• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian military could be left in lurch

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Canadian military could be left in lurch
By PETER WORTHINGTON 8th September 2009
Article Link

The "war" in Afghanistan is getting more lethal.

An increasing number are saying it can't be won and we should not only get out, but we should never have committed troops in the first place.

It was only a couple of years ago that this was the predominant view of Americans about Iraq. Even diehard Republican supporters of George W. Bush were urging him to dump Iraq as a lost cause -- as former president Richard Nixon dumped Vietnam for "peace with honour." That was before Gen. David Petraeus persuaded Bush to launch the "surge," which, as we now know, was successful. Despite incidents, Iraq today is not the epitome of instability and anarchy it once was.

As for Afghanistan, it is President Barack Obama's war. As White House press secretary Robert Gibbs acknowledged: "You can't under-resource the most important part of our war on terror . . . for five or six or seven years . . . and hope to snap your fingers and have that turn around in just a few months."

In the past six months, what Obama once called a "good war" in Afghanistan has gotten worse. Bush cannot be blamed, because it wasn't this bad when he was immersed in Iraq. Canada is withdrawing from a combat role by 2011, primarily because we have to. The small size of our army demands it; our soldiers and equipment are exhausted.

Repeated tours of duty by our soldiers are unfair and unreasonable. Senior NCOs and junior officers leaving the army is a growing concern.

Yet for the army, the government's shift in emphasis has to be disturbing. It's almost as if Prime Minister Stephen Harper got elected by latching on to the army as a popular cause with Canadian voters.

That has changed ever since Rick Hillier left as chief of defence staff, replaced by Walter Natynczyk, who makes no waves and doesn't say boo in public. Hillier was always sounding off and had opinions that resonated.

Drifting

So it would seem that politically we are drifting back to the 1990s and beyond, with the military seen as something to downplay. Noble sentiments and promises are mostly rhetoric, and it's a fair bet that mechanized equipment that is in Afghanistan now will likely stay there. Or won't be replaced when our troops are mostly back home.

As for Afghanistan, critics who deplore the warlords and endemic corruption miss the point. These have always existed in Afghanistan -- a country of varying tribes and clans, where warlords are like the feudal lords who once ruled Europe.

Our concern for Afghanistan should be the elimination of the Taliban, who are not al-Qaida and pose no threat to the CN Tower, stock exchange building or a future terrorist attack.

The Taliban are a threat to ordinary Afghans, whom our troops are trying to protect. It is not NATO's, America's or Canada's role to introduce democracy as a way of life. Fine if it happens, but in the meantime help Afghanistan with an infrastructure (military and police) that can combat and withstand Taliban extremism.

Warlords have always thrived in Afghanistan, and it's unrealistic to suppose this can be changed by outside intervention and not from within the country.

Afghanistan is now America's problem.

Canada's problem will be maintaining our military's capabilities after Afghanistan -- something our political leaders seem to have lost interest in doing.
End

good read,  don't know what to say about the article, it personally frustrates me.  not going to try and start a debate on it because personally I have never been their, I am a future soldier myself if all goes well.  To all those who have risked their lives and for those who have fallen trying to make Afghanistan a better place, does pulling out in 2011 show a lack of confidence in the current mission? Lack of respect?

I guess what I am trying to get at is in my honest opinion, we should stay.

I have nothing but the greatest respect for our soldiers no matter what...for all those currently in the military, I appreciate everything you guys have done and every sacrifice youv all made.

This guy brings up quite a few points, many of which are common knowledge by now. He does play down the threat of the Taliban however as being a threat still(in my opinion). Yes they may be a bunch of ragtag fighters in small bands terrorizing their own people or farmers paid to plant bombs from a financier in Saudi Arabia, but the head Taliban figures are known to have fled to parts of Pakistan ie. Swat Valley/Waziristan areas in which Alqaida is also operating freely with public support. They are pissed off and spreading their radicalism to the younger uneducated boys in the madrasas and are creating a generation of hate. I am no political analyst in the least I must say, and although the capabilities of this new generation of hate that is being produced probably for the most part won't be able to reach North America, they will still try. And there will be more of them. And the Taliban or pseudo-Taliban will be back and in bigger, more pissed off numbers.

Back