• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Army gets a new flag (2016)

Jarnhamar said:
“These changes are collectively directed at promoting the military traditions that shape our Army,” said LGen Wynnyk. “Our symbols and history increase the pride that each soldier feels in their trade and duty within the Canadian Army. Maximizing corps and regimental identity is key to our soldiers’ personal and collective esprit de corps.”
:salute:
This had to have been started before LGen Wynnyk was handed the keys to the Titanic  Command of the Army.  I can't give up on him yet -- especially since the words sound identical to drivel rationale of the prior Command Team  (ie - let's lose the Army Sergeant-Major next!  ....and bring in someone who understands that soldiers aren't quitting because they can't wear badges on their CADPAT  ::)  )

The change in ranks was politically driven by the last government and I was hoping that the new government would stop this nonsense but I was wrong.

I don't think that it is the work of one man, but a cabal of like-minded individuals who want us to look like the British Army because for them they think that this will improve the Army's morale.  This brings me to another logical deduction, how can our very senior Officers and NCMs in charge believe that the majority of us wants this?  It makes me shudder at what could possibly be next.  Thankfully I shall be retiring in a few more years.

Happy Guy said:
The change in ranks was politically driven by the last government and I was hoping that the new government would stop this nonsense but I was wrong.

I don't think that it is the work of one man, but a cabal of like-minded individuals who want us to look like the British Army because for them they think that this will improve the Army's morale.

Except for General's ranks... those are too important to change due to the possibility that allies (read- Americans) may mistake a general for someone else.

Bird_Gunner45 said:
Except for General's ranks... those are too important to change due to the possibility that allies (read- Americans) may mistake a general for someone else.

Uh...like another Commonwealth GOFO?

Bird_Gunner45 said:
It's an easy mistake to make with distinctive combat and DEU's the clearly identify us as Canadians.

Pfft.  "Reading".  "Flags". 

Journeyman said:
By Pat Bryden, Army History and Heritage......        :not-again:
MCG said:
So who is that guy?  I heard his name attached to the return of British ranks and to the last new flag of two years ago.  Is he an EX-something with a staff and no responsibility but to reinvent the aesthetic?
Rifleman62 said:
Army G1 Heritage as a Public Servant.
So, I would guess that makes him an EX-01 or EX-02 with a staff of some size?  How much does that consume in the way of SWE, PYs and the attention of senior committees and generals?  Where we annually return large sums of Vote 5 Capital, this fashion and bling organization represents an actual operational requirement not staffed, not procured, and not implemented.

Rifleman62 said:
Back to Liberal Red.
I suspect the change has more to do with either an individual's (or individuals') fetish for our colonial roots and a move back toward the Red Ensign, or (and more likely) an attempt to connect with Red Fridays (and potentially usurp that to an Army thing as opposed to a support for all CAF members).  Red seemed to start taking more prominence in Army identity while the Conservatives were still in office, including the colour taking a position of prominence in recent past Army Run participant shirts.

dangerboy said:
I actually prefer the look of the previous flag, I don't think the maple leaf looks very professional. Also maybe I am just a simple soldier but can someone explain to me how this flag does this "reinforcing the link between the brave veterans of Afghanistan and the Cold War period with the heroes of First and Second World Wars and Korea".
Maybe it is not about the soldiers.  Maybe it is about a public perception, or simply the whims of someone in Ottawa.  I don't know.  But just as the info graphic ignores that we have had a new flag for two years (because we would look silly replacing the flag again so soon), it also ignores the flag that we had during the Second World War (because the look of that flag does not really support this newest change at all).  An argument could be made that the new flag we are replacing has more connection to the Second World War than the newer flag we are getting.

Canadian_Army_Battle_Flag.jpg
Flag_of_the_Canadian_Army_%282014%29.png
1939 to 19442014 to 2016

But the info graphic is brought to us by the same organization that produced a PowerPoint lecture explaining how British rank improved interoperability with the US Army because both systems used a single "superior national symbol" to show the rank of major (while conveniently neglecting to mention that there was actually nothing common between UK and US systems). The truth will be presented only to the extent as will justify the conclusion.

Chris Pook said:
Given that the Canadian Army flag was the Red Ensign, ie the Canadian national flag up until 1968, then shouldn't the Canadian Army flag just be the current Canadian national flag? 

1280px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png
So, something more RMC like with an Army badge on a field of white between two fields of red?  Maybe that will be next ... and to be more like the national flag, shouldn't we go back to a single leaf?
:stirpot:

Attachments

• Another Newer Army Flag.png
    Another Newer Army Flag.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,922
  • Yet Another Newer Army Flag.png
    Yet Another Newer Army Flag.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 605
Unless I am missing some detail that I cannot observe right now, isn't the "new" Army flag just unveiled the very same as the one you put as being  the "new" flag from 2014 to 2016, MCG?

Then isn't the "announcement' of the unveiling perhaps just a delayed "official" unveiling of the flag that came into being in 2014?

It certainly looks like it to me.

Damn: Yet one more thing to blame of the Conservatives.  :facepalm:

Nope.  Somebody just changed the file on the other end of my link.  I will have to fix that.

MCG said:
... fetish for our colonial roots ...

Oiyup with yer fetishes, Colonial!.  No need for whips and chains hereabouts.

The Army needs a revision of the continental staff system to include provisions for a 10 Cell.  This cell would advise commanders on all forms of fashion, art and music as our entire Army is seriously lacking in all three departments.  Nothing worse than walking in to an Officers Mess and seeing Majors and Lieutenant Colonels wearing the same collared shirt they bought at Value Village back when they were subalterns along with their Merrell hiking shoes.  Meanwhile, jeans are still banned from the mess, even if they're designer quality and fit nicely with a blazer. 

In other words, we need a fashion police, who could also provide valuable feedback on colour coordination and be a filter for crap art work and swag that comes out of the various PR depts within the institution!

Humphrey Bogart said:
Meanwhile, jeans are still banned from the mess, even if they're designer quality and fit nicely with a blazer. 

Not in RCAF Messes, at least the ones I've been to.  :nod:

*insert joke about how the Air Force doesn't have "traditions", only "habits"*

That means another effin' bin of flags at the war surplus store to maneuver around.

MCG said:
So, I would guess that makes him an EX-01 or EX-02 with a staff of some size?  How much does that consume in the way of SWE, PYs and the attention of senior committees and generals?  Where we annually return large sums of Vote 5 Capital, this fashion and bling organization represents an actual operational requirement not staffed, not procured, and not implemented.
I followed up and found he is an AS-06 (one step down from EX-01).  In ADM(Mat) his SWE would buy a PM for a major crown project.

MCG said:
I followed up and found he is an AS-06 (one step down from EX-01).  In ADM(Mat) his SWE would buy a PM for a major crown project.

While he may be down one on the org chart, generally it would be AS-06, AS-07, then EX-01.

Pay scales: https://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpubs/coll_agre/rates-taux-eng.asp and https://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/psm-fpfm/pay-remuneration/rates-taux/rapaceexunemtb-eng.asp

No, no, no!  You guys have got it all wrong.  I think all formation commanders should design, sew and embroider from a rocking chair by candle light, his/her own flag on assuming command.

Given that the Army HQ dictates units/sub-units/sub-sub-units for the Managed Readiness Plan, at least that would give formation commanders something to do.

Mission Command in the Canadian Army is a theory, not something practised day by day.

Nikola Canada said:
Then you might like this version someone posted on Reddit:

2esg7mcfvvcx.png

We need a weaponized flag like this that can induce epileptic seizures in the enemy. The future is now.

Back