• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada Post Woes (merged)

Two suggestions, one, just cross out the address and put RTS on it (I know it's not really the nicest thing to do, but if it gets it out of your possession, do it :p) Or 2) Ambush the letter carrier as he is coming, it involves a stakeout-like approach, but can be done very easily (it happens to me very often). It's pretty much guaranteed you won't see it again. Sometimes, if someone just leaves a single letter in their mailbox, with no indication it was misdelivered, I leave it, but only because I'm a term, and have no idea who lives in which houses. But the post-it should be a telltale sign... Your letter carrier is a fool. And Pea, again, it was mostly the fault of the specific clerk at the retail postal outlet, not Canada Post itself, that caused your troubles. He/she violated Canada Post procedure, but I don't think it's up to Canada Post to deal with any disciplinary action, because those postal outlets are merely on contract with Canada Post, we pay them to take our carded items.
-Fyuri

That's fine. I just have a huge issue in the way accountability seems to mean nothing to a lot of people these days. People so often just "pass the buck". The postal carrier managed to go from apartment "B2" to "102". I see a big difference there. And then the "contract postal outlet" allowed some random person to then sign for a package that wasn't theirs. I know "crap happens", and I got my package in the end because of a nice person. I just hate when I lose faith in yet another system. I know I'll stay away from Canada Post after this, as much as I can. If I was to accidentally send one of my tenant's legal documents to the wrong address or allow someone else to sign for these confidential documents, I'd be leaving work with my belongings in a box. As it should be, because of a little thing called accountability. And that's my rant for the night.  ;)

xo31@711ret said:
A couple days ago I received a letter in my mailbox with the wrong name and address; so I put a large post-it sticky with 'WRONG NAME / WRONG ADDRESS' in bold, large black felt tip letters. About every noon when home, I usually hear my mail box quickly open and close by the mail carrier. Today I hear my mailbox open, a good  seconds pass by and then close. Later, I go open my mailbox , get my mail, and low and behold, there's the same letter with the sticky on it sitting on the side of the mailbox. Will try again tomorrow... ::)

If you are just leaving it in the mailbox they will probably never see it. It's not like a rural mailbox where they are looking for outgoing mail. Drop it in the mailbox on the street corner or if you have a StupidMailbox in the outgoing slot, and it will go away and never come back (at least that one).

Hi Paul, I left it in the mailbox with sticky sitting end up so he had to have seen it (done it yesterday also; still there). But thanx, never occurred to me ::)  to just put it in a mailbox so it could be delivered to the appropriate address. Must be the Alzheimer's catching up on me...

All the time when i was picking up stuff i was asked for id. Probably because in most cases those were rifle case sized objects with $500-700 CoD attached to them  ;D

Greetings,

A few days ago, I had come home to find a package that I had received in the mail had arrived from the states. I ordered a mint condition of PC Accelerator 1999 from Ebay. Immediately I noticed that the envelopes were cut open and taped closed. Okay. I open all the envelopes and take out the CDs from their holsters and they're both scratched - one terribly worse than the other.

I tried to go their site and see if I can file a damaged parcel claim, but apparently only the sender can initiate it- and even if he did, he can't start the ticket because his postal code is not a Canadian one.
dfs
What can I do? I'm trying to collect these things and this one  was pretty ****ing hard to find so I'm about to have an aneurysm.

Cheers.

Shepard said:
Greetings,

A few days ago, I had come home to find a package that I had received in the mail had arrived from the states. I ordered a mint condition of PC Accelerator 1999 from Ebay. Immediately I noticed that the envelopes were cut open and taped closed. Okay. I open all the envelopes and take out the CDs from their holsters and they're both scratched - one terribly worse than the other.

I tried to go their site and see if I can file a damaged parcel claim, but apparently only the sender can initiate it- and even if he did, he can't start the ticket because his postal code is not a Canadian one.
dfs
What can I do? I'm trying to collect these things and this one  was pretty ****ing hard to find so I'm about to have an aneurysm.

Cheers.

IIRC correctly only CBSA can open mail and if they do they usually seal it again by using CBSA yellow tape with  OPENED BY CBSA printed on it. If your package does not have this then I would hazard a guess that the seller opened the package...

NFLD Sapper said:
If your package does not have this then I would hazard a guess that the seller opened the package...

