• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAN's "War Poet" at warpoet.ca

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Interesting concept - alternative media coverage link below sample entry...

"WarPoet.ca is one of smsteele's Canadian Forces Artist Program projects. Through text, audio, images, video and contributions by Canada's military personnel, warpoet.ca examines and records the contemporary Canadian war experience."

Latest entry:
another sleepover with Admin. Coy. my roomies being accommodating again despite the fact that I’ll wake them at 04:45 to get up and go watch the cooks get the camp rolling with their breakfast prep.

I curl into my army issue sleeping bag, listen to my ipod for about five minutes and crash. oblivious to the soldiers watching 300, a movie about the battle of Thermopylae. there’s a safe sort of feeling that comes over me as I drift asleep knowing that I’m surrounded by 1PPCLI. the entire battalion.

not one, but two soldiers set their alarms for me and wake up with me at 04:45. I dress, tiptoe out of the tent into a still prairie night. only the sounds of diesel generators, and a few lights, and a thousand stars.

I wanted to be up with the first cook, but found several already up scrambling eggs, beginning to make French toast, the sausages and bacon fried the previous night. these men and women work from now until 8 pm. in cold and wind. they joke and laugh. make each other coffee. take smoke breaks. help each other. tick tick tick. the clockwork of a kitchen that feeds 600 hungry men.

they show me pictures of their babies, their kids. they don’t make it home for 1st birthdays, anniversaries. they’re going to Afghanistan. still, they laugh. play tricks on each other. call each other names. use language in a fantastic way.

I have to go at 08:00. a young Lt. is taking me to the big guns. otherwise I’d stay all day with the cooks. next time.

I go to the big guns out in the field. the artillery are part of a combined infantry, artillery exercise. live ammo. they show me their operations, then the 125mm Howitzer. a big old gun with big BOOM. some of them have been deployed on FOBs in Afghanistan. “It was an experience,” one guy says. weary. but he’s going again.

(....)

More on the program and poet here.

I'll be completely honest here, after having read some of the greats (Sigfried Sassoon, Wilfred Owen et al) and some of the not so greats (Rupert Brooke), I can't say that I'm particularily impressed. Yes, it is a start, however war poetry, in my mind, comes from the soldiers who live and fight at the front, not from civilians who spend most of their time in the camps. I know this may be an unfair generalization but it's just my opinion. I'd be very interested to see some of what the soldiers have written as I'd imagine, as with any other war, there are soldiers writing poetry outside the wire.

Big Foot said:
in my mind, comes from the soldiers who live and fight at the front, not from civilians who spend most of their time in the camps. I know this may be an unfair generalization but it's just my opinion.

I don't think that's totally unfair - nothing replaces the eye and the heart of the person DOING it writing, compared to the eye and the heart of someone WATCHING it being done.  I'm willing to give this a chance, though, in the spirit of "how do others see us at war?" - anthropologist Anne Irwin comes to mind as an example. 

I hope Ms. Steele deploys, and look forward to what comes from that experience - if she doesn't (or if a risk-averse person in the system someone doesn't let her), it's more like "preparing for war" poetry, isn't it?

Big Foot said:
I'd be very interested to see some of what the soldiers have written as I'd imagine, as with any other war, there are soldiers writing poetry outside the wire.

Not to mention prose....

Big Foot said:
I'd be very interested to see some of what the soldiers have written as I'd imagine, as with any other war, there are soldiers writing poetry outside the wire.
A good example is the poem by MCpl Jeff Walsh called "Monsters in the Dark" which he wrote based on his experiences of his first tour in Afghanistan.
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/48889.0.html

hi guys, sms here... thanks for the interest in my project... a few things...

I am not an official war poet... I am an independent artist participating in the CFAP. I am grateful to the Can. Forces for opening their doors to me, and to all the soldiers, their families and friends for sharing their lives with me.

the excerpt you took from my website is not an example of my poetry. it is from my online diary. for samples of my poetry, listen to the audio files.

it is early days yet. my real writing will begin once I am in, and returned from Afghanistan sometime in 2009. as I say to Ottawa, "what good is a war poet who doesn't see war"... I hope to make it to the FOBs... having said that, I don't want to be a liability...

