, not that I personally gave a f**k.  Oddly enough, they had a cash sales up there for recruits to purchase pretty much any item of kit they 'lost'.  I'd like to have all the $ from recruits who had to purchase stuff they signed for, but had never really been issued initially with that dickhead LS from Clothing writing lists out and never actually getting the kit to the troops, who walked out being ordered to sign their name despite missing kit.

They tried some of the same stuff with me, handing me a bag of kit and telling me to "sign here".  I said "I will sign once you I can check for each piece of kit, and to see that its actually serviceable to start off with".

I'd stand there for half an hour, watching the 3 civies follow each other around, doing SFA except making the rest of us wait longer.

Soon after I got there, the WO was replaced, a few of the Cpl supply techs were out front way more and the civies did gaggle around and f**k the dog the whole time.

Not sure how it is now but when I was there it was a joke.

SupersonicMax said:
klc, get used to paying stuff... Everytime I change unit I have to buy 42$ worth of patches (6X7$, 3 for 1 flight suit, 3 for the flight jacket, I've changed units 2 times in the last 2 years) and everytime you get a new qualification, you need to buy 2X that patch as well.  Not everything on your uniform is given to you. Wait until you'll have to buy a mess kit, that will take you 800$ closer to the red (or deeper in the red depending on your financial situation...)

My own personal opinion is that if the CF requires me to wear it, then the CF should provide it.  Now I know thats not the way it is, and I know I'll have to buy my own patches too and I'll just do it like everyone else (small price to pay to be in the best MOCs in the CF IMO). 

If its part of the uniform, the troops should be issued it, not have to pay for it.  I too bought all my Regimental collar/shoulder dogs, buttons, etc.  I just never thought it made sense.  The CF shouldn't order people to wear something that they have to pay for out of pocket, those items should be in the supply system IMO. 

If they decide to buy something better (berets is an example, when the ones from Logistik were crap) then all the power to them. 

Eye In The Sky said:
My own personal opinion is that if the CF requires me to wear it, then the CF should provide it.  Now I know thats not the way it is, and I know I'll have to buy my own patches too and I'll just do it like everyone else (small price to pay to be in the best MOCs in the CF IMO). 

You are wrong.  The CF does require you to wear it, and the CF does supply you with the Buttons and badges to wear.  It is the Units/Branches who demand you wear their accoutraments, not the generic CF ones.  Some Units do give an initial "Free Issue" of Regimental accoutraments, for one set of DEU.  If the individual wants more they must purchase them out of their own pocket.

So, it is not the CF that is not providing, but the Unit/Branch.

Back