• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces' senior brass have been growing at a much faster rate...

Since, in battle, the role of the RSM of an Artillery Regiment is ammo management, it may actually be instructive to have a Sup Tech background CWO in that role.

Where things go pear-shaped is the technical oversight of the NCMs as gunners. Currently, most (all?) Reg Force Artillery Regt RSMs are also Master Gunners, which means that when the CO or a Battery Sargeant Major looks to the RSM for technical advice on gunnery, they can get it.

Infanteer said:
There are now 5 tiers: Tactical Leadership Team, Tactical Post-Unit Leadership Team, Post-Tactical Leadership Team, Strategic Leadership Team, and CFCWO.  The MES IP states that there will be a pay review, with each tier possibly getting its own pay scale.

The MES IP is ambiguous on how a MWO gets moved into his or her first appointment at the unit level.  I tried reading through it, but its built on some complex assessment model.  From my understanding, it is feasible that an Artillery Regiment could end up with a CWO from, say, a Supp Tech background as an RSM.  Perhaps somebody else familiar with the change could elaborate.

Please tell me that this is just a nightmare on your part. Surely we don't have people at the top who would even consider that at this level, RSM in a combat arms or support unit is just a career appointment that can be filled by an "any" CWO with the right check boxes on his resume. That's wrong on so many levels.

:not-again:

SeaKingTacco said:
Since, in battle, the role of the RSM of an Artillery Regiment is ammo management, it may actually be instructive to have a Sup Tech background CWO in that role.

Where things go pear-shaped is the technical oversight of the NCMs as gunners. Currently, most (all?) Reg Force Artillery Regt RSMs are also Master Gunners, which means that when the CO or a Battery Sargeant Major looks to the RSM for technical advice on gunnery, they can get it.

Two of the stated duties of the RSM in an artillery regiment are to "maintain a high order of discipline and advise the CO on matters pertaining to Non-Commissioned Members; . . . assist the RCPO in maintaining a uniformly high standard of gun drill;". I would suggest that the combination of these functions mandates that the RSM must have an intimate knowledge and experience of the tasks and duties of all gunners within the unit including all NCM and junior officer positions. I would expect that these responsibilities/requirements are identical to any armour, infantry or engineer unit and probably most army units.

:cheers:

Possibly.  There is some system of management that considers "environmental competencies," which is, I assume, the mechanism for putting new CWO/CPO1 in a position relevant to their previous MOSID experience.  Someone better familiar with the system would have to confirm.

FJAG said:
Please tell me that this is just a nightmare on your part. Surely we don't have people at the top who would even consider that at this level, RSM in a combat arms or support unit is just a career appointment that can be filled by an "any" CWO with the right check boxes on his resume. That's wrong on so many levels.

:not-again:

My Infantry unit has had a non-Infantry CO and non-Infantry RSM at one time.

Let's just say that it didn't go well... for us mostly  ::)

Navy_Pete said:
Notice in Ottawa that the GOFOs/ Chiefs that do that seem to be a lot more relaxed than the micromanagers; they can give general direction and make decisions, but otherwise stay out of the weeds unless things start going off the rails. They also tend to take the time to mentor people and explain some of their thought process, which takes a bunch of effort, but seems to result in more capable subordinates, so makes it easier in the long run. 
^^^  Just wanted to repeat this.... and note that it's not an "Ottawa" or necessarily a "GOFO/Chief" thing.  :nod:

Infanteer said:
If that were true, than why the increase in 50% in a decade?  Was something not functioning during the height of our Afghan War?

Can you tell us? Honest question.

Journeyman said:
^^^  Just wanted to repeat this.... and note that it's not an "Ottawa" or necessarily a "GOFO/Chief" thing.  :nod:

Fully agree, GOFO/Chief was more under the lines of the discussions, but it's a good general leadership practice.

Never dealt with the GOFOs on the coast, but generally interact with them a lot more here (from briefings to casual chats in the coffee line). Sure it's similar in operational lines but they are a bit more insulated through the CoC structure.  Maybe it's a function of everything in Ottawa being matrixed?

Navy_Pete said:
Maybe it's a function of everything in Ottawa being matrixed?
You mean a make-believe world, disconnected from reality, where your posting message doesn't come with the red pill?  :whistle:

Journeyman said:
You mean a make-believe world, disconnected from reality, where your posting message doesn't come with the red pill?  :whistle:

Between your post and signature block, one would almost think you were familiar with the NCR!  :nod:

Journeyman said:

Reality is overrated!  Why worry about operational effectiveness when there are new pieces of flair to design, or placemats to build.  Please fill out the form and we'll get back to you in 5-10 business days*

*not a guarantee

Spectrum said:
….one would almost think you were familiar with the NCR!  :nod:
Posted there once, and not ashamed to admit that I went crawling to a 'regimental godfather' to escape the Career Manager's pending second round.  :nod:

Interesting article:

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/defense-main/2018/10/about-10-percent-of-flag-officer-positions-can-be-replaced-by-lower-grades-study-says/amp/?__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR0nyi7q3rXc7sAxNOC9O4hLooVh_trVMawrYonOXscurAOoRem6bJlKA0E

Halifax Tar said:
Interesting article:

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/defense-main/2018/10/about-10-percent-of-flag-officer-positions-can-be-replaced-by-lower-grades-study-says/amp/?__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR0nyi7q3rXc7sAxNOC9O4hLooVh_trVMawrYonOXscurAOoRem6bJlKA0E

An interesting article, about the US military,

"Congress thinks there are too many generals and flag officers holding positions in the Defense Department."

mariomike said:
An interesting article, about the US military
The US downsizing their GO/FO numbers could provide a knock-on effect for Canada.

For example, do those RMC cadets really  need a BGen?  Of course not..... but West Point, USAFA, Annapolis all have a 1-star, therefore....

mariomike said:
An interesting article, about the US military,

"Congress thinks there are too many generals and flag officers holding positions in the Defense Department."

Thanks tips, or are you Capt Obvious ?  Its not like we are immune to outside influences...

Journeyman said:
The US downsizing their GO/FO numbers could provide a knock-on effect for Canada.

For example, do those RMC cadets really  need a BGen?  Of course not..... but West Point, USAFA, Annapolis all have a 1-star, therefore....

Solid questions that need to be asked.

Halifax Tar said:
Thanks tips, or are you Capt Obvious ? 

My intent was not to offend you. Sorry if you took it that way.

Journeyman said:

Strictly on 3rd-hand info, aren't the US service academies about 4-5x the number of folks than RMC?  If so, why would RMC need a 1-star even if the other Cmdts are of that rank? 

Dimsum said:
Strictly on 3rd-hand info, aren't the US service academies about 4-5x the number of folks than RMC?  If so, why would RMC need a 1-star even if the other Cmdts are of that rank?

About 20 years ago I took a look at our PF GOs in early 1939. Proportionally we had more then in terms of size of our permanent force, but of lesser rank. RMC was commanded by Brigadier HDG Crerar, if memory serves me.

Back