• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Whisky gets to keep "Glen" in its name

McG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Whisky makers lose bid to ban Glen Breton label
Updated Thu. Jun. 11 2009 10:45 AM ET
The Canadian Press

OTTAWA -- The Scotch Whisky Association has lost its fight to keep a small Nova Scotia distillery from using the name Glen Breton for its single malt product.

The Supreme Court of Canada has refused to hear the association's appeal of a lower court ruling that approved the label used by Cape Breton's Glenora Distillers.

As usual, the court gave no reasons for its decision.

The association, which zealously guards the name scotch as applying only to whisky made in Scotland, argued that use of the name Glen Breton could confuse consumers.

It says the prefix "glen" is associated with many single-malt scotches and people might think that Glen Breton was a Scottish product.

The Federal Court rejected the argument earlier this year.

The association says it's disappointed by the high court's refusal to hear the case.

It says it will still oppose the use of the label outside Canada.

Glenora Distillers International Ltd., is Canada's only single malt whisky distillery and is based in Glenville, N.S.
It's sad, but I know folk who can't recognize a Scotch from a Rye in labeled bottles.  I suppose I can see the concern from the industry, but I suspect the easily confused are not the ones spending the most into the industry.

MCG said:
It's sad, but I know folk who can't recognize a Scotch from a Rye in labeled bottles.  I suppose I can see the concern from the industry, but I suspect the easily confused are not the ones spending the most into the industry.

At the same time, we all know people who can't tell one beer from another.  We know others who can't discern one liquor from another in mixed drinks or cocktails. 

The connoisseurs will know.  Do we really have to worry about the rest?

George Wallace said:
At the same time, we all know people who can't tell one beer from another.  We know others who can't discern one liquor from another in mixed drinks or cocktails. 

The connoisseurs will know.  Do we really have to worry about the rest?

Well, from the viewpoint of the Scotch Whisky Association (Playing Devil's Advocate), I think they do care about what the unwashed masses are buying. The market for low-end scotch may not be as large as that for the good stuff, but I'm sure it's sizable enough. I'm sure they believe that Glen Breton is stealing business from some of their lower-end products. Surely no one's confusing it for actual high-end scotch, I could see someone making that mistake.

While it is possible that every sale of Glen Breton would have otherwise gone to a Scottish brand, I also don't really care. They've already got control of the word scotch, I see no reason to give them control of the word Glen as well. I'm sure there is a valley or two in Cape Breton.

If the scotch people want people to only be drinking scotch, instead of products similar to scotch, that should be the job of their marketing team, not their legal department.

Glen Breton is so expensive for what it is I'm not sure what market it really is cutting into.  Certainly the unwashed masses are not buying it because there are better products that are cheaper.  The substance of the claim - that people would confuse it with a Scottish made product is ludicrous - the packaging is pretty clear.  It is made in the exact same manner as a scotch, but isn't one.

gcclarke said:
Well, from the viewpoint of the Scotch Whisky Association (Playing Devil's Advocate), I think they do care about what the unwashed masses are buying. The market for low-end scotch may not be as large as that for the good stuff, but I'm sure it's sizable enough. I'm sure they believe that Glen Breton is stealing business from some of their lower-end products. Surely no one's confusing it for actual high-end scotch, I could see someone making that mistake.

While it is possible that every sale of Glen Breton would have otherwise gone to a Scottish brand, I also don't really care. They've already got control of the word scotch, I see no reason to give them control of the word Glen as well. I'm sure there is a valley or two in Cape Breton.

If the scotch people want people to only be drinking scotch, instead of products similar to scotch, that should be the job of their marketing team, not their legal department.

Heh heh heh, sounds like another reason to 'buy Canadian'. I'll have to look it up, is it being pushed outside of the east?

LineJumper said:
Heh heh heh, sounds like another reason to 'buy Canadian'. I'll have to look it up, is it being pushed outside of the east?

LCBO carries it in Ontario, and seems readily available in The Big Smoke,

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/details.do?language=EN&itemNumber=601146

GLEN BRETON RARE CDN SGL MALT
LCBO 601146 | 750 mL bottle

Price: $ 89.55
Spirits, Whisky,
43.0% Alcohol/Vol.

