• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadians of Convenience?

Michael O'Leary said:
I suppose the lesson here is that no matter where you draw the line, it passes between two people standing shoulder-to-shoulder.  Better a response from the government in support of our citizens than none at all, otherwise you might be the next man "just outside the wire."  What would be next "logical" step to tiered entitlements of citizens? Linking the responsiveness of the 911 system to the municipal tax database to determine your place in the queue?

Do we even need a 9/11 system? After all, we all know only old people and folks on welfare use it on a regular basis. The rest of us will likely never really need one. </sarcasm>

Seriously though, I don't think comparing a service that can only possibly apply to citizens and residents currently in-country and the rescue of people who deliberately left the country to go to a warzone is quite fair. But I do get your point.

Frederik G said:
There is a world of difference between Canadian-born citizen who move away, and people who moved to Canada for however long it took to get their citizenship then moved back to their armpit of a country.

For the first group, citizenship, although not earned, is probably not of convenience--they didn't pick a credible country to live in for a while, then move away. The second group, however, deliberately went to a country with lax immigration laws, got their citizenship, and then take advantage of it when possible.

Frederik G, I see what you are getting at, and to an extent I do agree with it, but no matter what policy we come up with to deal with the "Canadians of Convenience", they will always be around seeking refuge here when things go awry in their homeland. There is nothing we can do about the ones who have already taken advantage of us. Now we just have to come up with new immigration laws that will make it tougher for the newbies when coming over to get an easy citizenship.

Frederik G said:
Do we even need a 9/11 system? After all, we all know only old people and folks on welfare use it on a regular basis. The rest of us will likely never really need one. </sarcasm>

I saw the sarcasm here, but I have used 9-1-1 three times in my life, twice for my son and once for my husband.

"You know what winds me up?  Dem immigants want to live here, but can't learn the sentomonies"  Moe Syzlak

So I think we are all agreed here - we need to change the rules and wean the parasites from suckling the teat of this great nation, but that virtually every case will have to be thoroughly investigated and determined on an individual basis.  I'm guessing, knowing bureaucracy as I think I do - that this will undoubtedly cost more than allowing them to suckle.

I wish I had a solution, because I believe a one-time expenditure on such a function would be worth paying for.  The problem is, bureaucracy is as much a parasite as the free-loaders.  Those specific cases of people on this site (and not on this site) who have served this country, and continue to serve it in representing us abroad (officially or otherwise, Wes, Kat, et al) should obviously be permitted, even championed.

tlm.

Editted to be more inclusive, now, can I get a hug from someone?

It appeared a few people here had some knowledge of not only immigration but also of the situation in Lebanon, so perhaps you can clear something up for me.  I am assuming that some of the people we rescued from Lebanon originally came to Canada as refugees.  If that was indeed the case then would it not have been too dangerous for these people to be vacationing in Lebanon in the first place? As a refugee weren't you trying to 'escape' from your country.  Why would you take the chance to return?  I'm either not understanding the term refugee as defined in our Immigration Act or possibly the situation in Lebanon had changed significantly since these people entered Canada as refugees and they felt (wrongly as it turns out) that it would be safe to return.  If anyone can shed some light on this subject that would be great.  ???

Marlene

marlene said:
I am assuming that some of the people we rescued from Lebanon originally came to Canada as refugees.  If that was indeed the case then would it not have been too dangerous for these people to be vacationing in Lebanon in the first place? As a refugee weren't you trying to 'escape' from your country.  Why would you take the chance to return?  . . . .  If anyone can shed some light on this subject that would be great.  ???

Marlene

Perhaps conditions changed.

marlene said:
If that was indeed the case then would it not have been too dangerous for these people to be vacationing in Lebanon in the first place?

Look at the timeline for the Lebanese Civil War....

Frequently people will come here, claim refugee status for some perceived problem and wait.  Even if the claim is turned down, they can appeal it over and over, and even then all they have to do is crank out some kids while they are here and they are golden.  Once you have your landed status you can come and go as you please with some time constraints.  Once you are a citizen, it is a green light. 
We got heaps of people from FRY, and once the war there was settled, claiming refugee from there to escape the war was no longer a legit claim.  It will be the same for Iraq, Sudan, Palestine etc.

Back