I totally agree with you that I can have no idea of what it means to be a soldier. that is why I am inviting soldiers to send their work to me if they wish and I will post it.

as far as I'm concerned, art, as with ordinance, sometimes takes several attempts (and in art's case, maybe thousands) before hitting the target... I can only hope that I come close.

thanks for being interested

Welcome SMS!  Thanks for taking the time to post here.  You'll find an interested audience for your material on these boards - there's also a wide and deep range of experience reading and responding via the forums here, so please don't be shy about asking questions or learning even more about the military via the "crowd knowledge" here at Army.ca.

sms said:
it is early days yet. my real writing will begin once I am in, and returned from Afghanistan sometime in 2009. as I say to Ottawa, "what good is a war poet who doesn't see war"... I hope to make it to the FOBs... having said that, I don't want to be a liability...
Good to hear you'll get a reasonable taste of the experience - looking forward to the results.

sms said:
I totally agree with you that I can have no idea of what it means to be a soldier. that is why I am inviting soldiers to send their work to me if they wish and I will post it.
I'm guessing you might get a few more submissions thanks to this posting.

sms said:
as far as I'm concerned, art, as with ordinance, sometimes takes several attempts (and in art's case, maybe thousands) before hitting the target... I can only hope that I come close.
Still, as I said in one of my earlier posts, it'll be intriguing seeing how others see us.

If/when you can spare the time (you're likely pretty busy experiencing military life and keeping the material coming), I'd be interested in knowing more about what intrigued you about this project, esp. in light of this from the web page:
.... This work is dedicated to all who have shared their lives with me, especially the young Afghan veteran, D., who started me on this journey ....

Thanks again, sms, for getting in touch - hope we can help you learn during your experience, and we look forward to your contribution in helping Canadians learn more about the men and women doing a pretty important and dangerous job on behalf of Canada.

Just my two cents.

War Poetry is not only written by those in the field but by every family member, every friend, co-worker and supporter attached to someone in the forces wether they be currently enlisted, vetrans, the deceased or even more informally involved as in regards to the cadet corps and reservists.

We all have different perspectives on the "war" and each of those perspectives is valid and valuable and worth sharing

Canada's poet, Robert W. Service was a war poet as well, long before the modern conflict.

Rhymes of a Red Cross Man brings a number of stories of war into view.

http://plagiarist.com/poetry/4163/

Welcome!  I heard you on The Current the other day and your project sounds fascinating.  Thanks for sharing your site with us, I will look forward to seeing your work.  I found the story you relayed on what drew you to the CFAP (the poem about Cpl Boneca) to be really touching - and I hope you find the trip as inspiring as you hope.

sms said:
hi guys, sms here... thanks for the interest in my project... a few things...

I am not an official war poet... I am an independent artist participating in the CFAP. I am grateful to the Can. Forces for opening their doors to me, and to all the soldiers, their families and friends for sharing their lives with me.

the excerpt you took from my website is not an example of my poetry. it is from my online diary. for samples of my poetry, listen to the audio files.

thanks for being interested

Reviving necrothread because it appears Suzanne Steele is in Afghanistan, having spent Remembrance Day at KAF - her observations:
the day breaks cold and clear. yellow birds in trees coated in white dust, so white, everything coated it looks like a fresh morning in Canada after a light snowfall. there is something oddly Christmasish in this dusting of everything. a preciousness. even in the midst of war, of helicopters, Hercs, fighter jets.

I am garrisoned. thousands of soldiers. trucks. sea can buildings. blast walls. radio towers. in the distance the blue mountain ranges. everyone purposeful. suntanned. serious. none of the laughter of Ex.

and yesterday’s flight from the staging base. sombre. in the hold with me, 14 next-of-kin coming to A’stan. a mother’s words, “the army brought his body home, now I’m coming to bring HIM home”.

one of the mothers walked the camino last year. I saw her camino t-shirt and told her I had walked the 850 km road myself. she said, “I walked it for him. I am his eyes now. I walked and talked to him.” on the camino she found she could laugh again. her grief is open and brilliant. white. it coats everything. like the dust of Afghanistan. but still she has the courage to walk on.

ultreia mothers, fathers, widows, brothers, sisters…

ultreia

best,
For those looking for the troops' words, here's something short and sweet, "soldier's words from outside the wire":
the sand

the sand

the sand

God damn

Cnd. soldier/ Kandahar province/2009

Back