• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadiens fans boo American anthem

the_girlfirend

Inactive
Reaction score
Gainey appeals to Canadiens fans not to boo American anthem

By Bill Beacon, THE CANADIAN PRESS
Apr. 21, 2009
BROSSARD, Que - Bob Gainey has appealed to Montreal Canadiens fans to stop booing the U.S. national anthem.

The Canadiens coach and general manager said fans who booed during "The Star Spangled Banner" ahead of Game 3 of their playoff series against the Boston Bruins should find other ways to voice their support.

"I feel like there's a confusion there with our fans," Gainey said Tuesday. "They feel like booing the anthem is supporting our team, in that the anthem represents the Boston team.

"And I think if they could separate those two things, then we could respect the anthem of the United States of America and they could still participate loudly in whatever way they want to disrupt the Bruins."

Many fans booed the U.S. anthem at the Bell Centre on Monday night, even though others tried to drown them out with chants of Go Habs Go.

The same booing has been heard during the playoffs annually in recent years. In the past, the Canadiens responded with a taped appeal on the scoreboard of Canadiens legend Jean Beliveau asking fans to respect both national anthems, and there would be less booing at subsequent games.

Instead of playing the tape again, the team is counting on Gainey's appeal to stop it, a team official said.

When told of Gainey's statement, Bruins goaltender Tim Thomas said "that sounds like a very classy thing he did."

Thomas, a native of Flint, Mich., said he was not put off by the booing

"No, because I've heard it before," he said "The same thing happened last year and it happened just about every time I've played here.

"I was prepared for it. I knew what was going to happen and I just ignored it."

Boston leads the best-of-seven NHL Eastern Conference series 3-0 and can complete a sweep with a victory on Wednesday night.

link: http://www.thescore.com/nhl/nhl_news_article.aspx?eventId=NEWS-CP-211979821

Hey there!

I have been to Canadiens games and I have noticed some people booing the American anthem....
It is useless to mention that I think it is discusting and unacceptable.  :eek:
But I was just curious to know if it is typical of canadiens fans or if you have also notice this with your home team?

the_girlfirend said:
Hey there!

I have been to Canadiens games and I have noticed some people booing the American anthem....
It is useless to mention that I think it is discusting and unacceptable.  :eek:
But I was just curious to know if it is typical of canadiens fans or if you have also notice this with your home team?

I can't speak for other teams but any time I have gone to a Canucks game that was against an American team I never noticed any booing when the anthems played.. only for bad penalties and the like

I'm not surprised, considering where the Bell Centre is located. Not suprised at all.

I've been to games in the States, specifically Buffalo, where the fans are for the most part drunk, rowdy and obnoxious. But never once do they boo the Canadian anthem, instead they stand quietly and cheer loudly at the end.

There was some tit for tat about this very same thing a few years ago that even got Grapes going on Coach's Corner. I don't recall who started it it, them or us, but it was being done on both sides of the border and, IIRC, it was one series in particular.

Silly no matter what and completely lacking respect.

I've been to several games in all Canadian cities as well as Boston and have never seen this happen. The worst I saw was a few years ago when some dumbarse wore a Bruins jersey to the Bell Centre the night Boston beat the Habs out of the playoffs. Stooooooopid.

During the Oilers/Hurricanes series a few years ago, the Carolina fans booed so loud you couldn't hear our anthem.  When the series returned to Edmonton, the Oilers fans sung their hearts out to the Star Spangled Banner.

Kat Stevens said:
During the Oilers/Hurricanes series a few years ago, the Carolina fans booed so loud you couldn't hear our anthem.  When the series returned to Edmonton, the Oilers fans sung their hearts out to the Star Spangled Banner.

IMHO it depends where you are in the country. Some parts are more respectfull then others (unless you find yourself being a Calgary fan in Edmonton or vice versa...man oh man and I thought the Ottawa-Toronto and Ottawa-Buffalo rivalry was bitter...).

Kat Stevens said:

That's the one I was thinking of. And IIRC Grapes got on to the Edmonton fans before the series got there and said that they'd show more class not booing in return.

IMO, seeing games in Edmonton and Montreal are like no other place. I did get to see one just before they tore the old Boston Gardens down which was great for nostalgia but the fan base in Oil town and Montreal makes for absolutely crazy crowds.

Scott said:
That's the one I was thinking of. And IIRC Grapes got on to the Edmonton fans before the series got there and said that they'd show more class not booing in return.

IMO, seeing games in Edmonton and Montreal are like no other place. I did get to see one just before they tore the old Boston Gardens down which was great for nostalgia but the fan base in Oil town and Montreal makes for absolutely crazy crowds.

The Carolina fans were quite vile throughout the series.  When they lost at home, their own fans booed them off the ice.  It was a pretty sad display.

Piper said:
I'm not surprised, considering where the Bell Centre is located. Not suprised at all.

;D It is funny because that was my main interrogation... does it have anything to do with where the Bell Center is located???  ;D

I don't know...

That was very un-canadian of those people to do boo the american anthem  :-[

Piper said:

I'm trying to not respond to stupid/ignorant posts today so                     

Back