• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian driver to debut in NASCAR at Talladega

Haggis

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Shared with the usual legal mumbo jumbo firmly in mind:

Famed Canadian Indy Car and F1 champion Jacques Villeneuve is set to debut in his first NASCAR race this Sunday.

Apparently some other NASCAR drivers aren't to happy about it, notably Kevin Harvick, who was almost beaten by another rookie Canadian, open wheel driver Patrick Carpentier, at the NASCAR Busch Series race in Montréal.  The Montréal race was Carpentier's first NASCAR start.  Maybe Harvick doesn't like to race Canadians?

Too bad Villeneuve didn't debut in Montréal.  It would've been cool to see him win on his Dad's namesake track.

I guess he justs wants to go fast..... all i can think of is Ricky Bobby

Jacques is a very opinionated driver...... he'll get along well with the red necks :)

geo said:
Jacques is a very opinionated driver...... he'll get along well with the red necks :)

I wonder how long it will take him to go toe-to-toe with Tony Stewart?

Heh.... in  the driver's seat OR the hot seat?

Jacques is very good at finding and pressing all the right/wrong buttons.

We'll see how he does, Montoya has found out the hard way that it's an entirely different sport... can't wait to see a CDN rippin around 'Dega though.

Haggis said:
I wonder how long it will take him to go toe-to-toe with Tony Stewart?

Tony whines about everyone so it wont take long......

Jr will hate him because he will lose 5 seconds of media spotlight to Villeneuve

Montoya will spin out Villeneuve just to welcome him to the series

NASCAR .......New Age Sport Centered Around Rednecks

Given that Jacques drove like a redneck (even behind the wheel of an F1 racer) Jacques should feel right at home.

CDN Aviator said:

:rofl:

Even though I'm a NASCAR fan, I must say that IS funny!!

CDN Aviator said:
Montoya will spin out Villeneuve just to welcome him to the series

Before he pulls anything like that, Montoya should remember his roots.  He wrecked in his first Nextel Cup race in 2006, the last race of the season.  (He's doing better this year but still has a long way to go.)

Following Montoya's first NASCAR race, one of his remarks was that NASCAR drivers are a much more sociable bunch off-track than F1 drivers.  Clearly, Harvick and Gordon hadn't voiced an opinion about him.... yet.

CDN Aviator said:

Haggis said:

But it's presenting the premise that NASCAR is actually a sport rather then "sports-entertainment" along the lines of professional wrestling. ;)

It will be interesting to see Villeneuve though....

Haggis said:

I'm a fan too.......

Before he pulls anything like that, Montoya should remember his roots.  He wrecked in his first Nextel Cup race in 2006, the last race of the season.  (He's doing better this year but still has a long way to go.)

Montoya......."i'll either win or crash"

Gordon hadn't voiced an opinion about him.... yet.

Who cares what Gordon thinks

CDN Aviator said:
Montoya......."i'll either win or crash"

Well he 0 and 1 this year!

DirtyDog said:
But it's presenting the premise that NASCAR is actually a sport rather then "sports-entertainment" along the lines of professional wrestling. ;)

It certainly started out as "sport".  However the same could be said about the NFL, NBA or NHL to some extent.  What separates "professional" wrestling and NASCAR is:

1. Your little kids can watch NASCAR and not be intimidated by the "characters"/athletes. They're not overtly threatening, perpetually angry juice monkeys.
2. NASCAR is a team sport.  The pit crews train like SWAT teams and if the driver doesn't work with his pit, the team loses.
3. The drivers are well mannered, well groomed gentlemanly types (well, with the exception of Tony Stewart), for whom presenting a professional and positive impression of the sport is as important as winning.

Back