• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Canadian Forces warns members affiliated with radical groups"

captloadie said:
I don't think that the restriction is meant to keep individuals from joining LEGAL organizations, regardless of what that organization holds as its values. The orders being given are that you are not to be identified as CAF member when doing so. So, if I want to join PETA, Greenpeace, the CPC, or the Arian Brotherhood, I must ensure that I don't identify as a CAF member, which means I don't show up to meetings/events, etc. sporting my uniform, ship's ballcap, DND parking pass, etc. Any mail goes to my off base address, and my social media accounts don't have any identifiers (pics, groups, links, etc.) to the CAF.

The bigger issue is whether an individual can truly integrate the CAF values with their own personal beliefs.

The bigger issue is people have proven they can't hence why the directive came out.  I feel you are making an assumption, unless you can correct me with a link to facts, because  As for the aryan brotherhood annallogy, they are not considered a legal friendly group one can join to talkabout knitting white doilies. They are a White Supremacist Prison Gang, and I feel they would fall under the term "Radical".

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/qc/pub/sn-ns/ge-eg-eng.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aryan_Brotherhood

dileas

tess

Colin P said:
Nowadays just belonging is enough, if the link is made by others by searching social media and the brass are questioned on it.

That has always been the case. Once upon a time 'they' rounded up 'malcontents' on the basis of membership lists kept by various fringe organizations, you know, like those confounded Bolsheviks!

mariomike said:
I don't know what the "Legal" definition would be, but who would want to join?

Proud Boys was founded by a man named Gavin McInnes,
https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/1.777711

I find Gavin McInnes insufferable. His shitty articles are the reason I stopped reading The Rebel even in passing.  His articles seem to cater more to (an amateur) Howard Stern shock value attempt and less to journalism.

You ask who would want to join though. When the Proud Boys first surfaced after the protest incident I recall one of their mission statements or whatever was something to do white males being fed up at being blamed for everything wrong in the world.  I'm pretty sure that same message, at least in part, is what catered to a lot of US voters in the last election.

Jarnhamar said:
When the Proud Boys first surfaced after the protest incident I recall one of their mission statements or whatever was something to do white males being fed up at being blamed for everything wrong in the world.  I'm pretty sure that same message, at least in part, is what catered to a lot of US voters in the last election.

Obama Derangement Syndrome ( ODS ) ?  :)

Attachments

• ods.jpg
    ods.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 174
Contrary to what the article says, Col Boivin is the 5 CMBG commander and not the base commander but, otherwise, here is his take on why he is not directly taking action against brigade members who may have joined La Meute on Facebook:
CFB Valcartier commander disapproves of far-right group La Meute but won't tell soldiers to quit
'What we see goes against our code of conduct,' says Col. Stéphane Boivin, but he can't legally investigate
18 Dec 2017
Catou MacKinnon
CBC News

The commander of Canadian Forces Base Valcartier says the values of people in the far-right Facebook group La Meute are in direct contradiction to those of the military, but he's not about to order soldiers to leave the group.

La Meute — which mean wolf pack in French — takes the position that Quebec's policies of immigration and cultural diversity threaten Quebec society, and its members are particularly worried about Islamic fundamentalism making inroads in the province.

In an exclusive interview with CBC/Radio-Canada, Col. Stéphane Boivin said the group's values and ideology, from what he has seen in the media and in recent protests in Quebec City, contradict the Armed Forces' code of conduct.

"The Armed Forces are about integration, diversity, freedom of speech, freedom of culture, freedom of religion, freedom of sexual orientation," said Boivin.

"Some of those groups that have ideas and ideologies which are against the Canadian Armed Forces' approach, they are certainly not entertained."

But he said he doesn't believe he has to single out the group specifically and order people to leave it.

"They all understand which groups are not reflecting the Canadian values. It could be La Meute, it could be another, I don't need to be specific."

Since a November investigation by Radio-Canada into the "members-only" section of the online group, 20 members of the Canadian Armed Forces have left the group and 50 remain.

"I'm certainly happy that you can confirm that people have left, because they realized it was not the right thing to do," said Boivin.

He said soldiers who want to take part in a political, social or networking group need to ask permission from the Force's director of ethics, who in turn acts on his recommendation.

Boivin said he would never recommend a request to join La Meute, and he's received no such requests to date.

Boivin took command of CFB Valcartier, about 25 kilometres northwest of Quebec City, in June 2017.

It's the fifth time he has been posted to the base, and he said he's never heard anyone make disparaging remarks about Muslims.

Boivin said when he took over at Valcartier, he spoke to each unit about his philosophy of command, telling soldiers they were expected to follow the 2012 Code of Conduct.

Boivin said he has sent a clear message to those under his command — some of whom will be deployed to Muslim countries such as Iraq over the next 18 months.

"I didn't have to mention the Meute, I did explain what I was expecting. I had nothing specific to say about the Meute itself, just groups in general."

Boivin added it's impossible for him, or anyone in the Armed Forces, to investigate what groups soldiers belong to unless someone brings it to their attention and supplies them with a name.

