• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Troops In Norway For Cold Weather Combat Exercise

daftandbarmy said:
They were quite proud of the fact that they could mobilize 1 million people in 4 days (out of a population of about 4 million).

I wonder if they have maintained that capability.

They claim to have recently increased their Army manpower, although it looks like Bde North remains the only standing manoeuvre force in peacetime.  (There are a lot of schools, HQs and special organizations.)  The total Armed Forces mobilization is  over 80,000. They have conscription, but they take in only a fraction of the people who are registered.

Forsvarets:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Armed_Forces

The manpower for territorial defence still seems to reside in the Home Guard (HV), and this has been reorganized to have 5,000 people at a high readiness (24 hrs) component for anti-terrorism capability). The HV can mobilize over 56,000 troops, organized into local defence regions and units.

HV: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heimevernet

*Fixed links ~Staff

kratz said:
If Canada could acheive this, our connection to the average population would be more than the old salt, "support is a mile wide and an inche deep."

Sadly, who would approve paying for this ability?

Well, Norway shares a border with Russia so it's understandable that they really need that kind of capability, unlike us... er.... uh.... right?

kratz said:
If Canada could acheive this, our connection to the average population would be more than the old salt, "support is a mile wide and an inche deep."

Sadly, who would approve paying for this ability?

Yes, but fortunately Canada has never been invaded (successfully). 

I'm of two minds about national service/conscription.  Sure, it's a great way of connecting the military to the public, but even when I spoke to Israelis, Norwegians, etc. in my travels, they seemed very "meh" about it, as if it was something to do and then get on with your life.  The feeling I got was despite every male (or in the case of the IDF, everyone) having some sort of military connection, support wasn't always there. 

Besides, we all know "that guy" who you'd never trust with a spoon, let alone a real weapon.  :nod:

Dimsum said:
Besides, we all know "that guy" who you'd never trust with a spoon, let alone a real weapon.  :nod:

Unfortunately, he joined up and is a Strathcona now....

Nouvelle France was always referred to by the French as "en Canada", which in France, referred to all of the New World colonies, including those in PEI, New Brunswick, Louisiana, Nova Scotia, etc. etc. So in the French view, North America was basically "Canada".

The Jesuits very own "record" of history was called  "Relations du Canada".

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Nouvelle France was always referred to by the French as "en Canada", which in France, referred to all of the New World colonies, including those in PEI, New Brunswick, Louisiana, Nova Scotia, etc. etc. So in the French view, North America was basically "Canada".

What he said. Take a look at a map of the United States. The number of French place names is an indication of just how far they ventured while the English settlers were penned up against the Appalachians.

Bit of a side track, but OGBD made an excellent point. And some of you know enough to not get me going on the last invasions of Canada in the 1866-1871 period.

Old Sweat said:
Bit of a side track, but OGBD made an excellent point. And some of you know enough to not get me going on the last invasions of Canada in the 1866-1871 period.

Yes, we know how much you enjoy reliving the tales of your youth  >:D

dapaterson said:
Yes, we know how much you enjoy reliving the tales of your youth  >:D

ROFL.gif

Oldgateboatdriver said:

I am not convinced:

http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/en/explore/online/franco_ontarian/big/big_03_new_france_map.aspx

"Le Canada, ou Nouvelle France"

Then again; how many times has our history been rewritten.

Dimsum said:
I'm of two minds about national service/conscription.  Sure, it's a great way of connecting the military to the public, but even when I spoke to Israelis, Norwegians, etc. in my travels, they seemed very "meh" about it, as if it was something to do and then get on with your life.  The feeling I got was despite every male (or in the case of the IDF, everyone) having some sort of military connection, support wasn't always there...
I think the idea of conscription has always been more popular as a Canadian mess-talk  subject than it ever really was amongst the people who actually got conscripted.

Besides, you have to decide what kind of an army you need, based on what it's likely to do. Conscription  gives you a cheaper, bigger and more socially representative force, but with much less corporate knowledge and overall lower training levels. A professional long-service volunteer force gives you a smaller but per capita far more expensive force that is probably much less connected to society, but is much more experienced and probably better trained, and therefore more flexible.

The first is good for home defence, and the latter for expeditionary operations. Since our military history (and probably our near future, anyway...) has been almost totally expeditionary since we became a country, I don't think conscription would serve us well.

When it's the norm, it's hard to think of something different, I now quite a few Singaporeans who believe it's the glue holding them together. A common memory/experience that can be shared across the country.

Colin P said:
When it's the norm, it's hard to think of something different, I now quite a few Singaporeans who believe it's the glue holding them together. A common memory/experience that can be shared across the country.

Kind of like Rob Ford then?  ;D

Rob Ford was in Norway for a Cold Weather Combat Exercise?

Loachman said:
Rob Ford was in Norway for a Cold Weather Combat Exercise?

No, no...it's a bar called "Norway". Right next to Biermarkt.  100 drafts on tap up front, 50 kinds of crack in the washroom.

pbi said:
No, no...it's a bar called "Norway". Right next to Biermarkt.  100 drafts on tap up front, 50 kinds of crack in the washroom.

rob-ford-meme.jpg

Back