Why would the seller bother opening the package?

jeffb said:
If it doesn't have the CBSA tape then that is the conclusion that makes the most sense. Check out http://pages.ebay.ca/ebay-money-back-guarantee/. Have you tried sending a message to the buyer? Often people on EBay will bend over backwards to avoid a negative rating.

There's no tape or any sort of mark.

I've messaged the seller and he told me he is contacting Ebay about the issue a few days ago. I'm annoyed about how my **** was being opened up unwarrantably. I've been looking all over the CP site for a way to contact them about this or to create a ticket but so far it's a maze.

I'm planning on going to the local processing building  that my package was delivered to on Monday.

The biggest problem is tracking down who opened (and possibly damaged) the item
Coming from the United States it could be U.S Postal Inspectors.
https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/contactUs/faq.aspx
Or it could be CBSA (found this link) http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/menu-eng.html
Or possibly Canada Post (found this link) https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/support/helpcentre/receiving/damaged_letter.jsf?ssl=1
or maybe the sender on eBay poorly packed and shipped an already damaged 1999 PC Accelerator (it is possible)
No answers for you, just some links to check for further investigation

Tom

You'll be extremely lucky to get any sort of satisfaction from Canada Post. The complaint system is set up the way it is so they receive no complaints and when they do, they seldom if ever investigate or take responsibility.

There are tons of cases out there where items under care of CP have been lost, damaged and outright stolen. The delivery people consistently fail to follow direction. If you say 'Do Not Safe Drop' you can almost guarantee you'll find it with your neighbour. Asking for a signature on delivery is a useless $1.50 charge. You'll come home and (hopefully) find your package laying on the porch for anyone passing by to pick up.

CP is an entity onto itself, similar to the CBC. They answer to no one.

I wouldn't start with the originator. I'd start with the people last handling the package and work back. You likey won't have to look very far.

recceguy said:
You'll be extremely lucky to get any sort of satisfaction from Canada Post. The complaint system is set up the way it is so they receive no complaints and when they do, they seldom if ever investigate or take responsibility.

There are tons of cases out there where items under care of CP have been lost, damaged and outright stolen. The delivery people consistently fail to follow direction. If you say 'Do Not Safe Drop' you can almost guarantee you'll find it with your neighbour. Asking for a signature on delivery is a useless $1.50 charge. You'll come home and (hopefully) find your package laying on the porch for anyone passing by to pick up.

CP is an entity onto itself, similar to the CBC. They answer to no one.

I wouldn't start with the originator. I'd start with the people last handling the package and work back. You likey won't have to look very far.

I would start with the originator. EBay is notoriusly bad for service. it's hit or miss on getting what you actually paid for.

I'm a Canada Post employee, Delivery agent in fact. 99% of us are good employee's but like any other business there are bad eggs. The culture within the PO uses intimidation to keep us in line. Fear of being fired for even the smallest infraction (even non delivery of a single piece of unaddressed admail!) Recceguy I'm sorry if you've had bad service, If i were your lettercarrier you'd begetting better. Please dont paint the entire system with the same wide brush.

I wish it were my letter carrier. The ones I have the beef with are the guys trying to empty their trucks asap and go home early. My letter carriers are good, even though they seem to change almost monthly.

You only have to go over to gunnutz and read how many firearms disappear in our postal system to get the gist. These are packages that are delivered to the post office and are never seen again.

Possible solutions to your problem are spelled FedEX, UPS, DHL....

Thucydides said:
Possible solutions to your problem are spelled FedEX, UPS, DHL....

Which always provide me excellent service. CANPAR are the only ones that will ship ammo. ;)

It is funny that location can have such an effect on service. Here in North East Alberta, Canada Post is my go to service provider. Things arrive on time, and even early. Yes, I have to go to the outlet to get my packages, but they are always there and in good shape.

