• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadians won't fire if women, children present

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Canadians won't fire if women, children present: officer
'We're very much reflective of canadian society'
Tom Blackwell National Post Thursday, May 10, 2007
Article Link

KANDAHAR AIRFIELD, Afghanistan - Canadian troops take pains to avoid civilian casualties even if it means not firing on Taliban fighters when they hide among women and children, a key combat officer said yesterday.

Canada's contingent tried hard to distance itself from fresh controversy over sometimes deadly collateral damage inflicted by international operations in Afghanistan.

A U.S. bombing that reportedly killed more than 20 civilians and shootings by British soldiers in which a Kandahar man died have revived feelings among some Afghans that the foreign troops pay little heed to innocents caught in the crossfire.

But Major Alex Ruff, whose unit was involved in two days of intense fighting this week, said Canadian soldiers take the issue seriously.

"Canadians conduct our business as we conduct it and we're very much reflective of Canadian society," he said. "We had a couple of incidents where the Taliban were hiding amongst women and children inside compounds, but we won't engage them. It's not what we do.

"We know there are civilians in and about the area, and we won't engage where they're at."

Maj. Ruff heads the Hotel combat team, which was attacked by the Taliban this week, forcing it into firefights that resulted in more than 20 insurgents being killed.

He said some Taliban hid among civilians as they fled, but were not firing at Canadians at the time. Although the Canadians did not go after them, they continue to be under surveillance by "higher assets."

At least 21 civilians, including women and children, were reportedly killed after U.S. special forces called in airstrikes against Taliban fighters in the Sangin district of neighbouring Helmand province .
More on link

I tried to type a few questions to this earlier today, and am actually surprised at the lack of response to this.

Before I do ask, is there an issue with OPSEC discussing the whys and wherefores of this article?  It touches on engagement rules, but leaves quite a bit to be read between unclear lines.

OPSEC issue, most likely.

This article is borderline enough in my opinion. However, I digress.

Discussion of ROE or discussion of media reports of ROE are an OPSEC issue, full stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back