• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAN Officer Returns to AFG With Artificial Leg

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Bravo!  :salute:

Shortly after losing one of his legs while on duty in Afghanistan, Capt. Simon Mailloux asked his major how good his chances were of getting back to the battlefront.

Nearly two years later, Mailloux is sporting a high-tech prosthetic leg and preparing to return to the war-torn country in November.

"Although there were some rough patches, my determination to go back never faltered," he said in an interview Wednesday. "I want to finish the work we started."

The Quebec City native lost half of his left leg when the armoured vehicle he was commanding struck an improvised explosive device on Nov. 17, 2007. Two other soldiers — Cpl. Nicolas Beauchamp and Pte. Michel Levesque — were killed in the blast. Mailloux had to undergo four surgeries but recovered surprisingly fast.

The 25-year-old is said to be the first soldier to return to Afghanistan after a major amputation.

Mailloux credits the good rehabilitation techniques and advanced prosthetic leg technology for being able to return to the war zone. He also hinted at a shift of policy on the part of the Canadian Forces.

"It was a decision from the higher command to say we're taking an injured soldier and we'll work with him," Mailloux said.

The soldier said he didn't get preferential treatment and had to prove he could handle the rigours of redeploying to Afghanistan.

"I'm not as fast as I used to be, but I passed all the physical tests," he said, noting that with his prosthetic leg he walked 13 kilometres with a 60 pound load on his back in two hours and 22 minutes....

More here.

RTEmagicC_lemire_mailloux.jpg.jpg

- edited to fix spelling in subject, and adding photo -

I think I may print a copy of this article out, and hand it to people who complain about how hard the BFT is.

Inspiring story!  :salute:

Simon, from the first time I met him, was always determined to be at his best, always working to better himself and those around him. I'm very happy to see that while his body isn't what it used to be, his spirit remains intact. He is certainly an inspiration, even for those who do not know him personally. BZ to you, Simon and best of luck to you.

Good on him!

I'm amazed that this isn't all over the news.... I just double checked cbc and ctv and they have nothing on this story.  IMO, this is huge and should be reported on!  What a positive msg! 

Makes me wonder why they haven't picked ip up.  Or am I being jaded and cynical...

tree hugger said:
I'm amazed that this isn't all over the news.... I just double checked cbc and ctv and they have nothing on this story.  IMO, this is huge and should be reported on!  What a positive msg!
Since he appears to be working for the GG, it would be up to CBC outlets in Quebec City to chase and follow-up - we'll see how quickly that happens on such a great story.

tree hugger said:
Makes me wonder why they haven't picked ip up.  Or am I being jaded and cynical...
We'll just have to see how quickly broadcast media pick this up before passing judgement on whether you're right to be jaded and cynical  ;)  If you are, you wouldn't be alone here.

When they do pick it up, what are the odds the comments will be: "Neo-Bush Harper's bankrupt war forces amputees into combat" 

::)

Cynical, jaded, realistic.

It was already on the CBC site.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2009/09/24/quebec-afghanistan-injured-soldier.html

And in the Good Grey Globe:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/an-amputees-unfinished-business-in-afghanistan/article1299256/

Journeyman said:
When they do pick it up, what are the odds the comments will be: "Neo-Bush Harper's bankrupt war forces amputees into combat" 

::)

Cynical, jaded, realistic.

Yup!

Here's one from the Globe and Mail comments (link above):

"Articles about children burned alive waiting for free petrol don't have the proper optics for a feel good story."

In fairness, most of the others are pretty positive.

Journeyman, you win again - although a lot of comments on the CBC story are OK (even those from people who say they oppose the mission, but congratulate the Captain on his achievement), the dreck continues - my personal fave for sensitivity & tact:
"You want to do good, you want to make sure that this gonna happen well so the people [in Afghanistan] have the same chance as you," he said.

It's hard to believe that someone could become so completely delusional.

Perhaps he suffered a head injury affecting his reasoning centres as well as the loss of his leg.

He should be pretty safe behind a desk, though, unless he decides to hop our and join the fray.
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice...

dapaterson said:
It's from a comment on the CBC site - not from the media.

With regard to the decorum inherent in comments on most poorly moderated sites (Thank Sweet Zombie Jesus for our DS) upon the interwebs, I believe this particular webcomic captures it perfectly.

Although you may wish to not that some of the language is less than safe for work depending upon where you work.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19/

to captain mailoux
sir if i understand it correctly you are returning to a-stan
full duty... my question to you sir is.... why cant m/cpl
paul franklin,,, i want to hear it from you sir as an amputee
why you can return to active duty and m/cpl franklin cant..
as a double amputee...sir as a member of the canadian armed
forces who was realeased 3-b 1986 after proving i was cap-
able of performing my duties 1982 t0 1986 why your med
differs from m/cpl franklins...i dont expect a response on this
website as i have the utmost respect for said members..
having said that i can be reached at leigh111655@yahoo.com
or msn messenger...or you can pvt msg me capt......

wildman0101 said:
to captain mailoux
sir if i understand it correctly you are returning to a-stan
full duty... my question to you sir is.... why cant m/cpl
as a double amputee...sir as a member of the canadian armed
forces who was realeased 3-b 1986 after proving i was cap-
able of performing my duties 1982 t0 1986 why your med
differs from m/cpl franklins...i dont expect a response on this
website as i have the utmost respect for said members..
having said that i can be reached at leigh111655@yahoo.com
or msn messenger...or you can pvt msg me capt......

Are you for real?

Dude,

You realize it's 23 years later?  A few things may have changed since whatever happened to you?

wildman0101 said:
actually iam...

I highley doubt that this soldier(officer in the first statement) with the list of all his worries, he is going to be on this site too respond to such a stupid question, this man probley doesn't even know mcpl franklin nevermind say why he can't return to afghanistan.

wildman0101 said:
my question to you sir is.... why cant m/cpl
as a double amputee...\
ARE YOU THAT NAIVE!

loosing both you're legs is a huge differnce then loosing one, with the one leg still fully mobile he can operate in combat. mcpl franklin with 2 artifical limbs he would HAVE ALOT of trouble in afghanistan those prostetics (sp?) would not cover the abuse put on his body. the rucksack they carry is OVER 50 pounds this man would not be able to walk km's at a time with 2 artifical limbs, nevermind that he would have difficulty walking period...

Mcpl franklin is leaving the military to do something good, he is furthuring cause for war amputees, and speaking on there behalf. ( i believe sorry, been a little bit since i read his story)

brandon_ said:
loosing both you're legs is a huge differnce then loosing one, with the one leg still fully mobile he can operate in combat.
mcpl franklin with 2 artifical limbs he would HAVE ALOT of trouble in afghanistan those prostetics (sp?) would not cover the abuse put on his body.
the rucksack they carry is OVER 50 pounds this man would not be able to walk km's at a time with 2 artifical limbs, nevermind that he would have difficulty
walking period...

What experiance/knowledge/medical background do you have to say this?

Back