Made in: Nova Scotia, Canada
By: Glenora Inn & Distillery

Tasting Note
Pale amber colour; lightly smoky with a hint of citrus and toasted malt

Serving Suggestion
Enjoy neat or on the rocks

NOTE: Prices subject to change without notice. Prices include container deposit fees where applicable. All products may not be available in all stores. Please see store personnel for details.

dileas

tess

So Tess, you being a fan of single malts. Is it any good?

I got hooked on Bushmills Single Malt years ago.  I tried the Glen Breton last year, and it's definitely worth what you pay for it.  I can't say I've tried many other single malts, though...Glenfiddich and perhaps a couple of others.  Suppose that means they weren't particularly memorable  :)

Ouch, at that cost, I'll have to keep it on the upper shelf. Hope it tastes good.

. . .  The market for low-end scotch may not be as large as that for the good stuff, but I'm sure it's sizable enough. I'm sure they believe that Glen Breton is stealing business from some of their lower-end products. Surely no one's confusing it for actual high-end scotch, I could see someone making that mistake.

I wouldn't put Glen Breton in the "low-end" whisky category . . . though there are a few single malts that could possibly be so categorized such as SHEEP DIP SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY, and even that dubiously named libation is a reasonable malt if there isn't something better around.  I would definitely rate Glen Breton well above Sheep Dip, but it may be more of a novelty (being Canadian made and good) than an actual contender in any serious competition with other mainstream Scotch whiskys.  However, the Scotch whisky industry would definitely try any possible peemptive action to stop inroads into their market.  Personally, I still prefer my whisky Scottish and can generally find it more reasonably priced than the Cape Breton interloper.  My usual is GLENMORANGIE SINGLE MALT for everyday (well, not 'every' day) drinking and on occasion one of their specialty wood finished varieties.  I have heard that Glen Breton may be finishing some of theirs in specialty barrels (ice wine?) so I may try that.

They did an ice wine barrel run, but it wasn't sold in Canada, it was all exported to Japan if I remember right from my tour.  It was almost $500 a bottle if Remember.  They also sell some really nice long-aged rums.  When they set up shop they bottled and sold rum from somewhere in South America (Paraguay, I seem to think?) to pay the bills while they waited for their first batches to age and sell.

If you ever happen to be in the area the tour is worth the $10 or so they charge, it was informative and you get a couple of nips of the product.

Blackadder1916 said:
I wouldn't put Glen Breton in the "low-end" whisky category . . . though there are a few single malts that could possibly be so categorized such as SHEEP DIP SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY, and even that dubiously named libation is a reasonable malt if there isn't something better around.  I would definitely rate Glen Breton well above Sheep Dip, but it may be more of a novelty (being Canadian made and good) than an actual contender in any serious competition with other mainstream Scotch whiskys.  However, the Scotch whisky industry would definitely try any possible peemptive action to stop inroads into their market.  Personally, I still prefer my whisky Scottish and can generally find it more reasonably priced than the Cape Breton interloper.  My usual is GLENMORANGIE SINGLE MALT for everyday (well, not 'every' day) drinking and on occasion one of their specialty wood finished varieties.  I have heard that Glen Breton may be finishing some of theirs in specialty barrels (ice wine?) so I may try that.

That product (in my opinion) is nothing more than an over priced swill. There are many other Single Malts out there for half the price or less.

Gramps said:
That product (in my opinion) is nothing more than an over priced swill. There are many other Single Malts out there for half the price or less.

Agreed, it's not a terrible whiskey, but it's not special either.  It's well over-priced for the quality of flavour.  I think I've still got a bottle from their first pouring tucked away here somewhere, never bothered to open it after drinking the other bottle I purchased at the same time.

Scotch is overrated anyway. I agree with Occam. I'll stick with the Irish whiskies. 8)

Sadly, the only single malt worse than the Cape Breton stuff is the unfortunate Welsh single malt, Penderyn http://www.welsh-whisky.co.uk/1027.html

Beware. If you are at a whisky tasting and are invited to try either of these two whiskies, wait until the end of the night and then have a friend call you with an 'urgent' message that causes you to rush away screaming.

In the words of my father,

"Anyone who would drink Scotch, would fart in church."

dangerboy said:
So Tess, you being a fan of single malts. Is it any good?

I haven't tried it as of yet, maybe it will be our goal when you come into town.  Would make a nice birthday gift for me hin hint...

I also second RHFC_piper!!  And I have done Both!!

:dileas:

dileas

tess

Back