• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada’s shrinking navy still valued by allies, analysts say

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Canada’s shrinking navy still valued by allies, analysts say
Published on Saturday July 14, 2012
Article Link

Canada’s navy isn’t exactly a juggernaut. According to Michael Hennessy, a professor of naval history at the Royal Military College in Kingston, the Canadian navy has 33 commissioned vessels but only 14 fighting ships.

“The ships Canada sent during the first Gulf War were immediately relegated to patrolling as far away from Iraq as possible so they didn’t get in harm’s way,” he said. “They are old.”

In 2008, the government promised to invest $490 billion in new equipment and upgrades, including new icebreakers and Arctic patrol ships.

Two years later, plans were announced to replace aging Canadian navy and coast guard vessels — including nine new ships at a cost of $194 million.

Hennessy said it’s unclear when new navy and coast guard vessels might be ready because formal contracts and design plans have not been finalized.

It is possible the new ships could be replaced by cheaper radar installations or a program that would give Canada underwater listening capabilities.

Still, the Canadian government appears determined to have an on-the-water presence in the North, particularly when countries are redefining international borders.

In the 1980s, the United Nations created the Law of the Sea treaty, which allowed countries to claim territory extending to the end of their continental shelf. Countries were given until 2014 to submit detailed maps with new proposed boundaries.
More on link

Could someone check my math here:

12 frigates + 3 destroyers + 4 subs + 2 tankers + 12 MCDVs + the Oriole = 34.

12 frigates + 3 destroyers + 4 subs = 19 'fighting ships'.

Do the subs count if they can't leave dock yet?

Careful, the Navy guys will tell you that as long as they can get up to ramming speed, all of our vessels can be considered "fighting vessels". >:D

PuckChaser said:

Are you talking about the submarines in the West Edmonton Mall? They leave the dock.

Cheers
Pop

PuckChaser said:

HMCS VICTORIA is currently in Hawaii, participating in EX RIMPAC 2012. I'm pretty sure she had to leave dock to do that.

http://www.army.mil/article/83489/

cupper said:
Careful, the Navy guys will tell you that as long as they can get up to ramming speed, all of our vessels can be considered "fighting vessels". >:D

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well, and live. " Judah Ben Hur  :)

CDN Aviator said:
HMCS VICTORIA is currently in Hawaii, participating in EX RIMPAC 2012. I'm pretty sure she had to leave dock to do that.

http://www.army.mil/article/83489/

Under her own power?  She could have been towed or Piggy Backed!

Here's hoping she performs well on the ex, and I look forward to pinging the crap out of it.  No sleep for you!

So according to the article we can operate anywhere in the world because of our supply ships?  We have 2 of them, so if one or both are damaged/destroyed we can no longer be considered valuable?  The article is a little vague and short in my opinion.

I ofcourse believe that we need more soldiers, sailors, airmen, ships, planes, etc.  Another rant for another time I suppose but how long do we allow the CF to be chipped away until there is a crisis and the people on the hill wake up and start thinking "what the **** do we do now?"  *sigh

Canadian.Trucker said:
So according to the article we can operate anywhere in the world because of our supply ships?  We have 2 of them, so if one or both are damaged/destroyed we can no longer be considered valuable?  The article is a little vague and short in my opinion.

I ofcourse believe that we need more soldiers, sailors, airmen, ships, planes, etc.  Another rant for another time I suppose but how long do we allow the CF to be chipped away until there is a crisis and the people on the hill wake up and start thinking "what the **** do we do now?"  *sigh

I agree with what you're saying, but to put it into perspective:  We aren't facing cuts like what is happening to the Brits and the Aussies.  The ADF is cutting $5 billion in one shot despite Australia having a boom cycle because of mining and natural resources, while the Brits are chopping regiments, airplanes, everything it can to stay "in the black". 

Some ADF folks are seeing the signs and starting to look our way...

Dimsum said:
I agree with what you're saying, but to put it into perspective:  We aren't facing cuts like what is happening to the Brits and the Aussies.  The ADF is cutting $5 billion in one shot despite Australia having a boom cycle because of mining and natural resources, while the Brits are chopping regiments, airplanes, everything it can to stay "in the black". 

Some ADF folks are seeing the signs and starting to look our way...
True.  We're better off then some, but I still want my cake and the bakery too.  I'm greedy like that  ;D

For the "our subs can't leave drydock" crowd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfgecbxU5cs&feature=player_embedded#!

Thanks.  Not exactly the earth shattering kaboom of the RAN shoot on video that everyone has seen.  But good to see her shoot nevertheless.

CDN Aviator said:

Please.  Those folks won't believe it's VIC until it surfaces, the crew lines up on the hull and you can point out their names on their NCDs to cross-check that they are, in fact, the crew.  Until then, they'll think it's still safely doing nothing in Esq  >:D

CDN Aviator said:

Impressive, only took 17 minutes to sink. 

CDN Aviator said:

If they can fake the moon landings on a Hollywood sound stage, this would be peanuts. >:D

Sheerin said:
Impressive, only took 17 minutes to sink.

And only 14 years to get that torpedo fired from the time we bought them.

Back