By contrast, the courier companies here suck. Only one or two actually deliver, and everyone else subcontracts to them. The drivers are overworked, underpaid, and not what I would describe as motivated in any possible sense of the word. I've had friends who had people contact them because their package was found behind a gas station. Others can track their packages doing endless loops around the countryside, yet never getting delivered because the driver runs out of time. Locations that aren't open for pickup, and then parcels get sent back to Edmonton, because a single delivery attempt failed. The compnay who delivers to my wife's work often forces the girls to go out and take things off the truck because its to much of an effort for him to bring the bins up the four steps to take things inside. And they never take the empty bins back. Complaining gets you no where, except futher down the line for delivery.

captloadie said:
It is funny that location can have such an effect on service. Here in North East Alberta, Canada Post is my go to service provider. Things arrive on time, and even early. Yes, I have to go to the outlet to get my packages, but they are always there and in good shape.

By contrast, the courier companies here suck. Only one or two actually deliver, and everyone else subcontracts to them. The drivers are overworked, underpaid, and not what I would describe as motivated in any possible sense of the word. I've had friends who had people contact them because their package was found behind a gas station. Others can track their packages doing endless loops around the countryside, yet never getting delivered because the driver runs out of time. Locations that aren't open for pickup, and then parcels get sent back to Edmonton, because a single delivery attempt failed. The compnay who delivers to my wife's work often forces the girls to go out and take things off the truck because its to much of an effort for him to bring the bins up the four steps to take things inside. And they never take the empty bins back. Complaining gets you no where, except futher down the line for delivery.

At the same time, just like the military, people with no experience in actual customer service have made "Cost Saving" decisions at Canada Post that have lead to the continuing degradation of their service and customer base.  Back in the mid '80's Canada Post came up with the idea of Centralized Sorting Plants.  Sounds like, and perhaps was, a cost saving plan; but it came at the cost of Canadians losing "timely" postal service.  My example is: When posted to Gagetown, my mother living in Fredericton 20 km away would mail me a Birthday Card, which went into the mailbox in Fredericton, picked up and taken to their central office, put on a truck and driven right past my house to St John 60+ km away to be sorted and then driven back to Oromocto a minimum of seven days later.  Meanwhile, a Birthday card mailed in Germany to the same address, at the same time, took only three days to be delivered.  That was the start, in my opinion, to the gradual degradation in Canada Post service and the growth in consumer dissatisfaction.  Then became the brilliant idea of "Super Boxes" in the early '90's, as new subdivisions were built in metropolitan areas......Now to be expanded to older area that have mail delivered to their door.  Again, I think of my 90 year mother who has a walker, lives on a hill and no matter what the weather, will be forced to walk up and down a hill for her mail.  Canada Post is no longer a "Service Provider" but a corporation run by the "Mcdonald's Generation" of CEOs whose philosophy is to get in and out as fast as possible, with as much money as they can make, and damn the customer.  Canada Post has been on the road to 'self destruction' for years now.

George Wallace said:
Again, I think of my 90 year mother who has a walker, lives on a hill and no matter what the weather, will be forced to walk up and down a hill for her mail. 

To add to what George said, "...the possibility of women fleeing domestic abuse being located by their abusers staking out community mailboxes is possible."

Man who broke leg at super mailbox has a message for Canada Post
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/man-who-broke-leg-at-super-mailbox-has-a-message-for-canada-post-1.3033098
"...broke his ankle in three places stepping through a snow bank to get to a community mailbox..."

"Super mailboxes in B.C. targeted thousands of times, records reveal
More than 4,800 incidents reported in 130 communities between 2008 and 2013
Surrey B.C. resident Craig Findlay, 60, said his community mailbox has been plagued by 'non-stop break-ins' over the past decade, often in broad daylight."

"photos of super mailboxes with mounds of junk mail around them."

I’ve lived in the same 27 story (four floors of businesses and the rest residences) condo since 1988 and have gotten pretty agreeable Canada Post service.  We’ve just been informed by Canada Post, though, that the businesses in the building will no longer be able to have their mail dropped off at our manned front desk.  We need to provide lockable boxes like the residences have.  Canada Post will neither deliver to the individual offices nor drop the mail off at our front desk.  Also, anything for the businesses or residences that requires a signature will have to be signed by the addressee and not the security man or the item will be taken away and left at a postal outlet.  It was very convenient to have items delivered to our building and available at our front desk when we got home.  It is much less convenient to have to go to another location some days later to get the item.

Purolator, Fedex, UPS, Canpar, etc will all accept the security man's signature to leave an item.

I just had to write this because I just saw a TV commercial that ended with “Canada Post.  Delivering the online world.”

Back