• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian GATS, whats the go?

Trooper Hale

Inactive
Reaction score
Just a quick one, I'm wondering wat you Canucks go for with your weapons. I mean clearly the M-16 but do you use minimi's, Mag 58's, .30 cals etc. I'm coming to Canada on friday, hopefully to go on exchange with RCD. People probably know this but we Aussies use the Austeyr of a few different varieties, the minimi as our section weapon tho theres some talk of bringing back the Mag 58, just to get that extra bang and work those arm muscles lugging the thing around. We've got the Browning 9mm as our sidearm as some may know after the dig over in Iraq shot himself with it. Be good to hear some feedback,
Cheers fellers,
Haley

Trooper Hale,

First of all welcome to Army.ca!  I'm going to leave the answering of your question to someone with more expertise than me, however I will make the friendly suggestion that on this site you don't refer to weapons as "gats".  You will not be very well received around here that way. 

Just out of curiosity what Browning sidearm is it that you are issued?  I was under the distinct impression that the Americans were issued Berettas.

Cheers,

Planes

I_Drive_Planes:
I get the distinct impression that Trooper Hale is from Australia.

He is...

Tpr H:  M-16A2 (C-7 in Canada, modified to C-7A1/A2), M-16 Carbine (called a C-8 here, modified to C-8A1 and other varieties), MAG-58 (called a C-6 here), Minimi (called a C-9 here), .50 cal, 25mm (turret same as AUSLAV), Browning 9mm, Carl Gustav, Eryx ATGM...  There's more, of course, but that's the basics.

Gramps said:
I_Drive_Planes:
I get the distinct impression that Trooper Hale is from Australia.

Oops, my appologies, after re-reading his post I can't quite figure out how I got the idea that he was an American.

Planes

I_Drive_Planes said:
Oops, my appologies, after re-reading his post I can't quite figure out how I got the idea that he was an American.

Planes

Probably because he used the word "gat"... ;D

We'r almost as anti-Yank as you chaps but that doesnt mean we can rip off a word or two from them! We say "Gat's" like a professional would say "tools" and you've got to admit, when its said without your arms waving around and a shirt that 15 sizes to big it sounds a lot more professional then gun. Also our accents kill off any Americanisation of the word, for us its just short for Gatling and thats as good a nickname as any when it comes to talking about a wide range of small arms. Anything you can carry is a Gat, up to the MAG58. Think about it! Hopefully it makes sense! haha. I'm coming over tomorrow, hopefully starting exchange start of next month with a certain armoured regi near Ottawa. And thanks for all the responses, i reckon its good to know wat your getting yourself into, It seems the basics are the same as we have, except for the C-7, wat do you fellers reckon its like to a Steyr? The boys here reckon the Steyr's got a lot more going for it but then i've no experiance with the M16/C7/C8. It'd be nice to hear your feedback
:salute:
Haley

i did a little studing up on the steyr.. now im not exactly sure if we are on the same page with the steyr.. but if its the gun im thinking of. then id say the c-7 is superior

but i think the decision is based on personal preferance... still it shoulod be double checked by some1 who knows more then me

Trooper Hale said:
We'r almost as anti-Yank as you chaps but that doesnt mean we can rip off a word or two from them!
we are not Anti-Yank. We have some asshats among us that suffer from the affliction, but the majority of us are not, especially in the military. We spend a great of time working with American forces, and have a good working relationship with them.

the C-7, wat do you fellers reckon its like to a Steyr? The boys here reckon the Steyr's got a lot more going for it but then i've no experiance with the M16/C7/C8. It'd be nice to hear your feedback
I like Auggie-doggie, but I prefer our C7. It just feels more comfortable to me.