"Collecting intelligence is illegal from an open-source domain for the Canadian Armed Forces, according to a regulation established in 2014," he said.

If the Armed Forces finds someone has infringed the code of conduct, that person is subject to administrative and disciplinary measures, up to and including a court martial, he said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/cfb-valcartier-meute-investigate-1.4452235

"Collecting intelligence is illegal from an open-source domain for the Canadian Armed Forces, according to a regulation established in 2014," he said.

What regulation is this one, exactly?

"The Armed Forces are about integration, diversity, freedom of speech, freedom of culture, freedom of religion, freedom of sexual orientation,"

::)

Eye In The Sky said:
What regulation is this one, exactly?

Perhaps this one...
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/AnnualStatutes/2014_17/

It appears to be the only 2014 update remotely related to his comments, but I still don't see what he means.

Jarnhamar said:

Why the eye roll? The CAF should absolutely stand for all of those things for two reasons- first, our society does and we represent them not vice versa. Second, we want the best soldiers and that includes all those groups.

He said soldiers who want to take part in a political, social or networking group need to ask permission from the Force's director of ethics, who in turn acts on his recommendation.

This is something new to me...

Bird_Gunner45 said:
Why the eye roll? The CAF should absolutely stand for all of those things for two reasons- first, our society does and we represent them not vice versa. Second, we want the best soldiers and that includes all those groups.

-It sounded like a typical canned response to me.
-As an organization we may fight FOR freedom of speech but I don't see our members enjoying it all that much (see Strikes post).  I'm quite confident I'll be published for "liking" the wrong thing on Facebook.
-I find it hypocritical that we'll condemn or investigate members for belonging to these groups  (as dumb as they are I find personally) yet give a free pass to a religion who's teachings drastically conflict the whole freedom of culture, sexual orientation, diversity stuff.

In hindsight Im surprised and impressed by how the CAF is handling this.

History, including modern, is replete with organizations that were outlawed because of government bias. Masons and Knight Templar come to mind. Even today, Masons are penalized and outcast in some societies. Leaving the government to decide who you can and cannot associate with is dangerous.

And whoever decided that being, Canadian, white, proud and patriotic is some sort of plague that people can't voice an opinion about.

recceguy said:
And whoever decided that being, Canadian, white, proud and patriotic is some sort of plague that people can't voice an opinion about.
Constance Backhouse ( the Honourable). And Rosie Abella. And Justin Trudeau. And many boot licking cuck generals, police chiefs, etc.
People want to talk about powerless and semi stateless. Talk to a white blue collar man of any age in this country. #truthisevil

Cloud Cover said:
Constance Backhouse ( the Honourable). And Rosie Abella. And Justin Trudeau. And many boot licking cuck generals, police chiefs, etc.
People want to talk about powerless and semi stateless. Talk to a white blue collar man of any age in this country. #truthisevil

A quick read of my political posts will leave no doubt about where I stand on those.

The real issue is who, exactly, is defining what is a "radical" group? As we see in a different context, Laurier University allowed a Maoist "Struggle Session" to be undertaken against TA Lindsey Shepherd because she failed to "denounce" Professor Jordan Peterson prior to showing a 2 minute clip of him debating another person on a TVO show. Now imagine people with this mindset looking at who you associate with or what you say or do.....

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/christie-blatchford-thought-police-strike-again-as-wilfrid-laurier-grad-student-is-chastised-for-showing-jordan-peterson-video

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/christie-blatchford-investigators-report-into-wilfrid-laurier-universit-vindicates-lindsay-shepherd

recceguy said:
A quick read of my political posts will leave no doubt about where I stand on those.

I don't have to do that. I met you once.  I think the only thing I didn't agree on was what you were drinking, which appeared to be some sort of old tank engine oil  :cheers:

recceguy said:
History, including modern, is replete with organizations that were outlawed because of government bias. Masons and Knight Templar come to mind. Even today, Masons are penalized and outcast in some societies. Leaving the government to decide who you can and cannot associate with is dangerous.

I dont think that anyone is saying that you can't be "Canadian, white, proud, and patriotic" what I think they're saying is that if you want to be a member of le meute do so outside of the CAF. The CAF, after all, isn't a right- like any other employer.

"An investigation by Radio-Canada found about 75 members of La Meute's private Facebook group are part of the Armed Forces, with some visibly identified by their military uniform."

Regarding Facebook, if applying to certain employers,

"Oakville ( ON ) resident Rob MacLeod had breezed through the early stages of the interview process and become a finalist for a police job when he was lobbed a question he hadn’t anticipated:

What is your Facebook password?"
https://www.thestar.com/business/2012/03/20/would_you_reveal_your_facebook_password_for_a_job.html

"So when the request came, MacLeod offered to log in to his Facebook account and then leave the room so the interviewer could browse his page.

But he says the interviewer remained firm — he wanted the password. After a few minutes, MacLeod gave it to him."

I've also heard of some emergency services interviewers asking applicants to "friend" them on Facebook.

Back