• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Junior Officer Development Programme (CFJOD)

I completed CAFJOD Mod 7 before last fall and it is already on my MPRR.  I co-worker started another Mod and it was cancelled during the serial.  He's waiting for further options.  I've already registered for another Mod.

There's a lot of good information here!

I noticed that few here have mentioned that NCM’s Defense and Security Program through Algonquin College, that aside I just wanted to clarify:

- It sounds that I as an NCM that have 2 OPMEs done, can go-ahead and do distance learning at RMC once I have registered as an official student “interest, distance learning” or what have you category. Once registration goes through I can do the 3 remaining courses through RMC. - (based on the old OPME-course program)

If I were to do that, using ILP…the individual courses would be reflected on the MPRR and I would be credited for the completing of the OPME/CAFJOD program? Is that the gist of it? Has anyone had any success getting the courses going this route?

TChuki said:
There's a lot of good information here!

I noticed that few here have mentioned that NCM’s Defense and Security Program through Algonquin College, that aside I just wanted to clarify:

- It sounds that I as an NCM that have 2 OPMEs done, can go-ahead and do distance learning at RMC once I have registered as an official student “interest, distance learning” or what have you category. Once registration goes through I can do the 3 remaining courses through RMC. - (based on the old OPME-course program)

If I were to do that, using ILP…the individual courses would be reflected on the MPRR and I would be credited for the completing of the OPME/CAFJOD program? Is that the gist of it? Has anyone had any success getting the courses going this route?

I personally know of at least one person that completed their last OPME doing exactly that, and got the completion certificate.  But I'm not sure how much longer the OPME program will exist to grant the certificate, something to ask your local BPSO.

Good day,

I just finished the last of the OPME courses in December. I had one of the University level courses and one of the Professional level courses completed prior to the end date of the previous OPME program’s demise. As previously mentioned, if you had one of the Universities level courses completed prior to the end date, you can continue the program. In order to this you need to apply for an ILP at the CDA website and then apply to RMC as either an Interest Only or Visiting Student (or as an Undergraduate if you plan to carry on with your education). I had no problem getting into any of the courses I needed, however after the disappointment of getting turned down so often with the old program, I ensured I registered early each semester.

I received my final grades on 20 Jan 14. I then emailed the continuing education people at RMC and they ensured that the courses I did under the old program were transferred for University credit at RMC. At the same time I was put in touch with a member at CDA who transferred my University credits to OPME credits, these credits showed up on my MPRR on 24 Jan 14.

I don’t know the end date for getting the old OPME program credits; however, if you’re interested, act fast. Some of the RMC courses (used in the method I’ve outlined above) are currently on the chopping block and may not be offered in the future.

I’m currently finishing up the DMASc program and recommend that if you’re interested in obtaining a Degree, just go for it. The hassles of obtaining the Diploma first are not worth it. I was lead to believe that I could roll the DMASc into a BMASc and only have to complete 10 courses for a 3 year RMC degree. This is incorrect. Of the 20 courses you do in the Diploma, you’ll get credit for the Diploma (10 credits) and one credit for each RMC course you have completed. (5 credits, there are 5 RMC courses involved in the DMASc program). This means you still need to complete 15 courses to complete a BMASc, for a total of 35 credits over the two programs. If you just apply to RMC into a 3 year Degree program it takes only 30 credits to complete. Just my thoughts.

As for the Defence and Security Certificate through Algonquin College, I can see why the CF is pushing it; they spent a lot of time and money developing it with Algonquin. It’ll be a great opportunity for those looking for some minor post-secondary education. However, if you’re interested in going on to a Degree, ensure this is the correct path for you. Do your homework to ensure you don’t waste your time on education that can’t be easily transferred to future programs you may be interested in. Again, just my thoughts.

I hope this information helps everyone.

Stephen Amos

Its going to be very interesting if/when they cut academic reimbursment.

After getting this new NCM PD set up to replace the OPME program for NCMs, I think you will see a drastic decrease in people taking this if they have to eat the cost. Even at 50% reimbursment, thats still almost 200 dollars per course coming out of our pockets as opposed to nothing before.

sidemount said:
Its going to be very interesting if/when they cut academic reimbursment.

After getting this new NCM PD set up to replace the OPME program for NCMs, I think you will see a drastic decrease in people taking this if they have to eat the cost. Even at 50% reimbursment, thats still almost 200 dollars per course coming out of our pockets as opposed to nothing before.

Especially if officers get their CAFJOD for free, and we have to pay for ours....

amos933 said:
Good day,

I just finished the last of the OPME courses in December. I had one of the University level courses and one of the Professional level courses completed prior to the end date of the previous OPME program’s demise. As previously mentioned, if you had one of the Universities level courses completed prior to the end date, you can continue the program. In order to this you need to apply for an ILP at the CDA website and then apply to RMC as either an Interest Only or Visiting Student (or as an Undergraduate if you plan to carry on with your education). I had no problem getting into any of the courses I needed, however after the disappointment of getting turned down so often with the old program, I ensured I registered early each semester.

I received my final grades on 20 Jan 14. I then emailed the continuing education people at RMC and they ensured that the courses I did under the old program were transferred for University credit at RMC. At the same time I was put in touch with a member at CDA who transferred my University credits to OPME credits, these credits showed up on my MPRR on 24 Jan 14.

I don’t know the end date for getting the old OPME program credits; however, if you’re interested, act fast. Some of the RMC courses (used in the method I’ve outlined above) are currently on the chopping block and may not be offered in the future.