Whats it like to strip the C-7? And are you just using open sights?
BTW Langevin have you fired the C7? I read somewhere that you've not yet joined up yet. Just wondering, i mean its all good and well to say the C7's better but if you've never fired the bugger its a bit unqualified.
I suppose its all down to what your used to as Paracowboy said and to him i'm sorry about the Anti-Yank crack, you've probably got more experiance then me but the ones i met last year were, if you dont mind me saying, arrogent idiots. They had this theory that we owed them something, and after 9 days out bush i was feeling pretty short of patiance.
But yeah...anyway, i'm sure you'd love the Steyr para, shes a beauty to shoot and just feels like a great, comfortable rifle (I'm still going to call it a Gat! I've an accent, it doesnt sound gangsta at all from me).

Trooper Hale said:
BTW Langevin have you fired the C7? I read somewhere that you've not yet joined up yet. Just wondering, i mean its all good and well to say the C7's better but if you've never fired the bugger its a bit unqualified.

No im not in the CF.. yet . I was just compairing stats and what ive read

No worries, good luck getting in, it seems to be a hell of an ordeal from what i've read here. Everyones saying they've been waiting for an offer for 15 years and is now a grizzly old man.
I suppose we'r very different, i chose a job that i really wanted to do (Armoured Corp Crewman driver M113A1) and was lucky enough that that they had shortages. I went in, did my first paper signing the week after my 17th birthday, waited 2 months for a response, then did my pych, medical & aptitude test, with the Interview last. Next day did the fitness test and then another month before I got told i'd been accepted, a week later I was sworn in...With a mullet! and went to basic training that day.
You guys seem to have a really slow process compared to that, but thats just what I've noticed, could be wrong.
I'm still with the Steyr btw, i cant think of anything beating the girl, shes accurate, durable, light and simple. But i've never been near a C7 or C6 so i dont know how to compare them.

Well, the C7 and the C9 are both equiped with an Elcan 3.4x optical sight with a tritium laced aiming post so you can see the tip of the aiming post at night. As far as shooting the Aug, never have, but it has a longer barrel in a short length weapon so in theory it's more accurate and stable. I can't say for certain as ive never fired the aug. I really like the C7 though. Works well, easy to maintain.

Hope this answers some questions. Welcome to Canada, when you arrive. Maybe we can exchange tips cause im going to Australia next December, like we talked about. Talk to ya later buddy.

Edit: You'll love the C6! 7.62mm of power baby, yah! lol. I love it. Favourite tool in the box.

The Aussies have the C6.Mag-58 BTW

Keep in mind the Aussie SASR use the C8SFW and other variants of the M16 FOW --  ;)  so you can figure where the Steyr Aug/F88whatever fits in

Touche KevinB. Righto about the SAS weapons. I have pics of Aussies with Diemaco weapons. I thought aussies had mag58's, but Hale's post seemed like they didn't.

Well, the C7 and the C9 are both equiped with an Elcan 3.4x optical sight with a tritium laced aiming post so you can see the tip of the aiming post at night.

Yes... what a glorious idea that was. You can see the aiming post at night... you just cant see what you're shooting at, lol.

Whoa there little pony! I Think i mentioned that we use the Mag 58, if i didnt i'll whip myself, that brown bessy is my baby and i truly love her (translated, i use a Mag wherever possible and i have a truly deep appreciation for the firepower it lays down)! (I've been at a pub tonight, bare with me). The SAS use the M203/M16 as a general rule because its a better gun then the Steyr, more uses in way of accesories etc, those of us who simply need a brilliant gun to shoot bad guys use the Steyr AUG. If you ever get the chance KevinB use a F88, like i've said before she is awesome, light, accurate, and simple great just because the SASR use a different PDW doesnt mean that the steyr is hopeless, it is anything but. I like the steyr because the weapon is fantastic and hopefully when i qual on C6 ("You had me at 7.62") and C7 I'll be properly able to compare the pair for you all. Cpl Massecar, if your in Petawawa or even Ottawa I'll shout you numourous beers just to hear about the C7 and to give you tips on Aus. All i need is a mobile/cell number from you. I take it you call the Mag the C6 over here? i thought the C6 was a different version of the C7.

Back