• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Sniper Sets Longest Shot Record

George Wallace said:
I don't think they are smart enough to be 'evil'.

Perhaps you can do me a great favour though; WTF exactly is this "Escalator Tax" on beer they dreamt up?  Will we soon see a 200% Tax on beer?

The federal excise tax on alcohol hasn't changed since 1990.  It was this year raised 5 cents, and will continue to increase with inflation, just live most everything else in the world.

Underway said:
This story is similar.  A record breaking shot fighting the good fight is something too crow about.  Where, when, how are not in the briefing and I think this is a good balance.  The public needs to know what their troops are doing, especially when they are doing things right.

Not if you're trying to avoid getting sucked into a conflict where your public/ politicians aren't willing to back you up.

For the US, escalation in the Vietnam conflict got started with a few 'perimeter patrols' around air bases, by Air Force guys (one of whom was a Canadian in the USAF, who I know, that was a sniper/ sharpshooter).

Clearly can be construed as an OPSEC violation.  Having managed a few OPSEC programs this would have never have been approved from the perspective of TTPs, capabilities etc.

But I guess when your Commander is a Publicity Whoore savvy brand salesman, anything is up for auction. 

devil39 said:
Clearly can be construed as an OPSEC violation.  Having managed a few OPSEC programs this would have never have been approved from the perspective of TTPs, capabilities etc.

But I guess when your Commander is a Publicity Whoore savvy brand salesman, anything is up for auction.
Of which 'Commander' do you speak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devil39 said:

The largest enemy to the CAF after our own politicos is our own policy.  OPSEC is a policy.  Often its taken from old and out of date previous existing policies, with little application to modern technology or understanding of current media.  Risk management in these cases moves to risk aversion which has a positive feedback into to much and bad policy. 

There is nothing released here that was a violation of anything but the most overly stringent and anal retentive narrow minded of OPSEC.  It happened a few months ago (time relevance), they didn't say the place.  The range, capability, TTP's of sniper rifles and sniper teams are open source and can be found on any number of websites or TV shows, and most of the media reports of the incident interview former snipers to get a better explanation than what was provided by the military.  Hell we talk about them here on any number of threads.  The names of the people involved was not released.  There appears to be no threat to a currently running operation or the persons involved, nor anything resembling significant impact on future operations. 

No, not an OPSEC violation. Just risk management instead of risk aversion.  We need more of it.

I also think we'd want it out in the open that our snipers can make shots out to 3.5km... kinda influences the enemy's decision making a little bit.

I have a feeling this is less about the shot or OPSEC, than devil39 having a personal bias against CANSOF/MGen Rouleau.

Underway said:
The largest enemy to the CAF after our own politicos is our own policy.  OPSEC is a policy.  Often its taken from old and out of date previous existing policies, with little application to modern technology or understanding of current media.  Risk management in these cases moves to risk aversion which has a positive feedback into to much and bad policy. 

There is nothing released here that was a violation of anything but the most overly stringent and anal retentive narrow minded of OPSEC.  It happened a few months ago (time relevance), they didn't say the place.  The range, capability, TTP's of sniper rifles and sniper teams are open source and can be found on any number of websites or TV shows, and most of the media reports of the incident interview former snipers to get a better explanation than what was provided by the military.  Hell we talk about them here on any number of threads.  The names of the people involved was not released.  There appears to be no threat to a currently running operation or the persons involved, nor anything resembling significant impact on future operations. 

No, not an OPSEC violation. Just risk management instead of risk aversion.  We need more of it.

Dangerous statement to make seeing that we exist at the behest of those politicos.  Not trying to flame anyone here but revealing his information directly challenges the Government's assertion that we are just "advising and assisting". 

It's a pretty slippery slope we are on right now.  Luckily, nobody really likes Dae'sh but we need to be cognizant of mission creep.  As has been mentioned many times on this before:

"Events, dear boy, events"

We occasionally lend the Kurds a Todd Bertuzzi to help Markus Naslund out, got it  ;D

Another bad guy sent to the hot place. They don't respond well to hugs and tea.

NavyShooter said:
Fired a Timberwolf at 700m, and planted 3 hits in a nice tight group. 

Looked at their culmination point data, and their elevations are just about half of what .308 match does, so their 'dangerous space' is much longer.

Culmination point on a .308 at 800m is about +9.5 Mils I recall.  Their .338 was +5 Mils. 

I've pondered the 'new ammo' option as well, and the numbers I put in up higher leave me pondering that a lot.  The retained velocity and drop on a standard round at 3500m is just....incredible.  Like I said, the dangerous space is sooooo tiny, like on the order of 30 feet.  A 15 foot mis-range (that's 5 meters off) at that distance equals a miss.

Unless there's something magical (or really new/different) about the ballistics of the round they fired.

And there's the issue of the target remaining in a static position for the TOF. They must have had very good eyes on him and some good information about his capacity, which seems to be confirmed by the acknowledgement of video of the events. All safety checks must have been in place, because in that amount of time the intended target may be replaced by some other unfortunate soul walking through the line of shot. Perhaps the target was another sniper himself....   

Jarnhamar said:
Maybe the sniper used DARPA's homing bullets...

I was thinking about those magic bullets.  Should one be used for a long distance hello like this, how would that effect the record per se?  Would a bullet that isn't just down to the skill of the sniper once it leaves the muzzle still be valid or is it cheating to some degree?

If that's the case, then the company that developed EXACTO for DARPA has a most appropriate trademark logo: Teledyne Scientific and Imaging- "Everywhereyoulook(TM)"    :nod:

PuckChaser said:
I also think we'd want it out in the open that our snipers can make shots out to 3.5km... kinda influences the enemy's decision making a little bit.

I have a feeling this is less about the shot or OPSEC, than devil39 having a personal bias against CANSOF/MGen Rouleau.

Very bold PuckChaser.... But seriously it is nothing personal.  I really like CANSOF.

If I met the aforementioned person on the street we'd shake hands, probably have a beer, and I'd be able tell him the same to his face.  He's heard worse from me. 

Jarnhamar said:
Maybe the sniper used DARPA's homing bullets...

Well...

As I recall, one of the sniper's main weapons is observation and they can use everything available on the battlefield, including atry and fast air so, in this circumstance, I'm guessing that nothing else was available and you could therefore probably call this achievement a sound 'Plan B'.  [:D

devil39 said:
  He's heard worse from me.
No one who knows you doubts that.  Shyness, or an overly sensitive brain-mouth filter, have never been issues.  ;D

Back