• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's newest special forces unit began training

Armymedic said:
Who said the CF was going to transport them?

But if we don't transport them it will take more than just a few hours to get them going, and that defeats the purpose.

No problem. We negotiate and plead with big brother america who usually likes having his small but scrappy pal Canuck beside him  ;D

Journeyman said:
But as mentioned, parachuting is just how an airborne unit gets to work. The key terrain (pun) is their ability to conduct combat operations once at the DZ. Nothing around Trenton provides an adequate training venue.
What if "they" re-appropriated that land near Point Petre (a la Gagetown in the 1950's)?  Do the plough jockeys still roam that neck of the woods?  (The Guards used to have ranges and stuff down there)

ArmyRick said:
No problem. We negotiate and plead with big brother america who usually likes having his small but scrappy pal Canuck beside him  ;D

haha. That would be nice but I doubt they'd be in too much of a hurry to deploy our troops.

civvy3840 said:
haha. That would be nice but I doubt they'd be in too much of a hurry to deploy our troops.

You would be surprised on how much the US bends over backwards to help the CF out.

civvy3840 said:
Ex-Dragoon said:
You would be surprised on how much the US bends over backwards to help the CF out.
.....as well as many other nations, large and small, in order to get a functioning coalition of the willing deployed and operating. It's not new; as long as there are coalitions, there wil be strengths and weaknesses, requirements and contributions....

vonGarvin said:
What if "they" re-appropriated that land near Point Petre (a la Gagetown in the 1950's)?  Do the plough jockeys still roam that neck of the woods?  (The Guards used to have ranges and stuff down there)
The Hastings & Prince Edward Regiment has been pretty much limited to training at Mountain View. I'm not sure how well land appropriations would go, just using the land-squabbles around Dwyer Hill as an indicator. Maybe people in Ontario have more lawyers than the people of Gagetown did in the '50s  ;)

Journeyman said:
The Hastings & Prince Edward Regiment has been pretty much limited to training at Mountain View. I'm not sure how well land appropriations would go, just using the land-squabbles around Dwyer Hill as an indicator. Maybe people in Ontario have more lawyers than the people of Gagetown did in the '50s  ;)
Naw, just that those around Summer Hill and Jerusalem and Dunn's Corner were mostly Germans, and it was the 1950's.  The Irish Catholics of Enniskillen (where I now live) were able to keep their land (see the map and how it cuts across the rail line there) :D

vonGarvin said:
Naw, just that those around Summer Hill and Jerusalem and Dunn's Corner were mostly Germans...
Isn't it a bit ironic to have Germans living in a place called Jerusalem, especially in the 50s ??  ;)

Ex-Dragoon said:

I do realize that the US does do a lot for the CF, however I would imagine that they have their own list of priorities to take care of first. Which could mean that CSOR would have to wait awhile before being deployed. I'm not sure if this is correct or not but if it isn't please feel free to correct me.

civvy3840 said:
Which could mean that CSOR would have to wait awhile before being deployed.
.....which is why the Defence Minister's top two stated priorities are strategic airlift and tactical airlift.1

See http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/42844/post-375604.html#msg375604

-----------------------
1 Footnoted because it's not relevant to the CSOR Training thread. Political cynicism prevents me from cheering too loudly. While the Conservative government is likely secure until the end of 2006, once the Liberals sort out their leadership, he/she/it has time to build some public recognition & credibility, and the war-chest is rebuilt, we're back to the polls. Tearing up defence contracts solely on the basis of their being negotiated by a previous governmen is not uncommon, regardless of logic or penalties incurred (financially or to the troops desperately needing said equipment). When I actually see a new C-130, C-17, two-seater Sopwith Camel, etc, on the ramp at Trenton, then I'll murmur an appropriately boisterous ~WOO-freakin' -HOO~

As for airlift - despite the bad news,( or should I say lack of news ?) on C-17's for the Air Force in Tuesday's budget (which would be based at Trenton) the MND was strongly hinting yesterday that the buy is still on among  "6-8 items" on the DND's shopping list - he said he had the money and was waiting for cabinet approval.  We can only hope, for the sake of the CSOR that medium lift choppers are on that list!  

And while I'm on the subject of choppers,  DND should really be taking a hard look at the US Army's Bell 407-based Recce chopper (the airframe is built in Montreal) I'm sure the special ops guys would appreciate the armed support/scout capability in places like Afghanistan and the ability to transport special ops teams of 4-5 operators.

Full story on MND's comments is on Canada.com, search "o'connor"

BTW will the former RCD guy I spoke to today at the T.O. Police graduation please stand up?  You were on TV, guy!  The Colour Party looked sharp, even the rank and file's drill was not bad!

Back