• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian troops engage Taliban for second day

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Canadian troops engage Taliban for second day
Updated Tue. May. 8 2007 9:02 PM ET CTV.ca News Staff
Article Link

Canadian soldiers fought a fierce battle against the Taliban on Tuesday for the second day in a row, alongside soldiers from the Afghan National Army.

In Nalgham, about 35 kilometres south-west of Kandahar city, members of Hotel company made their way over mud walls and through waist-high water, as militants shot at them with rocket-propelled grenades and small arms fire.

The company's commander, Maj. Alex Ruff, told CTV News the battle has gone well.

"Well, so far, and keep your fingers crossed, we haven't lost anybody and there are a lot less Taliban running around," he said.

Initial estimates suggested 23 militants were killed in the firefight.

But Ruff has reason to be cautious. On April 8, he lost six soldiers to an improvised explosive device: Cpl. Brent Poland, Master Cpl. Christopher Stannix, Sgt. Don Lucas, Cpl. Aaron Williams, Pte. Kevin Kennedy and Pte. David Greenslade.

Soldiers are trying to train Afghan troops so they can eventually take up the war against the Taliban, allowing Canadians to focus on a supporting role when engaging the enemy.

On Tuesday, Afghan army members fought on the front line in Nalgham, using similar weapons as the Taliban and with the same expert knowledge of the landscape.

The Taliban are now using poppy fields to their advantage. It's near the end of Afghanistan's poppy harvesting season, and insurgents are using the long stems to hide from coalition forces.

But Canadian soldiers, far better trained, are using the Taliban's tactics against them.
More on link

Good to hear there were no Cdn casualties.  My buddy's leave was over last Friday so he should be back with H Coy already, makes reading/watching the news a bit different. 

Best of luck to your comrade Garret, hope they keep on delivering the news to the Taliban.

we're in for a few days, the last few have been a little hectic. But we got er done.  The sound of a rpg going overhead is a sound i won't soon forget.

As usual, good show, and stay safe...

J-Swift said:
we're in for a few days, the last few have been a little hectic. But we got er done.  The sound of a rpg going overhead is a sound i won't soon forget.

Quite the sound indeed, WHOOSSSHH.

Had several 102mm rockets fly overhead too, there's a sound I never want to hear again. Stay safe Swift.

Back