• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian no-fly list?

Brett2692

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
Im just wondering, how would someone know if they are on the Canadian no-fly list or not?

I used to work for an airline (not Air Canada). The way it works is that if your name is on the no-fly list, it comes up on the screen after your passport is scanned or your ID is brought up as part of your reservation. You will never be told that you are on the no-fly list.

Brett2692 said:
Hello Everyone,
Im just wondering, how would someone know if they are on the Canadian no-fly list or not?

I guess the first question would be to ask yourself if you fit nicely into one of the three categories that can end you up designated as a Specified Person as part of Canada's Passenger Protect Program.  They are:

*  An individual who is or has been involved in a terrorist group, and who, it can reasonably be suspected, will endanger the security of any aircraft or aerodrome or the safety of the public, passengers or crew members

* An individual who has been convicted of one or more serious and life-threatening crimes against aviation security

* An individual who has been convicted or one or more serious and life-threatening offenses and who may attack or harm an air carrier, passengers or crew members.

If not your are most probably not on the list. 

The only way to know for sure it to try flying and see what happens. If you try and they will not let you fly, and you cannot figure out why (or which one of the three categories above you fit into) then contact:

Transport Canada
Office of Reconsideration (ADR)
Place de Ville, Tower C
330 Sparks Street
Ottawa ON K1A 0N5
Telephone: 1-866-651-3078
E-mail: reconsideration-reexamen@tc.gc.ca

They will let you know the problem and why and/or resolve the problem in the event an error as been made.

Cheers,

MC

UnrulyCanuck said:
I used to work for an airline (not Air Canada). The way it works is that if your name is on the no-fly list, it comes up on the screen after your passport is scanned or your ID is brought up as part of your reservation. You will never be told that you are on the no-fly list.

What kind of explanation would you get from Air Canada, then, if you tried to buy a ticket and were on the list?

Brett2692 said:
Hello Everyone,

Why? Do you think you are/were on it?

Neill McKay said:
What kind of explanation would you get from Air Canada, then, if you tried to buy a ticket and were on the list?

- Their explanation office only has one person left in it, and her priority is trying to explain why everyone flying Air Canada from the North Island of New Zealand to the South Island of New Zealand has to land at the bloody Comrade bloody Pearson bloody Airport in bloody Toronto in between to change planes.

Interesting dilemna.  Have we had a legal case like this in Canada yet?

I can understand why someone would want to know... we had a member going on TD and when he hit the counter to get his boarding pass he was denied his flight as he was  on the no fly list, at least he found out while going on TD not while he was standing there with his family heading to a warm spot in the winter.  In the end, he was not able to fly that day and he ended up dealing with Transport Canada to get his name removed (took two weeks or so)

Listen,

Nothing is perfect, especially federally regulated name lists.  Anyone at anytime could end up on the No Fly list for reasons other than described above.  One fellow I was dealing with (IT Professional) shared the same name (first, middle, last), same birthday (day and year) and lived in the same city as another fellow and was unknowingly on the no fly list.  One was a horrible criminal and the other (my guy) was a saint.  The Saint was on the No Fly list and the horrible criminal wasn't and had to prove he wasn't a criminal by doing a full background clearance including finger prints.  He was actually fired from a job from TD Bank because of the same issue (silly TD started him on job before full check was cleared) - they eventually re-instated him.

So in short - No Fly list is not perfect and it's even harder to clear your name.

J

Back