I’m currently finishing up the DMASc program and recommend that if you’re interested in obtaining a Degree, just go for it. The hassles of obtaining the Diploma first are not worth it. I was lead to believe that I could roll the DMASc into a BMASc and only have to complete 10 courses for a 3 year RMC degree. This is incorrect. Of the 20 courses you do in the Diploma, you’ll get credit for the Diploma (10 credits) and one credit for each RMC course you have completed. (5 credits, there are 5 RMC courses involved in the DMASc program). This means you still need to complete 15 courses to complete a BMASc, for a total of 35 credits over the two programs. If you just apply to RMC into a 3 year Degree program it takes only 30 credits to complete. Just my thoughts.

As for the Defence and Security Certificate through Algonquin College, I can see why the CF is pushing it; they spent a lot of time and money developing it with Algonquin. It’ll be a great opportunity for those looking for some minor post-secondary education. However, if you’re interested in going on to a Degree, ensure this is the correct path for you. Do your homework to ensure you don’t waste your time on education that can’t be easily transferred to future programs you may be interested in. Again, just my thoughts.

I hope this information helps everyone.

Stephen Amos

Thank you for taking the time to post this.
It is exactly what I was hoping to see, current update and first hand knowledge.

Good day,
There were a lot of questions in this thread.
I will try to answer the main points.
1. For those still unsure, the OPME programme administered by RMC is officially cancelled since summer 2013. The new programme is called CAFJOD (Canadian Armed Forces Junior Officer Develpment) developed by CFLRS. It is completely online, and it is only available for officers to register, but the content is available to anyone with a DLN account. There is a professional development programme for NCMs. Look for CANFORGEN 107/13.

2.  There are 4 of 7 modules launched. The last three will be made available between now and September 2014. You can find the calendar on our website.

3. If you have already started the OPME programme, you will need to complete a combination of 6 courses (e.g. 3 OPME and 3 CAFJOD). Some are mandatory. Details can be found in CANFORGEN 218/12.

4. DLN is the new learning management system for DND. We have received a lot of comments with regards to that system. However, we have no choice in the selection of the platform. We understand that it is quite unstable at the moment and not very user friendly. We have step by step instructions to eliviate any difficulties that you may have.

Does anyone know if completion of the DSC or DMASc is listed on your MPRR (as OPME's are/were)?  And if so, is this done through your OR or CM?

Thanks

Hey there,

It is implied in CANFORGEN 67/13 that completing CAFJOD is required for promotion, but it's not spelled out anywhere that I can find that a member must have CAFJOD complete in order to be a substantive Major. At least, I haven't been able to find a reference. I think this will be a particular issue for the Reserves, given their lack of general access to DWAN, and the reluctance of the reserve world to promote Acting/Lacking.

Ostrozac said:
given their lack of general access to DWAN, and the reluctance of the reserve world to promote Acting/Lacking.

Lack of general access to DWAN mitigated by walking into home unit and accessing a computer with DWAN access.

"Reluctance" based on what?

blackberet17 said:
Lack of general access to DWAN mitigated by walking into home unit and accessing a computer with DWAN access.

Only mitigated if there's a resonable IM/IT template, which there is not.  Far too few computers in most Reserve unit lines.

CAFJOD mods are avail on DLN, which is accessible from ANY computer with Internet access. I've completed three of seven mods so far, started my fourth two weeks ago, and have not encountered any issues with accessing content from home. DWAN not required thus far, except for ONE link, which took all of five minutes to get access to from a DWAN computer...

CombatMacguyver said:
Does anyone know if completion of the DSC or DMASc is listed on your MPRR (as OPME's are/were)?  And if so, is this done through your OR or CM?
Those are academic programs. Academic programs are listed on the MPRR in the Education Data section, which can be updated by your OR.

blackberet17 said:
CAFJOD mods are avail on DLN, which is accessible from ANY computer with Internet access. I've completed three of seven mods so far, started my fourth two weeks ago, and have not encountered any issues with accessing content from home. DWAN not required thus far, except for ONE link, which took all of five minutes to get access to from a DWAN computer...

While everybody works at their own pace when doing distance courses, how much time did you have to devote? I work rotating shift and would like to start these, but not if I can't balance it against my work and home life.

blackberet17 said:
"Reluctance" based on what?

The LFCA (4 Div) directive on promotions states that a Reserve member promoted acting/lacking needs to earn the qualification during the next year or the rank gets taken down. Given the difficulty the army has in forecasting reserve positions (and member's availability) on career courses, leadership seems very reluctant to recommend such promotions. But that's just what I've seen in LFCA. I can't speak to the rest of the reserves.

Regular acting/lacking promotions, on the other hand, seem very common, and the Reg Force seems quite comfortable having people being acting/lacking for an extended period of time. My QL6A course, for example, was half MCpl, half A/L Sgt.

ModlrMike said:
While everybody works at their own pace when doing distance courses, how much time did you have to devote? I work rotating shift and would like to start these, but not if I can't balance it against my work and home life.
Good day,
The duration depends on the module.
For example, we have assessed mod 3 to take approximately 6 hours while mod 6 could take up to 17 hours.
The modules are broken down by lessons making it easier for you to pace your learning.

Hope this helps.
Capt CAFJOD

So, the OPME programme is no longer available and the CAFJOD that replace isn't open to NCM. On the topic of NCM education, what would you propose to a NCM with a MA in Political science as a way forward? It seems to me that the DSC would be a waste of time at this point (any feedback would be appreciated). I am looking for suggestions on short online education programs for profesionnal development/military education purpose. I browsed the course offering on DLN that are opened for registration and nothing seems relevant (please correct me on this).

Thanks for your ideas and input.

French language training?

DLN has a few courses, but nothing really special yet.

Back